UK theme parks from another point of view!

tgm999
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:20 pm

homer22422 wrote:

That looks like she may well of had a prior medical condition but at the age of 10 that's very young.

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Dan.N wrote:
Another of the victims of The Smiler crash, Vicky Balch, has spoken to the media for the first time since the incident.

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33155853?o ... ow_twitter

I did suspect that the second girl may be in danger of losing her leg given that their had been no word at all

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:41 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:
Im not sure how wearing Smiler Merch is disrespectful, its not like you visiting them in hospital wearing it. I understand that what has happened is horrible but I think it gets taken way too far. I still wear my Smiler Hoodie, and although I can see it happening, I dont think the Smiler should be rethemed. At the end of the day, it had its theme for two years before that accident and its quite clear that its not meant to be related to the accident. I think by going to the extreme of remove all references, then it will get the media's attention more, unless they are retheming the ride.

When an Audi crashes on the road, you don't see every other Audi not being driven out of respect. The only thing Alton Towers should do out of respect is close the ride (which they have) and stop the Smiler marketing (which they have) to prevent it being in everyone's faces directly after the accident. However if you visit the resort then you should expect to see Smiler references seen as thats where the ride is located.

Their are many reasons why IF the ride is allowed to re-open it will need to be re- themed

ive seen mention off the smile (that is based on the bat wings)
the sound track ... ha ha ha ha
the medical aspect of the ride

but no one has picked up that because Merlin have misused the word Marmalize with in the ride that is the worst part of the theme

the meaning of the word Marmalize or to Marmalize means to beat someone up badly if I said I was going to Marmalize someone it would mean im going to coarse them serious physical harm !

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/marmalize?q=marmalise

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:59 pm

where im from it means to mess with someone's head
Last edited by SPAD on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Both meanings are applied when it says "the smiler will marmalise your body and mind" plus the main theming element is called the marmaliser and that is why I see a possible retheme.

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 pm

the GP probably dont even realise that its even got a name tbh!

Tryst
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:23 pm

homer22422 wrote:
Also in the news:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... wo-5892831

P.S - I BLOODY HATE THE VOTE SYSTEM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE. They have no right in putting something like that onto a NEWS website when the investigations have not been fully completed

I can see what the Mirror are trying to do; they're trying to manufacture a news story by inviting the public to vote on the future of the ride. In a few days time they'll have an article about how The Public Have Spoken and that Merlin are out of touch for not nuking the Smiler from orbit, etc.

As a shareholder, I'm a little bit miffed about the vote thing. If anyone has a right to decide the future of the Smiler its Merlin's board, its members, its shareholders and its customers.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Not to mention the screams of agony heard in the soundtrack, I personally don't see them having a choice. Leaving everything the way it is isn't going to sit well with the GP or media, the re-theming although still will get bad publicity imo is the road to damage limitation overall.

However we've got a long wait before anything happens, will be nice to walk into x-sector and not hear that awful soundtrack for a while.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:36 pm

Well shockingly, when I looked, the vote was 72% to 28% in favour for closing down the Smiler - The Mirror really do deserve an award for being able to brainwash so many people with exaggerated articles.

tgm999
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:37 pm

Tryst wrote:
homer22422 wrote:
Also in the news:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... wo-5892831

P.S - I BLOODY HATE THE VOTE SYSTEM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE. They have no right in putting something like that onto a NEWS website when the investigations have not been fully completed

I can see what the Mirror are trying to do; they're trying to manufacture a news story by inviting the public to vote on the future of the ride. In a few days time they'll have an article about how The Public Have Spoken and that Merlin are out of touch for not nuking the Smiler from orbit, etc.

As a shareholder, I'm a little bit miffed about the vote thing. If anyone has a right to decide the future of the Smiler its Merlin's board, its members, its shareholders and its customers.

I bet most people who have voted are too terrified to ride something like RMT never mind the smiler so just want to ruin the fun for everyone else.

mark_h
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:39 pm

The Mirror asked the wrong question, they asked "Should The Smiler be closed down?". At this point in time The Smiler is closed down under a HSE prohibition notice.

The question they should be asking is "Should The Smiler reopen after it has been fixed?"

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:42 pm

At this stage I really don't think it's going to make a difference whether they reopen it. I should suspect they're going through the pretense that it *could* shut, to keep the haters at bay. The majority of people who are condemning the ride have probably never visited a theme park in their life.

Merlin have a lot of investors to keep happy still, and unless there is a really good reason, other than a bit of negative PR that'll blow over in a year, its going to piss a lot of shareholders off if they dismantle their latest investment before its even reached a return. Especially when the ride is perfectly safe, and still relatively brand new.

The only other thing I suppose to look out for, is whether or not the Court have anything to say about it. Even when HSE have had their say, there's still some chance the courts may condemn the ride. I suppose its difficult because we have nothing to compare it to in the UK justice system, Hydro was a completely different ball game, because to a layman "A faulty restraint" as most people saw it, is far more easy to accept logically than a car stalling and going unnoticed, a blocking system failing for whatever reason, and 2 cars colliding, which frankly is an extraordinary series of events.

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:11 am

:O That news about Revolution is horrible!
But let's face it- Mirror are persuading people coasters aren't safe. STOP!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 am

People seem to feel like they need to have a strong opinion on absolutely everything. It's like if there was a ski route in the alps that a group of people got badly injured on and I, who've never been skiing and have no real interest in it, decided to set up a petition to call for it to be closed because it's not safe.

If the HSE decide The Smiler's unsafe to continue operation then close it down and if they decide not then reopen it with the new safety protocols. I don't see the sense in people complaining about it.

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:57 am

I feel that the media are ridiculing Towers so much, next time there is a small car crash (that would go unnoticed) will be compared to The Smiler ](*,

definedancing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:58 am

That Mirror article annoyed me more because it thinks that Sonic Spinball is in X-Sector. Call me pedantic if you want!

Honestly though, I'm not sure what to think about this. There isn't a correct answer in this case; leave it as it is and the media are going to be in uproar, retheme it and it'll feel like Towers are hiding a dirty secret, or close it all together and annoy a lot of customers and shareholders. It'll be very interesting to see what they do; personally I'm thinking Black Hole.0.2., big tent and all :yes:

oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 am

Did anybody see the awful cgi reconstruction of how the two cars crashed on last nights BBC News? It was a very basic animation of the two cars crashing, and appeared to occur on the brow of a hill! It looked terrible and for the BBC, I thought it was very poor of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... n-16062015

The whole report starts at 13:20, but the animation is at 15:35.

dmmosh1
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:23 pm

has the park been busy since its reopened or has the accident and bad publicity put people off visiting ?

SubtleGinge
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:29 pm

I visited yesterday and honestly, the park was dead, the longest we had to queue was 15 minutes, but that is because they were adding an extra train to Nemesis. But it was a brilliant day! Staff were all so friendly, especially in X-Sector, and the staff at the entrance to The Smiler were very friendly too. The atmosphere was brilliant, it's been one of my favourite trips to the Towers.

Air15
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:12 pm

If the smiler is to get a Re theme I really hope they theme it up with the original concept art and the theme suits it well cause it could look as if towers shut it down.
http://youtu.be/yA2Y_aw0ojw