UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ride Downtime 2016

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:41 am

It opened before/around half 12 yesterday, got off the smiler and went on it. May have been earlier but I was in the projection room for quite a bit.

HalfwayCorrected
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:17 pm

The Smiler went down at around 4:50 after a harness issue. It resulted in a evacuation of the train on the transfer. The queue was also emptied with priority passes handed out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRM
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Damn I went on oblivion instead of smiler at 4:50 I could've done with a priority pass haha

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Not so much downtime, but Oblivion was running on single dispatch (not sure if it switched to two dispatches later in the day though)

I'm imagining it's to do with the recent problems it's been having.

kris3012
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Adam.W wrote:
Not so much downtime, but Oblivion was running on one station (not sure if it switched to two stations later in the day though)

I'm imagining it's to do with the recent problems it's been having.

It's been running one station every time I visited this season (3/4 Saturday's so far)
I asked ones of the ops why and he said it was because it wasn't busy

TRM
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:58 pm

yeah was on 1 station all day adam

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:55 am

Does anyone know why oblivion hasn't been running using two loading areas lately? Every single trip I have had since June 2015 it has only been using one loading area
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2133!
Ride count 2020: 360!
Cred count: 117!

HalfwayCorrected
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 am

Liam.W wrote:
Does anyone know why oblivion hasn't been running using two loading areas lately? Every single trip I have had since June 2015 it has only been using one loading area
Probably because of the queues being too short so 2 stations would mean loads of empty shuttles.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:01 am

HalfwayCorrected wrote:
Liam.W wrote:
Probably because of the queues being too short so 2 stations would mean loads of empty shuttles.

But it's even been on one loading area even when the queue was down to the building where fast rack and single rider queue splits!

HalfwayCorrected
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:03 am

Or could be to do with the blocks having shuttles close together and after the incident that could be considered as an issue

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 am

The reason for Oblivion using single-station loading is simply because it hasn't been getting the queues needed to warrant opening the second station.

Over the past weekend it was using 4 shuttles on 1 station and still wasn't generating a queue. In fact, you were probably sat on the brake run waiting to get off for longer than you were queueing to get on.

Either way, it's not Downtime so shouldn't be discussed in this topic :)

SkuM001
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:45 pm

According to the data from ridetimes, here is all the downtime which was published by Alton Towers so far this year:

Notably Oblivion is having ongoing issues it would seem. The other rides are largely inline with their usual expected amount of downtime. Notably Galactica is running with excellent uptime so far.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Topic Author

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:05 pm

SkuM001 wrote:
According to the data from ridetimes, here is all the downtime which was published by Alton Towers so far this year:

Notably Oblivion is having ongoing issues it would seem. The other rides are largely inline with their usual expected amount of downtime. Notably Galactica is running with excellent uptime so far.

As has already been mentioned so far in this topic, RideTimes isn't always the best tool to use when gauging actual downtime as a) it is only updated every 30 minutes and b) just because an attraction is listed as closed it doesn't necessarily mean it has a technical issue.

I believe at least one of the occasions where The Smiler was shown as being closed was a result of a guest illness. The attraction was closed while it was cleaned up and when RideTimes updated the clean-up was still ongoing so it was showing as being closed for the next half an hour.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:28 pm

When will people learn, you don't go on The Smiler just after lunch! :no: :lol

SkuM001
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Dan wrote:
As has already been mentioned so far in this topic, RideTimes isn't always the best tool to use when gauging actual downtime as a) it is only updated every 30 minutes and b) just because an attraction is listed as closed it doesn't necessarily mean it has a technical issue.

I believe at least one of the occasions where The Smiler was shown as being closed was a result of a guest illness. The attraction was closed while it was cleaned up and when RideTimes updated the clean-up was still ongoing so it was showing as being closed for the next half an hour.

Totally agree with you there.

It does however give us at least a rough overall picture of what is going on, especially for the extended lengths of downtime experienced. It is clear to see the difference in uptime records between say Nemesis or Galactica, and Oblivion or Spinball Whizzer this season. From my experience of collecting this data for the past year, ridetimes is not usually updated to show "closed" for short cleanup type delays, however it obviously depends on the member of staff responsible, and it does happen from time to time.

Interestingly, "closed" is actually updated more frequently than every 30 minutes, and only the actual wait times have a 30 minute delay on being updated. An odd set up indeed, but the website tech hasn't been changed in years! I do however only collect data from the website every 30 minutes so as to not unnecessarily spam it with data requests, so some of the "0.5 hour" downtimes may have actually only been minutes in reality, I will accept.

So the numbers are not to be taken as "exact", and are just a summary of what was published onto the website :)

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Owen wrote:
When will people learn, you don't go on The Smiler just after lunch! :no: :lol

I always go on the smiler after lunch, it's so convenient as I always eat at fried chicken co!

DeadJack5
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Rita was down for most of today according to RideTimes, anybody know why?

archie.mm
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:36 pm

Deadjack5 wrote:
Rita was down for most of today according to RideTimes, anybody know why?

Wasn't there a powercut?

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:52 am

Snow seems to be having an effect. Only Enterprise open for thrill rides at ridetimes.co.uk
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:56 am

MakoMania wrote:
Snow seems to be having an effect. Only Enterprise open for thrill rides at ridetimes.co.uk

I believe RideTimes is currently broken as it was listing the same ride availability yesterday when the theme park was fully closed.