UK theme parks from another point of view!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:14 pm

A bit more expansion on today with the talk Leah and Joe gave with year 5 & 6 pupils, on this page you can hear a brief audio clip for a couple of minutes. http://bit.ly/1HZh0ub

This is why I hate our media and social media and the way its been reported so relentlessly, this is a rare occurrence and yet has impacted children's thought process about stepping on them ever again:

Child 1 wrote:
I thought it were like kinda scary, I don't think I'd want to go on a rollercoaster again.

Child 2 wrote:
As soon as I heard about that I just didn't feel like going on them anymore.

Child 3 wrote:
I was thinking about going on one like next year when we went on holiday but now I've heard that I don't think I will.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:49 pm

I agree that the side effect of kids saying they don't want to go on rollercoasters is unfortunate but that was only three voices out of the group. It could be they all think that way but I would be surprised if that opinion sticks, give it enough time and they'll give them a go them with the rest of their peers.

The shock of being confronted with such visceral detail always causes overcaution, but people get past it with a little time and perspective.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:33 am

xylyx wrote:
The shock of being confronted with such visceral detail always causes overcaution, but people get past it with a little time and perspective.

Very true, even among enthusiasts. Look back through the Smiler in 20 years topic just after the accident then the recent posts in this one. Time heals all, well... most wounds.

Unless the exact opposite happens and something becomes a life long phobia not overcome without great effort.. People are strange and unpredictable. Except when they're really predictable with regards to news stories and stuff... I'm disembarking this train of thought before my brain burns out!

bengutt
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:42 am

Andy Mc wrote:
So Leah & Joe are doing an anti-bullying talk to school children because of them being trolled online in which case you can simply make your Twitter profile private.

Just about every person who is a public figure gets this sort of thing. It's part and parcel of being open and public. If you don't like it, stop milking it for all it's worth, and you'll be forgotten and the trolls will move on to the next public figure.

I'm being a bit blunt here, but they've moved on from being victims. They are now media stars, who's only selling point is they have had something bad happen to them. If they loose the momentum of the accident, then they have nothing to offer. Their fame will then evaporate, and the only mention of them will be in the Alton Towers Wikipedia page.

ThomasMatt
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 am

I believe not just as an enthusiast that we should ride The Smiler with pride, be happy that this wonderful ride is still here. We just have to look at the past and what has happened with other rides, this is just a minor injury considering of what could have happened. I loved The Smiler, and still do!

JCP
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:32 pm

ThomasMatt wrote:
..... this is just a minor injury considering of what could have happened. I loved The Smiler, and still do!

I'm shocked that you would consider several life changing injuries, two amputations and 3 CPR attempts on an individual a minor injury. Opinions on The Smiler aside, that's a considerably bizarre viewpoint to hold.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:15 pm

JCP wrote:
ThomasMatt wrote:
..... this is just a minor injury considering of what could have happened. I loved The Smiler, and still do!

I'm shocked that you would consider several life changing injuries, two amputations and 3 CPR attempts on an individual a minor injury. Opinions on The Smiler aside, that's a considerably bizarre viewpoint to hold.

I understand what ThomasMatt is saying and what you are saying. Thomas is making the point that yes it is awful that the people involved have to live with life changing injuries, but in comparison to what could have happened they are very lucky. :)

JCP
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:47 pm

They are grave injuries, some of which almost killed them. I'm not attempting to bash the ride, but it's a fallacy to think that they are minor injuries. If they were minor then I doubt 190 staff would be losing their jobs nor would Merlin be suffering as much as it is both on the FTSE and in a PR capacity.

Enthusiasts have a habit of being a little blinkered and having tunnel vision and that is a prime example.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Nobody is trying to make the accident seem like nothing, and nobody is saying anything because of their opinion on the ride. The injuries that the accident caused are of course horrible and beyond comprehension of what anybody could imagine. What is being said is that the circumstances could have been even worse than this and they are lucky that the worst-case didn't happen :)

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:19 pm

I just take the view that it was a terrible accident, the injuries were horrible, and I wish the victims all the best, but people sustain worse injuries literally every single day. At least the victims can walk and have not sustained brain injuries. There are things worse than physical injury.
This is a high profile case though, that means it's practically impossible to take that view without seeming to be cold or callous, which I don't intend to be.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Many have speculated how much worse things could have been JCP. If The Smiler employed a lap bar system there could easily have been deaths. If the Fire service hadn't been as quick the injuries could have been more serious. If the tiniest thing happened differently, it could have got much worse. The point Jack is making is that things could have got significantly worse and thankfully the individuals are alive, if things had played out differently we can't even think of what could have happened.

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14 pm

When the news first hit, I definitely decided I was going to base the severity of the event on whether the girls did end up losing their legs or not. I think that's what bumped the whole incident up a notch for me. And it would have been interesting to see if this whole thing would have had the same impact if they didn't.

I understand that it was still a catastrophic disaster, but would the general public really have seen a few broken bones as badly? The general vibe I get, is that people aren't afraid of the rides crashing. They're scared they're just going to randomly lose a leg because that's now what Alton Tower's is known for. It's almost like an irrational stigma. That would also explain why the effects on Thorpe and Chessy have been minimal at best.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:30 pm

Most of the comments relating to the losing of a leg are from the incredibly disrespectful 'edgy' comedians you get on social media. Not worth listening to their nonsense, but they do keep reminding people about the accident instead of letting it die.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:43 am

I have a different word for the idiots on Twitter.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:40 am

To be honest the stigma will never fully die down, solely because people believe you need a warning every time you go to Alton Towers. Nearly 6 months on, whenever somebody notices a piece of merch i have or im talking about the Towers, the question isnt whether i like it a lot or even what my best ride is, they ask 10 times out of 10 "have you been on the Smiler???". That isnt going to go in the rides lifetime :(
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Sorry if this has already been said but it seems that the prohibition notice has been lifted according to the HSE notice search. Link:http://www.hse.gov.uk/notices/notices/notice_list.asp?ST=N&CO=,AND&SN=S&EO=%3D&SF=IS&SV=2

I don't know if I've missed it though so don't take my word for it!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2133!
Ride count 2020: 360!
Cred count: 117!

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:14 pm

So does that mean that they worked out what happened? Ive also not been around much :lol sorry if this is all old hat to you guys!
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:16 pm

Just searched for Merlin and found it:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/notices/notices/N ... =306419423

Whether that means it's still in place or not, I have no idea how the website works so I couldn't say.

Edit: Oh also for the cause of the ride I believe it was human error, ride detected the stalled car and stopped, a technician overrode the stop without checking the ride was safe to go first.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:50 pm

It seems that you can only search for the notice and you can't find it just by looking down the full list. I went to the page where there are prohibition notices from 2/3/4 June and it wasn't there.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2133!
Ride count 2020: 360!
Cred count: 117!

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:23 pm

I don't believe the HSE website is updated when a notice is removed, so the only way we will know for sure that the notice has been lifted is when the ride re-opens.

That being said, I am fairly confident the notice has already been lifted and has been for some time.