UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 1371
Joined: April 2018

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Totally understand this thinking. The park is not far off being a year-round resort, with it being open in pretty much every school holiday now. Given the Staffordshire climate, Alton certainly need some bigger ticket indoor attractions.

But with it being so far away from any entrances, I feel they may struggle to be able to make it more independent in usage. More so if they're doing off-season maintenance or trying to hide the construction of a secret weapon. People with cameras will be a problem. :lol This is not say I don't expect them to try. :)

Then there's pricing (because we haven't discussed that enough :P). If it's low throughput, then surely it will need ticketing of some sort, with it being chargeable in some form seemingly the most likely option. But if it's used during winter opening alongside CBeebies, where none of the annual passes are normally accepted, are people going to be expected to pay to get in and then pay to go to the only attraction that's not CBeebies? Will ticketing be different throughout the year? There's a real benefit to the simplicity of entrance fee lets you into everything.
Image
 
Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 587
Joined: June 2015
Location: Devon

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Bert2theSpark wrote:
So the question is to me, looking at it from a first time guest or infrequent visitor, Why should I pay extra to go into the Alton Towers Dungeon when I have loads of other major rides that I don't have to pay more for?

I second this. Maybe I would do it once since I've never been to one of the Dungeons before. Having been at AT this saturday gone, I'd rather they install a couple new flats instead to give more choice of rides when all the big ones are on 100+ minute queues.
 
User avatar
Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 2348
Joined: March 2003
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 pm

2-for-1 entry vouchers to the park and the new Alton Towers Dungeon have been released for visits in 2019.

As well as suggesting an opening date of both the Dungeons and theme park of 23rd March 2019, the combined ticket indicates an upcharge addition like the similar attraction at Warwick Castle.

Credit:
https://twitter.com/ThatCubT/status/1054470288065355776
Image
 
User avatar
AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 360
Joined: March 2017
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Chris wrote:
2-for-1 entry vouchers to the park and the new Alton Towers Dungeon have been released for visits in 2019.

As well as suggesting an opening date of both the Dungeons and theme park of 23rd March 2019, the combined ticket indicates an upcharge addition like the similar attraction at Warwick Castle.

Credit:
https://twitter.com/ThatCubT/status/1054470288065355776


Beat me to it! I found one on the floor on the way home today. Looks like you’ll be able to buy combos too
Image
Image
Thanks Jack
 
User avatar
Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 1371
Joined: April 2018

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 pm

The language they've used here definitely sounds like an upcharge, along with the change to the terms and conditions. Strangely they then later mention the voucher not including secondary attractions, such as golf or tree top.

2019 Laugh & Scream, Alton Towers Dungeon + Theme Park Entry Terms and Conditions

This voucher for Theme Park Entry + Alton Towers Dungeon ("Voucher") entitles the holder to 2-for-1 entry to Alton Towers Theme Park + Alton Towers Dungeon (combined) each.

If the holder of the voucher redeems the Voucher, he/she agrees to be unconditionally bound by these terms and conditions:

If the holder of the Voucher buys a fully priced Adult entrance ticket for the Alton Towers Theme Park/Alton Towers Dungeon ("Attraction"), then he/she may take with him/her one other Adult or Child who will enter the same Attraction on the same day free of charge.

The Voucher can only be redeemed where the holder pays the full Adult ticket price (without any concessions or discounts) as stated at the Attraction entrance gate at the time of entry.


Source: Alton Towers Ts&Cs

Edit: As posted just as leaving some WiFi.

It looks to me that a combined ticket will be the standard ticket. Whether that means a single shot of the Dungeon, or that non-inclusive tickets will be available, I don't know. But if it's the standard ticket, then surely it won't have time slots, as there's no way that would work logistically. It also makes me think it will have decent throughput, because they won't want to run out of these combined tickets to sell. But it also leaves me wondering why its not just a standard attraction. Could the ticket name just be an advertising strategy, and really it's a normal inclusive attraction?

Much confusion for me on the business side. :P
Image
 
User avatar
Rita88
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: October 2017

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:25 am

Justin wrote:
They won't put a very successful brand in then to close it down a couple of seasons later. It will be here to stay and while it may only be seasonal, I do think they are looking at the parks long term future, possibly opening up the resort and selected attractions during closed season. This is already happening with Christmas, Pirates and Princess Weekends, so they are operating half of the closed season already, in some form!

With regards to Cloud Cuckoo Land, hopefully we will see a retheme very, very soon. I doubt it will be 2019 now though, so I'm looking towards 2020.


I have heard possibly on here that but honestly can’t remember that after the completion of the new Dungeons that Cloud Cuckoo Land is meant to be getting removed and then Dark Forest extended into that whole area to fully include Hex into Dark Forest.

It would make sense for them to do this after they have been improving CBeebies Land then they would build SW9 in that area.

Having looked at the map there are no major rides that could be removed to replace with SW9.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this is what they do as they have technically run out of room unless they expand into one of the car parks which I can’t see happening with them growing the park they will need more car parks.
 
User avatar
AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 360
Joined: March 2017
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Rita88 wrote:
Justin wrote:
They won't put a very successful brand in then to close it down a couple of seasons later. It will be here to stay and while it may only be seasonal, I do think they are looking at the parks long term future, possibly opening up the resort and selected attractions during closed season. This is already happening with Christmas, Pirates and Princess Weekends, so they are operating half of the closed season already, in some form!

With regards to Cloud Cuckoo Land, hopefully we will see a retheme very, very soon. I doubt it will be 2019 now though, so I'm looking towards 2020.


I have heard possibly on here that but honestly can’t remember that after the completion of the new Dungeons that Cloud Cuckoo Land is meant to be getting removed and then Dark Forest extended into that whole area to fully include Hex into Dark Forest.

It would make sense for them to do this after they have been improving CBeebies Land then they would build SW9 in that area.

Having looked at the map there are no major rides that could be removed to replace with SW9.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this is what they do as they have technically run out of room unless they expand into one of the car parks which I can’t see happening with them growing the park they will need more car parks.

This is not unachievable. Apart from the Cuckoo Cars theming, all the rides are portable so could easily be moved to Spinball's site perhaps to either extend Cbeebies land or create a new family area. Then by removing the garish facades from CCL the whole South side of the park could be transformed into Dark Forest. I think that sounds great and would love to see it happen.
Image
Image
Thanks Jack
 
User avatar
seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1100
Joined: October 2007

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:45 pm

If they add a charge for this attraction it's yet another thing that puts me off going to the park.

I bet there will be a slight price increase in 2019 too as this wouldn't surprise me. 

Towers is slowly becoming less value for money. Soon they will be charging for all the rides!!! Pure greed!
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Topic Author
Posts: 2281
Joined: June 2009
Location: Stockport

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Alton Towers have today put out a casting call for “actors and performers” for the upcoming Alton Towers Dungeon, which is set to open in 2019.

Image

Source: @alton_towers_entertainments on Instagram.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Ben
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 69
Joined: March 2016

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Dan wrote:
Alton Towers have today put out a casting call for “actors and performers” for the upcoming Alton Towers Dungeon, which is set to open in 2019.

Image

Source: @alton_towers_entertainments on Instagram.

So this is going to be about Alton Towers history?

Couple of complaints, won't it cross boundaries with Hex? How will that made scares and rides about the history in The Dungeon? Or maybe AT’s history will only be part of the experience? But AT’s history in The Dungeons does sound interesting. When do we expect this to come out? Around May sounds like a right place (especially since they release alot of their attractions around May) what do you think?

Ben.
Last edited by Justin on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In case I don't see ya good afternoon, good evening, and good night, ha ha

Formally bendaboss
 
User avatar
Justin
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2753
Joined: April 2014

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:46 pm

It won't be based purely on Alton Towers history. The scripts will tie in with the area, but only in the sense of the Plague Doctor mentioning the deceased in the local area etc, or the Highway Men looting a carriage along the tracks of Alton. Other than that, it will be your standard Dungeons experience. :)
Image
Image
 
UltimateDingbat
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 197
Joined: July 2005

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 am

I can't say I'll be doing it if it requires extra payment - Especially as Alton Towers is already expensive enough!
 
User avatar
AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 360
Joined: March 2017
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:58 am

bendaboss wrote:
When do we expect this to come out? Around may sounds like a right place (especially since they release alot of their attractions around may) what do you think?
Ben.

The voucher from the end of the season suggested it will open with the park on 23rd of March
Image
Image
Thanks Jack
 
User avatar
Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 799
Joined: July 2012

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 am

Justin wrote:
It won't be based purely on Alton Towers history. The scripts will tie in with the area, but only in the sense of the Plague Doctor mentioning the deceased in the local area etc, or the Highway Men looting a carriage along the tracks of Alton. Other than that, it will be your standard Dungeons experience. :)

This sounds like you know this for a fact? Do you have a source? 
Or is it you think the scripts will do this to tie in? 
Image
Image
 
Bert
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 357
Joined: March 2017
Location: Somewhere

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Having a Dungeon at Towers and not having any scenes based around the local area seems a bit stupid to me. The area has loads of Dungeon sort of history and yet they just choose to put a midway on the site of a major ride with the exact same scenes as the other Dungeons in Europe albeit with a slightly minor change.

I always thought a Dungeon would work well at Towers, but this isn’t the way I imagined it. Does anyone feel the same way?
[Insert Signature Here]

Formerly Bert2theSpark
 
User avatar
Justin
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2753
Joined: April 2014

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Zach wrote:
Justin wrote:
It won't be based purely on Alton Towers history. The scripts will tie in with the area, but only in the sense of the Plague Doctor mentioning the deceased in the local area etc, or the Highway Men looting a carriage along the tracks of Alton. Other than that, it will be your standard Dungeons experience. :)

This sounds like you know this for a fact? Do you have a source? 
Or is it you think the scripts will do this to tie in? 


Zach, this is based on my many experiences at many different Dungeons, so the source is experience! The characters are generic, therefore the only thing you can change is the script!
Image
Image
 
User avatar
nicky.borrill
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 98
Joined: August 2018
Location: Derbyshire

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Justin wrote:
Zach wrote:
Justin wrote:
It won't be based purely on Alton Towers history. The scripts will tie in with the area, but only in the sense of the Plague Doctor mentioning the deceased in the local area etc, or the Highway Men looting a carriage along the tracks of Alton. Other than that, it will be your standard Dungeons experience. :)

This sounds like you know this for a fact? Do you have a source? 
Or is it you think the scripts will do this to tie in? 


Zach, this is based on my many experiences at many different Dungeons, so the source is experience! The characters are generic, therefore the only thing you can change is the script!

That, and the fact you’re backed up up by the giant posters all around the park showing that they’re using the same characters and scenes as every other dungeon!!!  :lol :lol :lol
Image
 
User avatar
Justin
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2753
Joined: April 2014

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:57 pm

That is very true! :lol

You are certainly not going to get specific characters relating to Alton, therefore it will be just the scripts that relate to Alton!
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Posts: 2669
Joined: May 2013
Location: Warwickshire

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:13 pm

It may be possible that we'll see a similar format to the dungeon at Warwick Castle which uses some generic dungeons rooms with scripts adjusted to fit, but then also at least one room which is unique to Warwick
Spoiler: show
In Warwick's case it's the finale featuring Mol Bloxham. Those who know the story of Mol Bloxham also know that the room in Warwick's dungeon is also somewhat creative with the legend with it not sticking to the true story, but somewhat embelishing it.


Given that Alton does have a strong entertainments team, I'm certainly not ruling out there being at least one unique room, even if it isn't tied to a specific local legend.
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Justin
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2753
Joined: April 2014

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:53 pm

It is still a very similar show though. I'd compare that to Jack the Ripper section at London.

The Smugglers at Blackpool is also similar to Sweeney Todd at London!
Image
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests