UK theme parks from another point of view!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Planning Application for Enhancements to Air

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:39 pm

Mack is a coaster manufacturer and VR Coaster is the company bringing the tech.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

ASturge21
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Airs manufactered by B&M so where does mack fit into the improvement works?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Mack I believe jumped on board with the company of VR Coaster, their CEO is a partner with them so will be in the know of what operators they are dealing with.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:46 am

Alton Towers just uploaded said promotional piece they sent to the media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaJN4uPoVc

Download 1080p MP4 file here.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:32 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Alton Towers just uploaded said promotional piece they sent to the media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSaJN4uPoVc

I think we have come to a logical conclusion that Air will be using VR next year.The teaser including the strained face is just giving me the feel that a launch could be involved, although I realise this is very unlikely due to the huge amount of track re-profiling needed. The only other way I can see the ride simulating a launch is a combination of VR and a large wind machine in the air tunnel? These ideas are all purely speculation and probably completely wrong, however I get the feeling that Air is having more than just a few pairs of VR goggles slapped on it over this closed season. I look forward to seeing the end result.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:

I think we have come to a logical conclusion that Air will be using VR next year.The teaser including the strained face is just giving me the feel that a launch could be involved, although I realise this is very unlikely due to the huge amount of track re-profiling needed. The only other way I can see the ride simulating a launch is a combination of VR and a large wind machine in the air tunnel? These ideas are all purely speculation and probably completely wrong, however I get the feeling that Air is having more than just a few pairs of VR goggles slapped on it over this closed season. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Just curious but why would there need to be large amounts of reprofiling if the launch was on the lift hill and slowed towards a nomal (ish) speed at the top of the lift?
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Themepark247360 wrote:
Altontowersbarlow wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:

Just curious but why would there need to be large amounts of reprofiling if the launch was on the lift hill and slowed towards a normal (ish) speed at the top of the lift?

I could be completely wrong but to my knowledge certain parts of track are only able to take certain amounts of weight and speed because as the speed or weight of the trains increases so does the overall stress on the supports and track. This means that the track may have to be strengthened or supported differently to withstand the stress of a launch.The trains themselves would also have to be re-designed to adapt to the increased speed, especially with Air being such a slow coaster. On another note, the launch mechanism itself would have to contain roll-back systems and safety features to ensure the safety of guests, and I am pretty sure that the design of Air's station could not accommodate such a system. I'm not saying that a launch is not possible but it seems to me that Air's original design means that it is very unlikely that a launch could be effectively and safely implemented on to the ride. Although I would be excited to see a launch.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Think your reading too much into the guy screaming if I'm honest, although it'd be nice I don't think the video hints at anything of the kind :)

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Think your reading too much into the guy screaming if I'm honest, although it'd be nice I don't think the video hints at anything of the kind :)

I agree that the teaser is probably hinting at nothing other than a new experience, however I just used it as a medium to talk about a possible launch.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:14 pm

It'd just be easier to simulate coming out of a spacecraft where your docked and then after the lift hill in the virtual world your ship/jetpack (or w/e) uses its thrusters and then that's when the main sequence and fast paced segment of the experience takes place. Much cheaper option.

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:03 am

The only thing that teaser gives away is the space theme. To me the man screaming and the 'in space nobody hears you scream' just relates to the fact that people scream on coasters. New experience we can almost be certain is meaning VR now. Launch as well? I highly doubt it.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:54 pm

Did the source that claimed there was track in the car park ever back it up with a better picture, the one posted just looked like a car park with indistinct stuff in the distance lol.

The vid is definitely just playing off the Alien tagline. When taken in one sentence without a gap it sounded a bit naff: "in space no one can hear you scream because there is no air" just sounded muddled. However the breaks they put in the vid made it far more palatable really looking forward to seeing what this is like :)

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:49 pm

xylyx wrote:
Did the source that claimed there was track in the car park ever back it up with a better picture, the one posted just looked like a car park with indistinct stuff in the distance lol.

No they didn't. Theme Park Worldwide posted a pic early November. See here, judging by the distance it was just this that was seen.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:19 am

Rob over at TS had this to say, my first assumption is he means MackMedia won't be doing the VR world. Worst case scenario they haven't gone with VR Coaster for the system implementation and tried it themselves.

I can also confirm that Air's VR will not be done by Mack/VR Coaster (we were told this at EP).

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 am

Andy Mc wrote:
Rob over at TS had this to say, my first assumption is he means MackMedia won't be doing the VR world. Worst case scenario they haven't gone with VR Coaster for the system implementation and tried it themselves.

I can also confirm that Air's VR will not be done by Mack/VR Coaster (we were told this at EP).

If they do it themselves I might cry :(
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:35 am

You and everyone else, we all know how that would turn out should it be the case.

MakoMania wrote:
If they do it themselves I might cry :(

I don't know an awful lot about the Sir Algenon Alton character but considering he featured heavily in the 2015 fireworks show (would also explain the t-minus audio) and has Moon Voyage rooms at the hotel do we feel this character could perhaps be part of the story of Galactica?!

I personally feel Air/Galactica will always be a tame roller coaster both in ride & theme so although I'd love to blow up menacing aliens in space it'll be a light tone in the VR world for the whole family to enjoy.

They could also pass off the roller coaster restaurant as another of his crazy inventions, also with this rides re-opening it would be the two decade mark for the introduction of the Sir Algenon Alton character as the hotel was opened & "themed to the eccentric fictional character Sir Algenon Alton and his travels & inventions." back in 1996.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:50 pm

With regards to what TS would have been told, a more reliable source (someone working for MACK in the NoLimits community) has implied that this will be true only because MACK themselves are not responsible for the VR upgrades. VR Coaster do the upgrades themselves, it's just by chance they've been working with MACK for the prototype installations on Alpenexpress and (not MACK but this happened) also Freedom Flyer at Fun Spot Orlando, trialled during the 2015 IAAPA Expo.

What MACK will definitely be doing for Towers is the food loop tracks for the Rollercoaster Restaurant. This was done by MACK in house for Europa Park and this marks the first instance of them selling the product to other parks.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Sir Algenon just would not suit the area, unless they were planning on completely cutting Air/Galactica out of Forbidden Valley and opening up a new area just for Air, which is unlikely. To be honest, nothing about this makes any sense what so ever. The improvements to me just sound like its going to be a gimmick for the sake of a gimmick.

Plus, if they are adding to the themeing around Air,(Can't actually remember if they are or not), surely they would want people to actually see it when they are on the ride itself. Yes its all well and good adding themeing to something to make it look more appealing when you are on the ground, but it seems pretty pointless if they are just going to do VR.

So i'm still not convinced that VR is making its way to Air.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Well in regard to the theming, the only addition of substantial size outside of the station is a piece of theming encircling the track where the viewing area on the lift hill is.

A few months ago I'd have thought the same but Alton Towers have stated its a ground-breaking experience, plan to announce it at the London Science Museum which currently has a space exhibit on show, its themed around space, Shawn Sanbrooke hinted at it in his vlog a while ago, Galactica has been trademarked & it has an off ride photo point.

That to me is more than enough information to put an end to the uncertainty about VR. I'm sure they wouldn't of taken the time out to announce it at such a prestige location if it was a mere re-theme & the station was the only thing receiving any futuristic / space feeling.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Well in regard to the theming, the only addition of substantial size outside of the station is a piece of theming encircling the track where the viewing area on the lift hill is.

A few months ago I'd have thought the same but Alton Towers have stated its a ground-breaking experience, plan to announce it at the London Science Museum which currently has a space exhibit on show, its themed around space, Shawn Sanbrooke hinted at it in his vlog a while ago & Galactica has been trademarked.

That to me is more than enough information to put an end to the uncertainty about VR. I'm sure they wouldn't of taken the time out to announce it at such a prestige location if it was a mere re-theme & the station was the only thing receiving any futuristic / space feeling.

None of that actually 100% confirms it though. I am probably wrong, I normally am when it comes to things park related. All that confirms is that it's going to be given a space theme. AT may have said its a ground breaking experience, but it still doesn't confirm it.

I guess I'm just holding out hope that AT realise what a stupid waste of money it will be.