UK theme parks from another point of view!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Interesting. Giving the ride a complete check up to reassure the public it seems.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:25 pm

God I hope so, this is starting to feel like the build up to it opening for the first time, with about the same level of uncertainty about the date lol

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:49 pm

Ain't they the team who inspect all rides and attractions and pass them off every 12 months.
I think it was also theses who put the end of the Black Hole life at Alton Towers.

Air15
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Has anyone read the Birmingham Mail today because it's states that the smiler wouldn't be reopening for scare fest and that testing and work on the smiler is all to do with the on going investigation.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:25 pm

That's if you believe what you read in the news

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... r-10013481

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:39 pm

There's nothing in that article that suggests the Birmingham Mail have done anything other than read a few fan sites and review Towers Twitter feed.

Towers are still telling people on Twitter that "the ride is closed for the foreseeable future" and that "they have been running the ride empty as part of the ongoing process into the investigation"

A large proportion of that article is also covering old ground regarding the injuries that those on the front row suffered, as well as the financial implications that the incident has had on Merlin.

Not worth the paper it's written on.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 am

Wow that does read very much like a "calm down people it ain't opening" very strange. They have been down on the ride since the crash and that article, as Dan N says adds nothing to the mix, just hyperbole and opinion. Much like our own speculation just with a strange pessimism that feels endemic of the parent group (trinity mirror) as stated not worth the paper it's written on.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:24 am

'Alton towers have told us the smiler will be closed as part of the ongoing process for the foreseeable future' or something along the lines of that in them articles and similar. What are they meant to say in their tweets? The smiler is opening in a week! #getcorrected ? They can't exactly say it's re opening otherwise there would be a load of angry people saying they are marketing a ride, which should be lower profile and the media would be going crazy. If anything, this is actually good for them as there will be people, yes they are people who believe this silly newspapers, which in turn, makes everyone ignore them until after scare fest, and not realise it has opened.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:22 am

If it is LTC that again imo is another sign its re-opening is planned prior to season close. By the looks of things in addition to the new safety features these guys are conducting an in-depth assessment of The Smiler, this would again be done during closed season normally.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:59 am

I remember when H&S came to our factory for a surprise visit years ago. They checked the machines and gave us a report to what guards/safety items we needed to be done and a time scale when this needed to be done before they were coming back to inspect.
This will be the same case for the Smiler HSE has given them a list of things that needs sorting and they got this team in to do it instead so they know this time the ride will be 99.9% safe and getting the ride pasted off by HSE it be then Merlin choice when it's the best time to reopen the ride to the public.
They won't rush this as the ride really in the last chance saloon. We could also see a some theme changes afterwards as I guess making it safe is the most important at the moment.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:37 pm

I know it constantly goes back and forth depending on which person responds however again when asked if opening for Scarefest they responded with: No decisions have been made on this.

https://twitter.com/willctid11/status/6 ... 2463119361

I know its probably unlikely but I want to think positively and have hope it'll re-open soon. I'm on park tomorrow at CBeebies Land but will pop across and get some pics if anything is happening.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:56 pm

I think if there were no chance of it re-opening this season, then they would have said a clear "no" or "not for the foreseeable future". :lol

Personally I think Alton are trying to get it open soon but it is all going to be down to the necessarily upgrades/fixes and the HSE being satisfied enough to lift the prohibition on the ride. "So how long is a piece of string?" :D

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Another response today opting not to use "Foreseeable future" this time on FB. I'll leave it there now but these responses have me giddy with excitement, there is a slim chance I'll get to ride it again before 2016 :)

The Smiler is closed until further notice due to an ongoing investigation.

https://www.facebook.com/altontowersres ... 2091166201

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:24 pm

If the web team hadn't been told to, they wouldn't have changed their wording which shows their is something going on here.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

PJ.
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:01 am

Has any of the media asked for a comment on what happened from John Wardley? I know he would say no comment but I am surprised it hasn't been printed that he said no comment. Likewise with the manufacturer

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Perhaps they decided to stay away from the spotlight for a reason but it is interesting that they haven't made a statement.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:31 pm

PJ. wrote:
Has any of the media asked for a comment on what happened from John Wardley? I know he would say no comment but I am surprised it hasn't been printed that he said no comment. Likewise with the manufacturer

It isn't really anything to do with him though, he had a little bit to do with the design process but it wasn't really anything to do with the design or the manufacturer as to why the accident happened because it was designed to, under normal circumstances, be fast enough to get round the track, and to e-stop the ride if for whatever reason it doesn't.

The new train shouldn't have been sent round empty, especially on a windy day, it should have had water dummies in if the wheels hadn't had chance to warm up properly. And the ride did e-stop when the empty car didn't make it to the end of the block. Therefore neither design or ride system at fault.
I know we don't know if that was definitely how it happened but we can say that was the most likely scenario.

oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:30 pm

Can test cars be sent around the track with water dummies in whilst the ride is operating as usual? If it was particularly windy, would there be any reason (apart from time) that staff would not fill a car with water dummies before sending it around the track?

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Doubt it, pleasure beach take up 3/4 of the big ones train with sandbags when it's quite, and often add it to the back carriage anyway.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:25 pm

Smiler was testing again late on in the afternoon today sending two cars with weighted dummies around the circuit.