UK theme parks from another point of view!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Galactica - 2016 Air Re-theme

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:02 pm

Today's Preliminary Results 2015 and Strategy Update presentation by Merlin included the following images of Galactica's theming features and a look at its VR content.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm glad the VR looks really nice, I was worrying that it would be cheap graphics and such, but I was wrong! (luckily!)
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1901!
Ride count 2020: 128!
Cred count: 96!

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:42 am

For the visuals to be that good I think that they will be a rendered video that plays on the VR headset and is somehow synchronised with the ride. That way there is little processing power required. Makes more sense and allows for realistic visuals, as opposed to a 3D generated environment in realtime which is really not necessary on a pre determined layout like this.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:56 am

Do you think if the ride breaks down on the lift hill the video on the headset will stop playing then continue after the restart?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Alton Towers have updated their website to state that Galactica will open on Thursday 24th March.

Seems they've got a new trick of opening a month earlier than expected now. Not that it's a bad thing...

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Javs wrote:
For the visuals to be that good I think that they will be a rendered video that plays on the VR headset and is somehow synchronised with the ride. That way there is little processing power required. Makes more sense and allows for realistic visuals, as opposed to a 3D generated environment in realtime which is really not necessary on a pre determined layout like this.
it's possible, but I doubt it. I still think it's real time rendered. there are too many variables with pre rendered video.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:56 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Alton Towers have updated their website to state that Galactica will open on Thursday 24th March.

Seems they've got a new trick of opening a month earlier than expected now. Not that it's a bad thing...

Well I think that's down to Easter been early this year.
The 24th in the day the kids finish school so the park hope having the new attraction ready the park will be very busy over the Easter period.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Looks like I'll be going on the 24th instead of 20th then! (Or I might go twice)
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1901!
Ride count 2020: 128!
Cred count: 96!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:52 pm

I'll be there on the 20th and 25th! Very excited!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

LiamWhitehurst
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:03 pm

vandark wrote:
it's possible, but I doubt it. I still think it's real time rendered. there are too many variables with pre rendered video.
I really hope not, real time rendering on a mobile phone will most probably produce poor quality vr worlds, it might even wind up being cartoony like the iOS and android game. I hope they decide to go the extra mile and get it pre rendered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:21 pm

LiamWhitehurst wrote:
vandark wrote:
I really hope not, real time rendering on a mobile phone will most probably produce poor quality vr worlds, it might even wind up being cartoony like the iOS and android game. I hope they decide to go the extra mile and get it pre rendered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
don't think pre-rendered would be reliable enough.

don't worry, I've had a look at some Samsung vr games and the graphics are fantastic.

it will look like you are in a high quality video game.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:43 am

The Resort have confirmed in social media responses that £2million has been spent on Galactica.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:16 pm

The latest Galactinauts challenge utilises a full video recording of the original announcement presentation. Interestingly it's stated that John Wardley was one of the first people to test it out on-ride, and it seems to have got his overwhelming approval.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Enjoyed the talk from the guy from Figment Productions about the technology & system implementation but the rest was cheesy..
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Sentri558
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:09 pm

I'll give yall a clue about the whole "video" idea:

If it's a video, when you turn your head it wont match up with what you're doing. This would result in a "choppy" feeling which is simply not acceptable. If it IS a pre-rendered video, I would be incredibly surprised. The idea of being able to choose what you look at has appeal with many people, and all previous VR trials have used a current-render VR system.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:22 pm

I would like to point out that all 360 degree VR videos that are around for phones now is all pre rendered as far as I know :)

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:44 pm

I assume it's like a 360 degree pre-rendered video sort of thing that plays around you.

Anyway, I can't wait to journey to....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZpcdp ... u.be&t=19s

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Sentri558 wrote:
I'll give yall a clue about the whole "video" idea:

If it's a video, when you turn your head it wont match up with what you're doing. This would result in a "choppy" feeling which is simply not acceptable. If it IS a pre-rendered video, I would be incredibly surprised. The idea of being able to choose what you look at has appeal with many people, and all previous VR trials have used a current-render VR system.
pre rendered 360 video would still allow you to look around, although it would be almost impossible to sync with the varying speed of the ride.

a lot of rides still struggle with synced audio, which is pre rendered.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:53 am

Galactica Advert should be out any day now.

Few weeks back. Filming at Alton Towers for galactica. Advert out soon. Tickets selling now.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:08 am

It wouldn't be hard to sync the video with the ride speed. With all the accelerometer sensors on mobile phones, it is easy to do.