UK theme parks from another point of view!

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Galactica - 2016 Air Re-theme

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:11 pm

I agree AIR was my favourite ride in the dark, this will hopefully just add to that.

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:48 am

my biggest problem with air, is the fact you never really go upside down, but on your back. bit odd really.

I'm hoping the new visuals add something to this aspect of the ride.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 am

I'm off to towers in a few minutes, heading straight over to Galactica during ERT. Will give a review when I come back!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2031!
Ride count 2020: 258!
Cred count: 117!

owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:00 pm

45 minute wait, and 50 for Spinball, every other big coaster fairly quiet, The Smiler keeps getting busy then quiet.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Oh fly to lie and that underbanked turn is my favourite part of AIR. Can't wait to see what they have in store for that with galactica.

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:42 pm

Another tech article that may be of interest.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... ng-gear-vr

I still don't see how they are getting away with this "first/only dedicated roller-coaster to VR" Regardless of content synchronisation, that's the only unique part of this system I can see to it other than it being a Samsung Gear VR with pre-rendered content.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Wow. Galactica is absolutely amazing, and well worth the wait from 9:30! I feel the photo point in the queue is a bit pointless and just holds up the queue, although past that point there are no queues pretty much! The boarding process is extremely slow and it didn't help that the ride host on our row wasn't very helpful (don't worry Janey it wasn't you, although I did see you! :lol). The VR is well synced and I actually found that it made it feel like you were going faster and there were more forces, when actually it's just Air's same old layout! The Portal is really impressive, don't let photos fool you!

zakwoolley1
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:09 pm

I notice that on the board with all the safety instruction it says riders must wear the headset during the duration of the ride. So does that mean you MUST wear the headset or does it mean you can't take it off mid ride?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
CHECK OUT THE COASTER COUNTER APP:
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nter&hl=en

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:11 pm

zakwoolley1 wrote:
I notice that on the board with all the safety instruction it says riders must wear the headset during the duration of the ride. So does that mean you MUST wear the headset or does it mean you can't take it off mid ride?

It means don't take off the headset for the entire ride. Just tell the ride host you wish to ride without VR. once stopped on the brake run you are told to take of your headsets, but that's it

zakwoolley1
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Good good. I wanted to see if anything has happened with the tunnel so I was going to have a go without vr if the queues aren't too big.

CHECK OUT THE COASTER COUNTER APP:
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nter&hl=en

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:18 pm

zakwoolley1 wrote:
Good good. I wanted to see if anything has happened with the tunnel so I was going to have a go without vr if the queues aren't too big.

Highest queue today was 45 minutes, and lowest was 10 minutes. Got a feeling that during the holidays it is going to be really busy. Nothing has been done with the tunnel.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Liam.W wrote:

Highest queue today was 45 minutes, and lowest was 10 minutes. Got a feeling that during the holidays it is going to be really busy. Nothing has been done with the tunnel.

According to RideTimes it had a 70 minute queue at 4:00pm.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Liam.W wrote:
zakwoolley1 wrote:

Towersnerd (or whatever they're called) posted a queue line walkthrough of it being near enough walk on, but this was probably at the beginning of the day.

On live.towersnerd.com there are a lot of pictures and a few videos of the Galactica opening day :)

Also, regarding throughput, if the dispatch time is 3 mins (I read it somewhere, idk if it's accurate), with both stations and dispatches every 1 min 30 secs, the throughput would be around 1120 pph so it may not be as bad as we thought, providing that the dispatch time is kept that short.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Dan wrote:
Liam.W wrote:

According to RideTimes it had a 70 minute queue at 4:00pm.

I had left park by then!

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Adam.W wrote:
Liam.W wrote:
zakwoolley1 wrote:

Towersnerd (or whatever they're called) posted a queue line walkthrough of it being near enough walk on, but this was probably at the beginning of the day

I was queueing from 9:30 to get on and the queue was going back right into the top of the first half of the extended queue when I looked back when waiting at the photo point

Samwise
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Evening Folks - Just back from multiple rides on Galactica.
In my honest opinion, a mass improvement on what Air formally was.
I felt the graphics were great, although much harder to interpret once over the brow of the lift hill due to the fast changing environments. Given this, i felt the tunnel and lift were the strongest points visually as you had much more time to take in the surroundings.
Dispatch as expected was a shambles, though only the opening day - this is sure to be improved with time.

Overall, it's a win a from me.

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:32 pm

l
Samwise wrote:
Evening Folks - Just back from multiple rides on Galactica.
In my honest opinion, a mass improvement on what Air formally was.
I felt the graphics were great, although much harder to interpret once over the brow of the lift hill due to the fast changing environments. Given this, i felt the tunnel and lift were the strongest points visually as you had much more time to take in the surroundings.
Dispatch as expected was a shambles, though only the opening day - this is sure to be improved with time.

Overall, it's a win a from me.

I find this with a lot of multimedia rides, they cram so much in, that it's hard to focus on one particular thing and is detrimental to the overall experience.

you get off the ride not being able to remember much. they need to pull it back a bit. less is more.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:32 pm

Liam.W wrote:
I was queueing from 9:30 to get on and the queue was going back right into the top of the first half of the extended queue when I looked back when waiting at the photo point

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQxtS2926nM

By the looks of things it's at the VERY beginning, when the queue opened.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:50 pm

Adam.W wrote:
Liam.W wrote:

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQxtS2926nM

By the looks of things it's at the VERY beginning, when the queue opened.

When Galacky first opened and everyone who had been queuing since ERT had got in, the queue was up to about 1:55 on the video!

Whoguru5
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:58 am

I have yet to ride Galactica but apart from air's music going away I don't feel this update could ruin the ride for me it gave air a theme something I have wanted for years and if the vr is not enjoyable the option to ride without is still there. Hopefully I will able to go to the park soon and experience it for myself.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.