UK theme parks from another point of view!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Galactica - 2016 Air Re-theme

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Emporium wrote:
xylyx wrote:
The plans mention a photopoint, and if my mind serves me correctly it was in the queue line, which kinda makes more sense with the advent of VR

I believe that the photo section is where the intersection (of the queues) are at the moment (when they direct you to station 1 or 2). In the plans it was there, correct me if I'm wrong!

You are right, the photo point will be where the queue separates for the 2 stations
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2104!
Ride count 2020: 331!
Cred count: 117!

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 pm

what's the point of photos if your face is covered?

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:16 pm

vandark wrote:
what's the point of photos if your face is covered?

As per the plans submitted, the photos will be taken in a newly constructed photo point which will be situated in the queueline, therefore meaning you can have a photo without the headset. If I was to guess I'd suspect that the photo would be a green screen photo of guests preparing to embark on their Galactic adventure.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Both Galactica and GHOST TRAIN have now received attention all over the globe! This article by American tech group Techno Buffalo explains about each attraction and positively reviews both stating that "You may want to book a flight to England this spring."!

This is great news and I hope you worldwide notice continues!

SkuM001
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:34 am

Owen wrote:
Both Galactica and GHOST TRAIN have now received attention all over the globe! This article by American tech group Techno Buffalo explains about each attraction and positively reviews both stating that "You may want to book a flight to England this spring."!

This is great news and I hope you worldwide notice continues!

Yeah all the tech blogs have picked up on it. People may be skeptical about these VR rides, but the idea is seemingly turning heads so far.

Doopy Dan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 am

I find it strange how Merlin are installing two VR attractions with similar VR technology but have decided to use different company's for the headsets. Samsung for AT and HTC for Thorpe.

With Rollercoasters at least, the group have a history of unifying new installs for multiple parks to the same manufacture, to drive costs down. As we all know Merlin like to keep costs down at every single opportunity.

I am sure now that HTC and Samsung branding will be on each respective ride somewhere, obviously including the headsets. They are both are very marketable brands to the general public, being consumer electronics company's.

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:05 pm

they probably don't want the expensive headsets flying around on a roller-coaster! haha.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:19 pm

I think it has to do with the fact the Ghost Train needs a higher caliber of tech. Samsung as stated previously is simply a headset with a smart phone in one end and this is adequate and needed due to their being no power sources available while in motion.

Whereas HTC Vive (from pictures I've seen) require some form of power connection. I could be wrong on this as I've not done a lot of looking into it.

Also given the theme of the ride as some suggested to create maximum effect they can switch between what is seen in the VR world & what is seen in reality and can use this technology to control what a user sees and when. And can achieve I'd imagine quite amazing results & scares.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

CharlesParry
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:26 pm

It may also be they Thorpe don't want to back the wrong horse, and hedging their bets. One company may not last in the VR business, so makes sense not to all their eggs in one basket.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:47 pm

CharlesParry wrote:
It may also be they Thorpe don't want to back the wrong horse, and hedging their bets. One company may not last in the VR business, so makes sense not to all their eggs in one basket.

They'll both last in the market as they are different, however I still don't think that to be the reason.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:38 pm

The two variants of VR have different strengths, the Samsung is a very mobile simple headset, the Vive can be tethered to a location and implement it fully in the vr world.

For instance with the suspended train if they have the cameras inside talking to the headsets you can do all sorts of strange things with perception because the vr is working within a mapped singular location that you can walk around and bump into.

I remember an edition of Crate and Crowbar where they mentioned this tech when Valve worked on it and they were saying about how weird it was to reach out touch and walk round a virtual world that you could physically interact with due to the prescribed location.

The Samsung tech is just as clever but far better for the trip around a rollercoaster track as it doesn't have to worry about the location just play the simulation :)

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Do the Samsung headsets require a phone for you to use the VR function? Or is it inbuilt?

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:05 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
Do the Samsung headsets require a phone for you to use the VR function? Or is it inbuilt?

they need a Samsung phone on the commercial versions.

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:35 am

vandark wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:

I think you mean retail not commercial are there any current commercial uses of samsumg vr?
For my money id say that it
Depends how involved samsing is in the project but I can't see them having full retail s6 in them all it needs is a screen motherboard and battery dosent even need a sim card slot

Imba little surprised the ride is not sponsored by samsung and im half expecting phone sales on the way out at peak season

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Master_feedback wrote:
vandark wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:

I think you mean retail not commercial are there any current commercial uses of samsumg vr?
For my money id say that it
Depends how involved samsing is in the project but I can't see them having full retail s6 in them all it needs is a screen motherboard and battery dosent even need a sim card slot

Imba little surprised the ride is not sponsored by samsung and im half expecting phone sales on the way out at peak season
sorry, yes the retail version.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 am

How the art for Galactica was pieced together by LMC Design: https://www.instagram.com/p/BA18qO4jOrX/

Image Image

LMC Design/Wordley Production have now done the MAP advert, Galactica & Derren Brown Ghost Train artwork. If they are helping with the standalone adverts for both these attractions then they should be good.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:24 am

They could have at least got the track design correct! Its nothing like a B&M design.

This is me being picky, but still, details people, details! ;)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:01 am

Been thinking if you don't want to ride with the headset on it will feel like you are still riding Air.
I bet the staff are most happy that the stations are now boxed in many of the staff hated the cold.
Onto having a photo op area instead of on ride photos is only gonna be good if you can skip it. I just tell the staff straight away that no point taking mine/our photo as I ain't gonna buy it.

NemeJaney
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:50 pm

I had a thought earlier. If a train with used VR headsets was to stop on the lift hill, would the VR footage continue?

I was thinking they might have ways of dealing with this...
- motion-sensor checkpoints that only trigger the right bits of footage when the train passes to reduce desynchronisation
- stopping the footage when the train stops and then fast-forwarding and restarting it when the train restarts
- or perhaps the increased dispatch time (either deliberate for this purpose or naturally due to the VR headsets) in the stations will mean the train ahead will have had more time to get back into the blocks/station so the train behind doesn't have to pause on the lift hill to let that happen.

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:13 pm

NemeJaney wrote:
I had a thought earlier. If a train with used VR headsets was to stop on the lift hill, would the VR footage continue?

I was thinking they might have ways of dealing with this...
- motion-sensor checkpoints that only trigger the right bits of footage when the train passes to reduce desynchronisation
- stopping the footage when the train stops and then fast-forwarding and restarting it when the train restarts
- or perhaps the increased dispatch time (either deliberate for this purpose or naturally due to the VR headsets) in the stations will mean the train ahead will have had more time to get back into the blocks/station so the train behind doesn't have to pause on the lift hill to let that happen.

the vr will always be in sync with the rides movement, so if the ride stops, so will the vr's movement.