UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: The Alton Towers Dungeon - New for 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 5:03 pm

As reported on TowersTimes social media, whilst the Dungeon will have a later opening, the attraction will typically operate the same number of hours a day, with operations continuing after park close on certain days.

This change means that guests will have greater choice in managing their time between the Dungeon and the rest of the Resort. :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 05, 2019 5:21 pm

It seems on most days they've taken two hours off the morning and added an hour in the evening, so an hour less overall on the majority of days.

Cutting hours just over a month after opening is unusual, even by Merlin's standards! I actually thought the Dungeon was great, better than I expected, but it just won't work long term as an upcharge in a theme park, especially one with opening hours as short as Alton.

Why can't Merlin just invest in sensible long term attractions like a normal theme park company!? I mean, you expect one or two failed attractions every now and then, but Merlin seem to be scoring own goals every year or two :lol
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need!

Coaster Chall
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 05, 2019 5:33 pm

It will be a scarefest thing. They will call it a "new scare experience". It will have a shorter life span that Nemesis: Sub Terra

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun May 05, 2019 6:03 pm

MakoMania wrote:
It seems on most days they've taken two hours off the morning and added an hour in the evening, so an hour less overall on the majority of days.

Guests booking hotel stays can opt to purchase a Dungeon ticket with timeslots starting from at least 11:30am, so the total number of operating hours should remain broadly the same. :)

For me, it kind of highlights that perhaps this attraction isn't in the best location. I enjoyed it, but felt it would have been an even better Resort level attraction nearer the hotels that could be done in an evening. But of course, then they wouldn't have had access to the ride system.

GregH94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Remaining open after park close might actually make more people want to do it, as they won’t see it as taking up time from their day 

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri May 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Leek Signs have posted some photos of new posters which have been added to the exterior black walls. Also, if you look closely, it appears that the permanent fire torches have now been installed on the entrance facade - I'm not sure how recent a development that is.

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun May 12, 2019 8:43 pm

As seen in the photos above, the torches have also been installed, but they are currently not lit.

Here is a picture that I took today...

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 13, 2019 12:08 pm

They definitely took their time with that one!
Formally Smiler313

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 13, 2019 5:26 pm

It is surprising how something so small and so simple as that can take so long to install, to the point where they actually have to use CGI to feature them in the advert. That is very bizarre.