UK theme parks from another point of view!

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:49 pm

It's not as if staff would blindly not see someone reaching a meter behind a bush when they're standing 2 ft away. Even if they're talking to guests it's not that hard to miss.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Even if staff saw they might not stop them in time. There are a lot of surprisingly stupid people out there who simply don't care if they get caught. I know the chances of it happening are low but with the amount of visitors they get, it's a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:30 pm

Depends what the button does, it's it definitely an estop?

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:44 pm

It could be anything from button that estops the ride, to a button that alerts the op to check the CCTV, at this point it's anybody's guess :) I would think that it will not be easily accessible to people who don't know what they are doing, either :)

Dannyski
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Would it not make sense for it to be a block reset? If the computer stops the ride due to a potential block violation, the operator would be forced to visually inspect the track area by having to go and press (or radio someone actually by the ride to press it) to override the e-stop.

Air15
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:35 pm

on that twitter video of the smiler testing the outside if the station looks like it needs a good clean

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:38 pm

The station's looked that way for a long time. You should see the trench for lift 2 right at the back. It's nasty with all the grime that's been running down the concrete wall.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Carrying on from what TS members suggested:

To try and maybe negate bad publicity for when it does re-open Nick Varney may even invite press to the resort maybe early morning or after park closing.

What I believe will be the case is press may be invited to be shown in person hands on what measures have been taken to ensure all checks have been made. I can see this or perhaps even Nick himself being recorded stating the improvements to guest safety and him riding The Smiler and uploaded to the website / youtube channel.

Either way they need to reassure the public with the measures being taken to ensure this cannot and will not happen again. I think there will be some visual media from either with the new safety installments etc.

With the bad band of weather moving in they may be waiting until a good day for a re-opening. Given the weather Thursday/Friday seems ideal, decent weather + low winds.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 pm

They might choose not to reopen it before the hurricane thing, as it would probably lead to a good few days of downtime which won't look good when all the media have targeted it and called it issues with the ride. Does anyone know when the hurricane is supposed to have passed?

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Although they don't know for sure they said the tail end could reach the UK by this weekend. They say it could move to the north or south of the UK. As the week progresses they'll be sure to know for certain what to expect. Wet & windy for sure if it does reach us. :)

Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 pm

I can see AT working with the press when it reopens. This gives them the opportunity to get some good press out there to mix in with the inevitable bad press, and to reduce the number of papers reporting bad press. It also gives them the opportunity to counteract the bad press by A) explaining everything to prevent some made up lies and B) to show that they aren't trying to hide anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:09 pm

Another tweet from the ex-councilman who had a contact at AT tweeted today.

Hi Ian, just spoke to my contact they say back on for during scare fest.

Not sure what to make of it, hes old enough to know better not to lie. But then says they are also trying to re-name it which is absurd, that alone makes me question if hes even got a contact. But nice to know others are thinking before Scarefest.

Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:17 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Another tweet from the ex-councilman who had a contact at AT tweeted today.

Hi Ian, just spoke to my contact they say back on for during scare fest.

Not sure what to make of it, hes old enough to know better not to lie. But says they are also trying to re-name it..

Varney himself has already confirmed the ride will not be rebranded, so I would take anything that man says with a truckload of salt.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:19 pm

What needs to happen, is he needs to make a video statement, unedited and send it to the press, so they can't twist it, or just not let them write anything at all.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:30 am

Sawboss wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:
I'd be very very very surprised if it wasn't open by Friday.

You've gotta make another video to epic music to celebrate when it does reopen, Andy :yes:

The new version is pretty sick if I say so myself, here it is http://oi58.tinypic.com/34gr9cl.jpg sitting ready for upload.

Got to wait till opening though [-X

The new one runs for 1 minute 21 seconds longer, has new music.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 am

Dan.N wrote:
Varney himself has already confirmed the ride will not be rebranded, so I would take anything that man says with a truckload of salt.

He's probably got a contact at the park, but the contact is nothing to do with the Smiler and is also just going on rumours like everyone else.

Rita Fan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 am

:-k Hmmmm. If you to rename it what other names are there? I think the safest bet would be the marmaliser or something along the lines of that.
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.

DrKelman
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:36 am

Rita Fan wrote:
:-k Hmmmm. If you to rename it what other names are there? I think the safest bet would be the marmaliser or something along the lines of that.

If they did choose to rename the ride which i'm not sure if they would then i would definitely go with The Marmaliser. it just Sounds so much more sinister and goes more with the back story. :D

gee
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:55 am

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ne ... rs-6580607
Things like this are not going to help with re-opening.
The weighted water test dummies are being called crash test dummies! They don't care about facts only if it makes a good headline

iaintraynor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:48 am

And once again they mention Miss Balch was a dancer in the article

Quote: "Talented dancer Vicky Balch, aged 20, had to have her right leg removed below the knee when a carriage slammed into an empty car at 50mph."

Quote Miss Balch on Twitter: Thank you for the tweets and support! Although I'm not a dancer but I will one day own the floor with a two-step! x

https://twitter.com/vickyj_b/status/611083649178562560