UK theme parks from another point of view!

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:06 am

The Sky Sailor wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
Would it be insensitive to wear my Smiler hoodie when I go next week?

Na, I've seen loads of people there wearing smiler clothes! :)

Really? I didn't think it would be appropriate but if others have, I am :) Thanks Sky Sailor

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:13 am

Well the cherry picker is gone at least from outside the shop.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

charlie.guscott
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:43 pm

Got some infoImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASturge21
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:44 pm

charlie.guscott wrote:
Got some infoImage

The wording makes it sound like they have not yet decided on whether to re-open the ride at all.

iaintraynor
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:24 pm

Will be next October before we get to go back. If it's going to open at all I sure hope it will be open by then.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:16 am

iaintraynor wrote:
Will be next October before we get to go back. If it's going to open at all I sure hope it will be open by then.

If it's not open by Oct next year then it won't ever be open to the public again. Theses HSE staff must be finding more problems all the time.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:31 am

So with testing seeming to be at a stand still now, now there are vast numbers on park lets move the discussion back over to the supports in the staffordshire knot being numbered. The image below, ignore the red line, but pretty much every support from the yellow arrow upwards of that photo has been marked.

Now discussions over at TS have suggested possible re-profiling of this section of track. They've clearly been marked for a reason, I also think this as well. If I was Merlin personally I would invest more in it, alter the track to speed it up so that no amount of general wind (15-30mph) would be of any concern for the future operation of the ride. Obviously on rare occasions we could be battered with 50-60mph winds but in that circumstance operation will probably be halted anyway.

Now you could argue that this isn't the issue at all, some people said with a full train it comfortably goes through that section but we have to think about the future of the ride now. Merlin I'm sure would want this to stay for as long as possible as lets face it, its a crowd pleaser. If people can queue for 2-3 hours and say it was worth it then its probably worth making sure it has a long future ahead of it.

And from the above picture you can clearly see from a birds eye view if they really wanted to there is room to drop the inversion lower, sure it won't look as symmetrical and lovely but it'd help speed it up through and out of the inversion.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:36 am

Aaah I see so you mean drop one side of the batwing so it doesn't have to climb so high to get back out of the inversion? Sounds plausible to me.

gee
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:11 am

Instead of modifying the track/supports would it not be easier/cheaper to add a few kicker wheels around the slowest points or the stall points to help push the train through. I remember the knightmare ride at camelot had a kicker wheel at the top of the first hill after the first drop and if that wasn't on the coaster would roll back in to the valley, there is a video on YouTube of that happening.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:24 am

I think that's the main thing HSE is worried about with the trains Stalling on the same section of track. Like they accept it was human error that it crashed and they added things so it won't happen again. I think the park would want this problem sorted and if they can't solve it then they may have to look at removing the batwing and putting a new design in it's place.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:14 pm

As plausible as the suggestion sounds, I doubt it's what's going to happen, as in order to reprofile the batwing, the entire elements either side of it would also require reprofiling as every curve is defined with the g forces leading in and out in mind. If the batwing's high points were to be lowered it would create two significant jolts in the curvature change leading in and out of the element. More trouble than it's worth. Though, I do agree there is room to lower the exit side, as some photos actually make it appear to be taller than the entrance side.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:13 pm

We know it won't be opening any time soon but this tweet on Twitter is interesting:

Do you intend on putting the marmaliser on for light? (If so the red dot gives it away and the no signal on queue TVs)

Sure it may be easier to spot during night time but all the time I've been on park I can't say I've seen any power was going to The Marmaliser or in queue TV screens.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:30 pm

The marmaliser screen was noticably on when I was there with the ATP team, the red dot in question was visible. On top of that, one of the light bulbs on the Flasher was actually constantly on. We told a member of staff we noticed it and the next day, no power going to either of them.

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:44 pm

A short video documenting the commendation ceremony for the crews involved in the rescue.

https://vimeo.com/142612313

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:21 pm

Just wanted to add it was testing today, one car empty and one with two dummies. Also the red light was on on the marmaliser again.

RIDECRAZY
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:23 pm

Could the red light on The Marmaliser be from where they've been testing the screens after the parks closed or before the parks opened and not switched it off properly, simply cutting the video from the screen?

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:24 am

Maybe they just left it on standby, the button to switch it off may be in an awkward place like on our old telly.

Can't wait to see that in action again, will be nice to have x sector throb with that imposing music and the vibrant screens :)

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:31 am

xylyx wrote:
Maybe they just left it on standby, the button to switch it off may be in an awkward place like on our old telly.

Hope it makes that kachunk sound and fizzes like an old telly when they switch it on as well :lol Tv's are boring these days!

X Sector felt odd with no music playing in it.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:45 am

That would be amazing :D if it doesn't do that then it needs to be sorted to do it every time.

jjoverrun
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:41 am

Weird question but does anyone know wether the smiler music is on Spotify?

Credit to nemesis rider for this awesome pic :D