UK theme parks from another point of view!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Galactica - 2016 Air Re-theme

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 pm

I've just experienced a VR simulator and omg it was amazing. It aurally felt like I was going upside down. I loved it. Cannot wait for Galactica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:59 am

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/03/alton- ... trated-me/

This is perhaps one of the most realistic reviews I've read so far. It doesn't read like a giant advertisement where they've been paid to say nice things, unlike the various local paper reviews.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 am

Jammydodger wrote:
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/03/alton-towers-galactica-vr-roller-coaster-delighted-and-frustrated-me/

This is perhaps one of the most realistic reviews I've read so far. It doesn't read like a giant advertisement where they've been paid to say nice things, unlike the various local paper reviews.

The only issue is its this is that they seem to complain about the ride layout itself which isn't really the point of Galactica, if they want to critique the ride layout they shouldn't be talking about it as though it is a new ride entirely when it isn't. Other than that I agree :)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Here is a video of the portal in full effect, doesn't look so cheap now! ;)

Video from TowersStreet Facebook.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:34 pm

I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed by that. It has sound effects, mist & visible lighting as if the portal is powering up then powering down. This thing is going to look so impressive come the night time rides.

Very well done! I just hope the effects remain in constant use.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Here are some photos from TowersStreet Facebook.

Main Entrance

Station

Note that "Air Gate" has been changed to "Galactica Gate".

Video showing station here.

Galatica Store

Building Exterior

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Looking at some of the other TS pictures it seems they have Samsung Gear VR for sale it seems. Definitely saw on boxed in the store.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:55 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Looking at some of the other TS pictures it seems they have Samsung Gear VR for sale it seems. Definitely saw on boxed in the store.

It isn't the Samsung product but more of a generic product. This photo from TowersNerd shows the product -

These are selling for around £20 online and have received generally good reviews. The headset should fit most phones and you can use headphones with it to be fully immersed, with the main issue that it may lead to your phone overheating due to the lack of air flow through the headset.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:16 pm

That's cool but it was this image that I saw, that is Samsung Gear VR but as to if they are selling it or maybe a demo I'm not sure.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:20 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
That's cool but it was this image that I saw, that is Samsung Gear VR but as to if they are selling it or maybe a demo I'm not sure.

I see, the Immerse Headset is likely there as another option because not everyone is going to have £80 to spend on a headset!

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Owen wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:

I see, the Immerse Headset is likely there as another option because not everyone is going to have £80 to spend on a headset!
and you still need a Samsung phone to put in it!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Earlier today, TowersTimes got access to Galactica.

For more news from the park TowersTimes have have been posting on Facebook

Mermalizer
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Just out of curiosity, is it just the one portal or are there a few portals around the track? I've heard somewhere that there was more than one portal.
Prepare to be mermalized!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:32 pm

There's one portal in real life and multiple within the VR simulation :)

althorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:36 pm

so who got to try it today?

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:53 pm

This part of the review on the link posted earlier worries me a lot:

"My final criticism concerns timings. Relatively speaking, the boarding process took a long time. A lot longer than the ride itself. As well as strapping each rider in and ensuring they wear and optimise their high-tech gear correctly, Galactica's team of attendants also needs to wipe down the Gear VR headsets with disinfectant between rides."

AIR had a fairly chunky throughput on 2 stations and was reaching around 1400 an hour, yet still getting 2 hour queues.. This is going to be evil during peak season. This was also experienced on the other trial rides too and I'm amazed that they've gone for this approach given how much it'll slow things down.

It'll be the Saw:The Ride of Alton Towers...

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:24 am

Well Towers will need to employ more ride staff during busier times to ensure they get a quicker throughput.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:24 am

daboywunda wrote:
...This was also experienced on the other trial rides too and I'm amazed that they've gone for this approach given how much it'll slow things down.

Unfortunately VR is going to be a major part of the future of entertainment so it was without question about whether they would jump on the bandwagon.

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Sadly, I think you're right.. This isn't a "Swarm Backwards" gimmick that we can put down in a few years time.. This is hear to stay. It also must be cheaper in the long run to just create a video synchronised with a ride that can be changed to update it, rather than spending the money on physical props around the ride.. I mean, after-all, the ride could just be in an empty building and you'd be none the wiser.

As for employing more staff, I'm not sure that would help throughput.. It seems from the reviews that the headsets are not replaced to be cleaned, but cleaned in situ; then have to be calibrated etc. I guess it will speed up as staff get used to it and all, but this is still going to be awful.

I'm totally not sold on the idea.. I was 50 / 50 on it to start with, but now.. I'm more "nope". I wouldn't want to wait 3 hours for this experience in the same way I wouldn't wait long for Swarm Backwards either; but then I guess I might be a traditionalist in his mid-30's experiencing life leaving him behind for the first time. It's a slippery slope from here.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:37 pm

I am hoping for it to
Feel amazing. When I did the VR experience this week. It was just a chair that moved with a VR headset yet I still felt like I was riding a Fabbri Booster. It even managed to make me feel like I was going upside down even though I wasn't. It was great fun and I got off feeling like I had just rode one. The graphics weren't as good as the preview of Galactica and it was still good. If a simple chair/simulator can have that effect, then I can't wait to see what Galactica can do.

However my fear is the future of rides. This chair that I went on did simulate a ride really well and will have been cheaper than installing a ride, so is there the possibility of a move towards replacing actual rides for a VR simulation. They will be a much cheaper option and save more space.

Although for a small park, this kind of simulation could work well for an alternative to a large coaster that they can't afford to build, but give a similar experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk