UK theme parks from another point of view!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:57 pm

At least one train was going around today full of test dummies, every seat. With that train coming out of the maintenance bay do we feel Alton Towers have received a new train?

As there is a discussion on TowersStreet facebook post about seeing the numbers on the fronts of the trains and since the accident 1, 2, 3 & 5 have been seen, that is impossible as surely those two are still in the lab.

Alex Tyler whos on here said he saw train 1, Zach Lowe (SmilerMan) on here said 3 & 5 were running and 2 has been seen on the track today and is pictured on TS from Paul Jones.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Maybe someone is swapping the numbers around to confuse enthusiasts :D

That does seem interesting, if there is a new train they didn't hang about getting it made did they.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:17 pm

Sawboss wrote:
That does seem interesting, if there is a new train they didn't hang about getting it made did they.

Throughput would be horrendous on a 3 train system imo considering the ride duration.

If a September 25th re-opening was considered (providing the prohibition notice has been lifted) maybe a postponement was decided as they knew throughput would not be ideal.

They knew they'd need to replace those two trains eventually ahead of next season so have got one now and because they take like 100 hours to break them in fully? the re-opening has been pushed back. If this is the case then I now see a re-opening being considered maybe opening it on a Monday (5th/12th).

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Was at towers today and The Smiler was being tested for the majority of the day with many different dummy combinations.
Btw who was the guy with shorts on today with a TT/SP lanyard on? Because at one point I was standing behind you watching smiler being tested lol.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Can anyone make out which train is dueling with 2 on the TS photo (I think it's 1)?

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:16 pm

Here is the train full of dummies. Photo from Stuart Rugg on TTSP FB, tried to find out it's number but its too pixelated :(

..not exactly the best photo opportunity point given 16 dummies are on the train at the time at that section of track :)

Everton-99
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Perhaps AT have recieved two halves of the trains that were undamaged - enabling them to have one extra train, i cannot see how allowing AT to have thos parts of the trains back would affect the investigation as surely its just the impact point/damaged parts they would be interested in?

Does anyone which two trains were involved in the crash and specifically which one had the front damage?

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:34 pm

Everton-99 wrote:
Perhaps AT have received two halves of the trains that were undamaged - enabling them to have one extra train.

That actually seems very logical. Going by reports from various sources 4 trains have been seen making the circuit in recent weeks with only 4.1 missing which would only mean that was the train which had the passengers on that day.

And thinking about it now what you said is more likely than having a whole new train manufactured, which brings me to say the recent additional train we've seen may be just that. Take the two front rows from the stalled train, the two back rows from the passenger train and form the fourth train.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:52 pm

If there's 4 trains then we won't be seeing another. Just like how the monorail runs on less trains after the cow one estopped at full speed, although it could still run on the same number of trains regardless. Even still, I'd imagine the damaged parts would be quite beyond repair anyway, with bits being cut off and the obvious crash.

ST-Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:18 pm

human error confirmed by nick varney, also hopes to reopen this year

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... hs-6524318

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:23 pm

“I think The Smiler should be taken down. Vicky’s brother Ben wants to go and chop it down.”

Good luck on doing that Ben \:D/

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:06 am

Wow, still have a hard time believing it till a proper paper deals with it but if they're confirming human error that will be reassuring that the ride did everything it should. Terrible for the folks involved, the folks who set the car off and the victims, but good that the safety features did what they needed to do until humans stepped in.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:34 am

Another interesting thing to take from this article, GaryH over at TowersStreet says it well.

He visited them to talk about their findings. Sounds like he is firstly telling them the cause of the accident, secondly telling them what has been done about it and thirdly prepping them for the news that the ride is back open soon. They probably asked why so soon after the accident and hes probably given the honest answer that they have to as they are losing so much money from it being shut.

Many are speculating it opening again before the season ends and hearing it straight from the horses mouth is the best way I suppose rather than hearing it inevitably through the media and news channels.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:55 am

That's what I took from it too, he's been as honest and forthright as he's been throughout. It can look a little tactless from the victim's angle and I'm sure that somewhere between all the emotion and the shonky reporting lies the truth, but as GaryH said it's likely they asked him the question.

The comments on fb make an
Interesting point, where are the voices of the other victims? The story states Nick Varney visited them all and unless the articles airing their disgust are still being written the main one to speak up so far has been Vicky Balch's Mum. She's said from the start that they want as much litigation as possible, understandably she hates what has happened to her daughter but she is definitely running on pure emotion and excluding reason.

Weirdly I'm more inclined to believe the statement at the end from Nick Varney about how he approached them as it seems more likely.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:08 am

xylyx wrote:
That's what I took from it too, he's been as honest and forthright as he's been throughout. It can look a little tactless from the victim's angle and I'm sure that somewhere between all the emotion and the shonky reporting lies the truth, but as GaryH said it's likely they asked him the question.

I doubt the way Nick Varney said it would have been tactless if I'm completely honest, he used to be in PR and we all saw that he was doing the right things after the incident. I was it compared to a controversy with Thompson that "Merlin had done all the things correctly Thompson had done wrong". It's probably better that the victims are told and we'd have a completely different version of events from Varney or a casual onlooker (even though there were probably no onlookers).

I know this is different but I'm confused. Big stories like the Ebola crisis didn't last as long as the Alton Towers story in the newspapers, I honestly can't understand their reason for dragging the story on and on. I know there has been some valid articles that did need to be done and I'm not some daft conspiracy theorist but there must be some kind of agenda or reason to try and worsen Alton Towers reputation. Does anyone else agree or is it just me?

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:34 am

The two papers that have picked up this article, so far at least, are the Mirror and the Daily Mail. Not exactly prestigious organs famed for their unbiased reporting. The Mail even opens with the needlessly polarizing statement: "Millionaire Nick Varney, CEO of 4 billion pound parent company Merlin" before getting to the actual relevant point:"visited Vicky at her home."

It's terrible journalism: painting up a villain with emotive language that has absolutely nothing to do with the story and is irrelevant.

I agree with you that Varney was likely to have broached it as sensitivity as possible, but I do get the impression that this her mum is spinning it her way.

That's a good point too , the shoreham air disaster was far worse but barely got any coverage in comparison. It is hard not to see an agenda when The Mirror consistently spin out these stories.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:29 am

It's how the rags work, isn't it. Find the marketable story and spin out a narrative to keep peoples attention. A young couple caught up in a terrible incident, one of them was even a dancer who will never dance again.

Would they have given it half as much coverage if it was a group of skinheads with their lives ruined? Doubt it, but they would be going through just as much pain and trauma. They take actual peoples lives and decide how they can best market them just to give readers that moment of snorting outrage over breakfast.

PS I hate newspapers ;)

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:41 am

Sawboss wrote:
one of them was even a dancer who will never dance again.

This is one of the things that is really getting my back up about how the way the whole thing has been reported in the media.

Vicky was NOT a dancer, she has even said so herself on Twitter.

Just another lie that has been spun by the media to attract negative attention towards the park.

iaintraynor
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am

Best thing for AT to do now is get the smiler running again ASAP and let the media have their fun. The media don't give a damn about any of the victims and are the only ones profiting from the accident.

Nobody set out that day to hurt anyone, it was human error and mistakes are made all the time may it be in the cockpit of a plane or the operating theatre in a hospital. You don't permanently close the operating theatre if someone makes a mistake. Change the way things are done to prevent it happening again and move on.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:34 am

If, you look, the sun who are usually known for dragging stories out and twisting them, haven't said anything. I think the mail and mirror are trying to ruin the reputation of Alton towers, thus ruining the chance of sun readers buying the sun for the free tickets, which is what a lot of the readers buy it for, the tickets by themselves take out a large percentage of reasons people buy the sun. Yesterday when I was there, three trains were running quite fast, when they were running slow a few daysago, and then one was running slowly through the batwing exit and the rollover. If the trains are the back half of the train with passengers on, and the front of the empty train, that would surely mean the investigation is over, they normally hold the things in H&S until a investigation is complete as far as I'm aware, and I don't think it's a new train as it can take quite long for them (the reason mine train was closed is because it took so long to get the trains. Does anyone know if they had an unused train to increase throughout if some trains had a problem (which they have) to be used as a back up, but now is they first time they've used it. It was definitely running on 4 trains as far as I'm aware, trains were running constantly. Still looks amazing off ride. Got a few videos.