UK theme parks from another point of view!

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:12 am

Yeah it is a shame that people can act so nastily with a bit of anonymity, having to deal with idiots like that shouldn't be a part of anyone's life.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:18 am

Obviously were all excited to get back on the ride but over the period since I've seen twitter accounts post about their excitement about re-riding it when its open but purposefully tagging Leah, Joe & Vicky in it.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Precisely, that's rotten behaviour. I'm not surprised about them not wanting people to ride, it represents one of the worst moments in their lives so of course they will be against it. Some people just either don't think before posting or like seeing folk suffer, either way it's horrible.

Not harassing the victims would be genuinely respectful.

Madness.

adam1942
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:12 pm

https://twitter.com/HeartWMidsNews/stat ... 96/photo/1

190 jobs to go at @altontowers as part of a 'restructure' ahead of the new season in March after a "difficult year"

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm not sure how to think about it, but it does slightly concern me that Leah is still talking to the media so much. This story has run in the media for an absurd amount of time now. Was there any need for her to go to the media and get them to make a story out of this?

I'm not saying this is about "cashing in", because at the end of the day, she's more than likely going to end up with more cash than she'll know what to do with, and it won't fix her life. However if she truly hopes to ever move on with her life and find peace, constantly talking about it and and reliving it in the media surely can't help her move on. I fear that there is probably someone pushing her to do all this and probably gaining from it, without really thinking of what's best for her.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:56 pm

The only one with sense is the guy who hasn't risen to any media involvement. He has my respect (so far), everyone knows what happened and they'll be a day we may even find out why it happened. There is no need to keep bringing it up all the time as you said.

Joe has this as his twitter profile description:

Yeah i'm that lad from Alton Towers accident. Contact Amanda Stocks for all publicity inquiries: [email protected]

Its bad what happened to them on the whole but I hold very little sympathy for them anymore although admirable what they are doing for the rescuers in the charity ball event.

And its tragic about the redundancies.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:08 pm

I'll always have sympathy for them for having to go through such an ordeal, but... that doesn't mean I care about anything more they have to say.

It's a side effect of social media, I bet his twitter account is bombarded constantly by messages about the crash, that would effect anyone's judgement. Well, except me cos I'd delete it.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:09 pm

What's really caused those redundancies? The accident or the bad press? I'm betting the latter.

With the victims I'm always a little conscious that I'm being heartless but at this stage I'm more worried about Alton Towers and the 190 people who are going to be affected by the job losses than the people involved in the crash. Whilst I cannot imagine how much the victims lives have changed (sadly for the worse) I think if they were able to wake up and not see their face on the web or the news they'd feel much more like life was returning to somewhat normal. Of course I know it will be the PR managers who want them in the news, not necessarily themselves, but would it hurt for them not to have to take every interview offered? While I do commend them for what they've done at the Charity Ball, etc. I would've guessed they'd much rather move on.

Sadly, I think it's coming down to this. What matters more: the victims trying to move on or the PR managers getting paid and the General Public getting their moment of outrage over breakfast?

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
What's really caused those redundancies? The accident or the bad press? I'm betting the latter.

With the victims I'm always a little conscious that I'm being heartless but at this stage I'm more worried about Alton Towers and the 190 people who are going to be affected by the job losses than the people involved in the crash. Whilst I cannot imagine how much the victims lives have changed (sadly for the worse) I think if they were able to wake up and not see their face on the web or the news they'd feel much more like life was returning to somewhat normal.

Of course I know it will be the PR managers who want them in the news, not necessarily themselves, but would it hurt for them not to have to take every interview offered?

I suspect that none of them have "taken every interview offered" in fact they have in reality more like taken 1% of the requests knowing the media, they have done the bare minimum to keep people of their backs in reality.. sad but true

I would like to know what else do we have in store I guess that 190 less fte (full time employees) may only be the start.
As a forward business plan will they could they...
put the cost of MAP up again next year ? parking charge up ? general entry prices up ? or lower them and put the cost of food and drink up in the park / reduce the quality off food and drink ?
shorter opening hours ? no ERT?

this could change lots of things and not for the good :(

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:34 pm

I can see ERT being scrapped for sure until things settle as well as staggered ride openings as seen at the start of 2015 season. Can definitely see annual passes seeing another price increase as they are all good value for money providing you take it upon yourself to make several trips.

Smiffy107
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:57 am

190 being let go, is a bit ridiculous and OTT on the part of alton towers, like surely the acident was caused by one person maybe two not 190 people, thats an awful lot of staff to be getting rid of especially for a place like alton towers where they aren't a huge worldwide company on the stock market, shame really cos I would give anything just to work there :) I'm sure theres more information as to why this many people are being let go, we will just have to wait and find out what the true reason is
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'

CorkyForever
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Smiffy107 wrote:
190 being let go, is a bit ridiculous and OTT on the part of alton towers, like surely the acident was caused by one person maybe two not 190 people, thats an awful lot of staff to be getting rid of especially for a place like alton towers where they aren't a huge worldwide company on the stock market, shame really cos I would give anything just to work there :) I'm sure theres more information as to why this many people are being let go, we will just have to wait and find out what the true reason is

I assume you've made a typo about the stock market bit.

It is a lot, it's still like 7% if you include the seasonals which it may or may not do (some might be salaried or they just might not hire as many next season).

I would have thought that they could balance it out across the company (or even just take the hit without sacking anyone) but I suppose they wanted to keep AT matters within AT as other attractions shouldn't have to suffer as a result of the accident.
Most Recent Visit

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:32 pm

That is what I figure: that budget for each park is its own separate entity that cannot be cross pollinated, much the way government handles interdepartmental budgeting.

The 190 could include the seasonal folks, it could have been misconstrued when announced ie they published the round figure and the breakdown of what that means was either ignored or missed off. The light attendance will definitely have an impact though. Hopefully with the reopening of the smiler and the air refresh etc the crowds will pick up next season. Scarefest was light but with rave reviews, no serious complications and steadily improving attendance the public may be moving on :)

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Just a thought:

Is the smiler accident not just a cover up to get rid of staff and have a clear out? It's easier to blame a bad year etc, but it wouldn't be the first time. Project Freedom has been known before (shake up of staff and management) normally over a period of every 4-6 years.
They may just for example make loads redundant then re employ for them roles with a different title. Like whatever it was before being renamed resort assistant. It has happened before and I have read today it's around 7% of staff they are getting rid of. Just seems a bit strange to lay off after one bad year. A lot of the permanent staff help over winter with various different jobs from maintainence to painting buildings/fences etc so will this now be neglected? When surely they will want to ensure the public of better safety etc. Something just doesn't add up quite may be just me though.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Yes the Smiler incident is getting the blame for a bad year, but cuts on the park were being made prior to the incident.

However I would not like to think that the incident was deliberate.

Personally I think that if the park didn't have the cuts in the first place and kept the park in top notch condition, then the incident would have not had such an impact on guess numbers.

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Not saying the accident was deliberate at all. Not for a second would that ever cross my mind. But they are seeming to use it as the reason when they have this every 4-6 years

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:00 pm

I think it's a natural reaction to the expected lower visitor numbers next year! Less visitors less staff, less maintenance etc, which I agree is a shame, ideally the spare would be put into making the park better, to bring people back, but realistically only new rides bring people in, I'm not sure Park maintenance is noticed too much by the general public.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:08 pm

Can I say something. My cousin was in the Army and served his country aboard and now his a lorry driver and to this day his not said a word about what he did or saw while on duty.
Now onto the Smiler the victims could be having sleepless nights,suffering depression and there lives changed forever.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:21 pm

Found this article relating to the 190 jobs going, similar to my workplace it seems they'll be expecting a chunk of the losses to come through 'natural wastage'

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3310677/Alton-Towers-owner-Merlin-cut-190-jobs-following-horrific-Smiler-rollercoaster-smash-left-five-people-seriously-injured.html

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:42 am

It would be quite good to hear how the 4th man from the front of the train is. Just to hear he's doing alright. I'm not sure whether hearing absolutely no details is a good thing or not, if he's just decided not to play ball with the media at all, or it's affected him so badly he can't bare to. Just hope he's doing alright.