UK theme parks from another point of view!

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Galactica - 2016 Air Re-theme

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:16 pm

went on Galactica today for the first time. What a mind blowing experience! Great graphics and sound, totally immersive.

looptheloop
TT Member
TT Member

Galactica - 2016 Air Re-theme

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:52 pm

First ride on Galactica today, impressive ride, will be interested to see what the new planets are like once added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:12 pm

vandark wrote:
went on Galactica today for the first time. What a mind blowing experience! Great graphics and sound, totally immersive.

Must agree. I love watching this back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaCpA_S218.
I would recommend everyone to at least give it a go. Galactica has huge potential and I look forward to seeing it evolve!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:53 pm

Weird question, but how much more claustrophobic does the pouch make the restrains?

I don't suffer from claustrophobia on attractions, however looking at the placement I can imagine it's quite uncomfortable?

If someone could confirm/debunk this that's be awesome, thanks in advance. :)

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:56 pm

In terms of how the restraints sit on your body it is exactly the same as before. The pouch for the headset is set in front of you - it doesn't add anything to the main part of the restraint as the ride already had the vest style restraints anyway.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:58 pm

However in terms of view?

I know it's very odd to ask as I would be wearing a headset for the duration, however I'm quite intrigued to find out how this effects the field of vision whist boarding, and on the break run :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Owen wrote:
However in terms of view?

I know it's very odd to ask as I would be wearing a headset for the duration, however I'm quite intrigued to find out how this effects the field of vision whist boarding, and on the break run :)

The restraint and how much you can move feels exactly the same as Air. Everything feels the same, except you have a VR headset on!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 pm

From all the reviews I've seen here I wasn't expecting much, but it couldn't be further from that!

I didn't find the loading a problem, thought it was pretty quick and for me at least there was no setup of the headset needed, I just put it on and it was perfect. Good fit, nice clear image.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the quality and resolution on the graphics, but for me nothing jumped out at as anything other than excellent and I've used a lot of VR in the past.

The headset stayed on fine, but it did rattle a lot on the section when you go on your back.
Last edited by lewis97 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed swearing

LiamWhitehurst
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2016 3:55 pm

Went on Galactica for the 6th time today and it was horrendous. I don't even understand how the orientation could've been so out, I was flying backwards upside down when I was upright and for the most part, my screen was more than half black. It left me feeling frustrated more than anything. How can a ride so new be so broken already? I told the host as I was getting off and she said she's had rides like I had before. Someone else on the forum also said they had a ride like that so this can't be a one off occurrence, there's something seriously wrong with Galactica...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2016 4:37 pm

It seems like such a hit and miss ride. Some people's experience being horrid whilst others being good.

I'm going for my first ride of it a week today, this will be the first ride i get on to ensure i can ride it without waiting an hour or so.

PaxmanValenta
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Just got back from a two day bender at towers with the following observations re Galactica:

Rode Galactica five times. The velcro on the VR headsets is already showing signs of deterioration. The velcro on in particular was struggling to hold the headset around my head and slipped forward going over the first inversion. This made the image quality pretty naff as the headset was rattling about on my head.

Second and third time again were different. The glass lens that you look through were showing signs of damage. One was quite badly scratched and the other had a bit of dust or grime on the glass that had been missed by the ride hosts cleaning or was too stubborn to be removed. Furthermore the third time round my audio was about half a second out from the visual graphics, made noticeable as you get to the final wormhole in the VR - the audio said i'd arrived before the graphics had actually 'taken' me there.

Fourth time headset was much better materially but a massive graphics issue made the top of the VR world (imagine a big black 3d oblong) bleed and drift in and out of my field of vision all the way around, mentioned to the ride host and got a Fast pass in compensation.

Final go was again different. Headset and graphics were okay but the focus wheel didn't really do much, and as I wear corrective lenses I struggled to keep the finer points of the VR world in detail.

In regards to the slow boarding times I noticed on Friday that the ride hosts are asking people to take out their VR headsets as soon as they sit down, but not put them on so that they can be cleaned prior to use. But the TV and audio you see and hear in the batching area, tells you to keep your headset in it's pouch until a ride host hands it to you. This in turn holds up the ride hosts as they have to ask people to get their VR headset out, then not to put it on so they can clean it, then get them to put it on and make sure they can see 'Galactica' and then do the final harness/software check. Maybe it was just that days operators, but neither way felt quick. Plus they are still only using one station with a two craft operation, although a third craft was sat powered up and prepped in Station Two.

All in all I think that VR hasn't been the success AT hoped - I loved Air, infact, I adored it. The motions and the music and the gentleness of the whole machine was spectacular and it's made me miss it even more as I don't get the same feeling now. I get the VR aspect and it does attract crowds, I just don't think the hardware and the software are there yet to get it to work seven hundred times a day, completely faultless on something as complex as a multi aspect roller coaster.
Just keep pushing buttons...

Sentri558
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 02, 2016 2:04 pm

My Mother only really does soft rides like Th13teen, Air and RMT when we go to the Towers. She doesn't do well with technology, and I was wondering how the headset was doing in terms of motion-sickness levels.

Is it smooth or jerky? Does it feel fluid or jagged?

Cheers in advance.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon May 02, 2016 6:39 pm

Hey everyone. Just a quick one from me. I've moved all discussion about the Galactica stop to the Ride Downtime topic which can be found here :)

becca
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Personally I'm not loving the idea as I love Air and don't feel it needs anything else. And you can ride motion simulators which take up less space and give much the same effect (I assume)

Few questions -
1) Headsets - how are they cleaned and how often? Is this not a breeding ground for fungus etc from sweaty heads?

2) Vision/glasses - there are some people who can not see 3d films properly. Can they see VR clearly? From this thread I see there is a focus wheel - but what about those with depth perception issues?

3) Can you ride "Air style" (without VR) or is that not allowed as the ride is no longer "Air". I'd probably give VR a go but given the choice, I'd almost certainly take the flying experience alone.

I just feel this is an idea that seems hit and miss (from this thread) and perhaps people aren't totally loving it and aren't seeing it as a necessary change. Nothing against a good retheme but is this just too far and pointless?

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2016 4:10 am

becca wrote:
Few questions -
1) Headsets - how are they cleaned and how often? Is this not a breeding ground for fungus etc from sweaty heads?

2) Vision/glasses - there are some people who can not see 3d films properly. Can they see VR clearly? From this thread I see there is a focus wheel - but what about those with depth perception issues?

3) Can you ride "Air style" (without VR) or is that not allowed as the ride is no longer "Air". I'd probably give VR a go but given the choice, I'd almost certainly take the flying experience alone.

1.) They are cleaned before you get on and after you get off fairly thoroughly with an antibacterial wipe.

2.) I would check the H&S board thing by the entrance. The focus wheel is for people with glasses, I think. If people have problems with 3D videos I don't think it should be a problem, as the videos aren't actually 3D.

3.) Alton Towers have said that you can't ride without the headset, as it's "fully dedicated to VR", but I have seen people on the ride without the headset on.

Credit to NemesisRider

Lillyland
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2016 12:47 pm

I loved it. Absolutely loved it.
I was really sceptical after reading comments about it, but I had no timing issues, and though the headset was not 100% in focus (my contacts were dry, so probably my fault) it was still amazing. Can't get my head around how the vr works, couldn't believe I was moving my head and the field of vision changed accordingly.

Maybe I am just easily pleased though. Hahaha.

Thorpegirl123
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 03, 2016 8:03 pm

First time on today since it changed and I wont bother again. The whole ride from start to finish was a disappointment. I spent the whole ride trying to hold the headset in place, picture was flickering all over the place. I will go on again but I won't use the VR. My boyfriend thought it was ok but he had issues with the headset riding up his head when it puts you on your back.

On a positive though before today I had only been on the smiler once and wasn't to sure but after 3 rides today I love it. 5* from me!

vandark
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 04, 2016 10:15 am

the girl sitting next to me on Galactica was crying when she got off, saying it was the most incredible thing she'd ever seen!

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 04, 2016 10:21 pm

These reactions are so mixed. Personally, I love it, but I can see why people don't like it as much.

Credit to NemesisRider

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 04, 2016 11:25 pm

It's problem is inconsistency. If they can get it running no glitches or issues, then it is top quality, I had 2 top quality rides, 1 meh ride and one absolutely terrible out of sync disorientating mess of a ride. Basically by the time we left the lift, the VR was on or almost the section where you hit the fly to lie, and it went off way before hitting the brakes.. The thing I've noticed is in row one and two it was perfectly in sync, in row 4 it was slightly out and on the back it was just the most disorientating experience I've had, and I have never, ever felt sick on a ride before that day. I couldn't walk up the stairs afterwards :lol basically ride at the front :P