UK theme parks from another point of view!

SEALIFE
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:46 pm

I don't think Rita was much of a disappointment to me or UG Land (even though I did not visit UG Land Before 2007) I looked at some old photos of UG land and it seemed it only had a couple of attractions in there, that were pretty old. I think Rita has brought the atmosphere back in with Racing and what not. :lol:

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:56 pm

I've just don't a bit of research and it turns out it was used a lot in the 1950's in the context 'why did you slip away by stealth like this?' which would make perfect sense. The car is so fast and smooth that it had moved from the start line by stealth before the opponent even realized.

Forget stealth technology, it's simply a name for a technology not a technology that represents a name!

the stealth of a cat burglar furtiveness, secretiveness, secrecy, surreptitiousness, sneakiness, slyness. antonym openness.

Skumfidus

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:24 am

I see what you're saying Kaz, but I just don't think it suits it at all. For me stealth either equals Stealth Technology or Splinter Cell lol. I don't think anyone can say Stealth (or Ritas) launch could be described as 'sly' or 'furtive' lol

There's also the whole track design, how many race tracks actually have a tophat, none I know! Whereas Rita has the nice corners and 'jumps' of a good rally. R:QOS 2 Stealth 0 lol

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:28 am

Ok then lets just call it erect bell end. :?

senor_cooper
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:33 am

Whichever way you look at it, stealth is anything but stealthy. In fact, the opposite of stealth- brashness- would have been a far more appropriate name.

EndlessWire
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:41 pm

But then again, "Stealth" is a bit of an intimidating name. Haven't done it yet, but it does look good, although I agree it's more like an unlikely, Scalectrix-style 'race track' than a real race track. I'm really into F1, and Rita's track does seem a bit like an old-style European track like Spa or the Nurburgring. In that it goes up and down, I suppose... :lol:

Was I disappointed by it? No, I was blown away. I suppose it's to do with all the negativity it recieved. It made me not expect anything from it, so when I actually came to ride it, it was far better than I expected. The launch was fantastic, and the actual course wasn't bad. I wasn't expecting a marathon, and as such, I wasn't disappointed. it was such a surprise, it's now one of my favourites (probably around the no. 4 spot after PMBO, Grand National and Infusion, I'm afraid)
Last edited by EndlessWire on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

altontowers1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:27 pm

I wasnt disapointed by Rita as i think i have ealier expressed on this topic me thinks. :)

However i am surprised it has/was voted Altontowers best ever ride :? .

x
Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc \":)\"

EndlessWire
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:53 pm

What I think they did was they asked people who'd just come off it around the time when it was opened (and therefore when there was a lot of hype) what their favourite ride was...

Bolton Warrior
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 am

Rita is an ok ride and for me the 2nd best rollercoaster at Alton after the awesome Nemesis.

However when you have done Stealth and Top Thrill Dragster it does make the launch on Rita seem a bit like the monorail pulling out of the station :lol:

Dunny#1
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:59 am

"EndlessWire" wrote:
But then again, "Stealth" is a bit of an intimidating name. Haven't done it yet, but it does look good, although I agree it's more like an unlikely, Scalectrix-style 'race track' than a real race track. I'm really into F1, and Rita's track does seem a bit like an old-style European track like Spa or the Nurburgring. In that it goes up and down, I suppose... :lol:

Was I disappointed by it? No, I was blown away. I suppose it's to do with all the negativity it recieved. It made me not expect anything from it, so when I actually came to ride it, it was far better than I expected. The launch was fantastic, and the actual course wasn't bad. I wasn't expecting a marathon, and as such, I wasn't disappointed. it was such a surprise, it's now one of my favourites (probably around the no. 2 spot after PMBO, Grand National and Infusion, I'm afraid)

Weey another fan :D

I reckon the first corner is a bit like Shanghai :P
and i dont know how the hell that it could be remotly like the nurburgring or spa lol They are both long flowing tracks, apart from the bus stop chicane at spa. It doesnt really remind me of a race track the way it goes over itself a lot but hye its still fun!

On topic i like the ride (Rita that is not stelath i didnt get to frigin go on it it was shut :() i really dont know why so many people dont like it, the acceleration is cool, the track layout isnt great but its okay! There is a good amount of airtime, and the direction change into the first corner is cool.

EndlessWire
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:56 pm

"Dunny#1""][quote=""EndlessWire" wrote:

Was I disappointed by it? No, I was blown away. I suppose it's to do with all the negativity it recieved. It made me not expect anything from it, so when I actually came to ride it, it was far better than I expected. The launch was fantastic, and the actual course wasn't bad. I wasn't expecting a marathon, and as such, I wasn't disappointed. it was such a surprise, it's now one of my favourites (probably around the no. 2 spot after PMBO, Grand National and Infusion, I'm afraid)

and i dont know how the hell that it could be remotly like the nurburgring or spa lol They are both long flowing tracks, apart from the bus stop chicane at spa. It doesnt really remind me of a race track the way it goes over itself a lot but hye its still fun![/quote]

Lol. What I meant by that was that it has fast sweeps that go up and down, like Spa.

And yeah, the airtime surprised me on Rita.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Its a good ride but needs improvment but that will never happen.
As ive said before velocity is much better imo.
Rita should have been much longer imo it could have gone
round the side of corky and that way on. I will only ever queue for it
if its at the 30 minute mark anything more forget it.

Dunny#1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 pm

"EndlessWire""][quote=""Dunny#1""][quote=""EndlessWire" wrote:

and i dont know how the hell that it could be remotly like the nurburgring or spa lol They are both long flowing tracks, apart from the bus stop chicane at spa. It doesnt really remind me of a race track the way it goes over itself a lot but hye its still fun![/quote]

Lol. What I meant by that was that it has fast sweeps that go up and down, like Spa.

And yeah, the airtime surprised me on Rita.[/quote]
Ahh yeah i get ya, like eau rouge :D :D :D

AstroDan

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:18 pm

"seanyboyuk" wrote:
As ive said before velocity is much better imo.

I am interested to know what reasons you would give as to that. Care to elaborate?

:D

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:21 pm

"coastergraham" wrote:
Rita is an ok ride and for me the 2nd best rollercoaster at Alton after the awesome Nemesis.

However when you have done Stealth and Top Thrill Dragster it does make the launch on Rita seem a bit like the monorail pulling out of the station :lol:

Is Rita not more intense than Stealth. I could've sworn it pulls more G's.

I think I was so pleasantly surprised by Rita because having already ridden Xcellerator multiple times my expectations were really low but as far as intensity goes it gave as much of a decent ride as the latter. In fact I preferred Rita's launch, the extra speeds seems to do not much more than pin you back in your seat more uncomfortably.

Jakob
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:23 pm

...The only reasons I can see that RITA was dissapointing was the placement/theming?.. Which I think ruined the ride somewhat. :(

But as a coaster experience it's brilliant in my eyes.
Fingers crossed that it gets a re-theme etc. Then I think it'll be a great coaster instead of a good one.

Matthew
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:39 pm

"Sir John Talbot" wrote:
Is Rita not more intense than Stealth. I could've sworn it pulls more G's.

According to RCDB Stealth pulls 4.5G's and Rita pulls 4.7G's. However on the inside of Stealth's onride photo wallet it says it pulls 4.8G's. :P

I personally feel that Rita is more intense and I've got a funny feeling Thorpe are lying about Stealth's 4.8G's just to make it sound better that Rita. :?: :roll:

AstroDan

Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:41 pm

I think Stealth's launch is more intense, but the circuit on Rita is reasonably intense - particularly the helix by Corkscrew's station.

going-up
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:02 pm

"Mani" wrote:
...The only reasons I can see that RITA was dissapointing was the placement/theming?.. Which I think ruined the ride somewhat. :(

But as a coaster experience it's brilliant in my eyes.
Fingers crossed that it gets a re-theme etc. Then I think it'll be a great coaster instead of a good one.

Agreed. The ride does need a retheme. Don't get me wrong its a great ride, but I just wish that the ride had some good theming.