UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:16 pm

6 months ago today if we are going by the 2nd of every month that is :) Leah is proud of herself for the recovery she has made.

I cannot believe that the accident was 6 month ago today! Im so proud how far me and joe have come in such a short space of time.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
RIDECRAZY
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 61
Joined: February 2012

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
6 months ago today if we are going by the 2nd of every month that is :) Leah is proud of herself for the recovery she has made.

I cannot believe that the accident was 6 month ago today! Im so proud how far me and joe have come in such a short space of time.


I work in Meadowhall shopping centre near Barnsley where Joe and Leah are from and served them yesterday evening at the till whilst they were shopping! I have to say it was odd to see someone that you hear so much about in the media (not like seeing a celebrity because I don't view them in that way, but as though its a friend of a friend you've only seen in Facebook photos!) I was happy to see them living what seemed to be a happy and largely proactive life, they seemed to be doing well which shows their strength after the accident! Both very kind people too! :-)
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 pm

They do sound like decent folk, it's wry it's nice to hear they're getting on with everything :)
 
User avatar
Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1159
Joined: March 2015
Location: Rotherham

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:00 pm

RIDECRAZY wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:
6 months ago today if we are going by the 2nd of every month that is :) Leah is proud of herself for the recovery she has made.

I cannot believe that the accident was 6 month ago today! Im so proud how far me and joe have come in such a short space of time.


I work in Meadowhall shopping centre near Barnsley where Joe and Leah are from and served them yesterday evening at the till whilst they were shopping! I have to say it was odd to see someone that you hear so much about in the media (not like seeing a celebrity because I don't view them in that way, but as though its a friend of a friend you've only seen in Facebook photos!) I was happy to see them living what seemed to be a happy and largely proactive life, they seemed to be doing well which shows their strength after the accident! Both very kind people too! :-)


I live near Meadowhall, would not to work there near xmas!

Anyway back on topic: it's great they are just going about doing things they would have probably done even if they weren't involved in the accident.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2219!
Ride count 2020: 446!
Cred count: 117!

Image
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:21 am

smileradvocate1 wrote:
I live near Meadowhall, would not to work there near xmas!


It's our nearest big shopping centre (though we tend to visit Sheffield for Centretainment more than anything else) and refer to it as meadowhell at this time of year :P

Back on topic, d'ya think they'll smarten the ride up ready for reopening? It was a bit of a state from being stood doing very little.
 
User avatar
Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1159
Joined: March 2015
Location: Rotherham

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:05 am

xylyx wrote:
smileradvocate1 wrote:
I live near Meadowhall, would not to work there near xmas!


It's our nearest big shopping centre (though we tend to visit Sheffield for Centretainment more than anything else) and refer to it as meadowhell at this time of year :P

Back on topic, d'ya think they'll smarten the ride up ready for reopening? It was a bit of a state from being stood doing very little.


My family call it Meadowhell too :lol and I only go to centretainment for cineworld :P

Anyway, it would be nice to see it get a freshen up. I'm not expecting re-paint or anything like that. BUT it would be nice to see cleaning all around the queue and just little things like that.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2219!
Ride count 2020: 446!
Cred count: 117!

Image
 
Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 715
Joined: November 2012
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 am

Extensive cleaning of the public areas (and the non public for that matter, i.e. Amphitheatre area) took place prior to Scarefest this year in what I assume was preparation for them hoping to get it back open in time. But because that didn't happen, I imagine The Smiler's just going to get an average off season with plenty of testing.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: October 2009
Location: Midlands
Contact:

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:11 pm

I hope they now sort out the drainage problems in the queue line.
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Lol that alone would make the whole experience much battery
 
Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 587
Joined: June 2015
Location: Devon

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:44 pm

xylyx wrote:
Lol that alone would make the whole experience much battery

Did you perhaps mean.... buttery?
https://youtu.be/IfeyUGZt8nk
 
User avatar
Rita Fan
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 185
Joined: September 2015
Location: Erm, Mars, by the looks of things...

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Wobble wobble base......lol

Anyhow, back in topic, I never found drainage problems in the queue
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
 
User avatar
Kraken
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 156
Joined: December 2004
Location: Staffordshire

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Oh come on - there have always been drainage problems in The Smilers' queue line. If there has been anything approaching moderate rain in the last 24hrs, you're going to be walking through a queue line filled with puddles.

Look at the topography of The Smiler site - it's built down a sloping hill, with the queue line at a similar / lower height to the floor of the former Black Hole tent. Water only flows one way & it isn't upwards.
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Sawboss wrote:
xylyx wrote:
Lol that alone would make the whole experience much battery

Did you perhaps mean.... buttery?
https://youtu.be/IfeyUGZt8nk


Lol I wish I had meant that now.

The drainage in the smiler queue is appalling, especially when it's at capacity being stood in a pool of water food even five minutes it's hell.
 
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 459
Joined: October 2014
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Ah but the standing in a two hour queue staring down at soggy crisps and old plasters, surrounded by brown gloop water is all part of the Smiler experience, right?
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:52 am

It's a kind of experience I guess, lol. World's first 14 inversion coaster and paddling pool :P
 
User avatar
Rita Fan
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 185
Joined: September 2015
Location: Erm, Mars, by the looks of things...

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:57 am

Kraken wrote:
Oh come on - there have always been drainage problems in The Smilers' queue line.



Calm Down! No need to make a mountain of a mole hill over it!
It was in the fast track queue. Whilst it was spitting. Should have made that clear!
Erm, change of plan, I prefer The Smiler. Rita's rubbish. Should have thought of that...

Scarefest 2016 hype is all gone... all because of Stan.H.
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:01 am

Think we're drifting slightly OT. If you wish to discuss the drainage situation (which is abysmal) then the general discussion of The Smiler could be used for that here.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
iaintraynor
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 11
Joined: September 2015

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:47 pm

I see the Mirror and Miss Balch is at it again

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life- ... ky-7002383

"As the 20-year-old was strapped into her plane seat, she froze, as it brought back terrible memories of the day she suffered her devastating injuries"

It's getting really really boring now.
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:05 am

Long read, its nice to see she is a determined individual and has goals for next year.

Howver she straps herself into her seat for take-off and breaks down, how has she coped in a car to all these interviews shes been doing?

She said: “They told me I’d never wear heels again. I remember after the amputation catching sight of a pair of shoes I loved and breaking down and crying.

“It broke my heart to think I’d never put them on again.


Really?! Her first thoughts after the amputation were that she won't be able to wear Christian Louboutin heels she set her heart on and that nobody would want her intimately again. Where are kids priorities nowadays?

I hate to go on but it irritates me how the youth of today think. And its not just her the students of that age I come across I wonder how they function independently, they can barely pick what they want for lunch without a debate with friends.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
Jamster42
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 53
Joined: March 2014
Location: Berkshire

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:12 am

As nice as it is to see she's coping with life I'm starting to feel she's popping up a bit too much now. She was in a terrible accident but we don't hear about this from other people in similar accidents.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 164 guests