UK theme parks from another point of view!

$t£v£
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Ever been on a ride when it broke down?

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:03 am

Has anyone ever been on a ride when its broken down?
I remember once queueing for Nemesis and watching the train travel up the lift hill and it stopped and immagined being on when that happend and thought it would be an interesting experience. After a ten more minute queue we boarded and the train was approx halfway up the hill when i heard the engine dying down and felt the train drop back a couple of inches because it hadent reached the next notch on the ratchet and it felt srange being draged back by a gigantic machine. Although i new i was safe the fear flooded through me as i sat there for a couple of minutes and was even more therrified when i heard a siren but later realised that this was just the engine being reset and the lift hill started again.
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.

plasticboy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:36 pm

I have been stuck on the Nemesis lift hill for 10mins, i have been stuck on the Oblivion lift hill for a few mins, i have ben stuck in the Spinball brake run for about 20 mins, been stuck on the flume final drop lift for about 5 mins and been stuck at the very top of the 'Big One' at BPB and been walked all the way down the steps to the bottom.

As you can see, i have got stuck on rides a hell of a lot. lol. :?

$t£v£
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:41 pm

isnt it scarier than youd imagine?

plasticboy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:45 pm

Well, i didnt find getting stuck on Nemesis, Spinball and Oblivion that scary, but deffinately gettin stuck on The Big One made me s**t myself a bit, cuz we were right at the top and that ride just dont look or feel safe! :shock:

$t£v£
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:47 pm

Thats what stops me going on.

amy
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:04 pm

ive been on the ulitmate and light water valley when it borke down. i was ont he blue train and we where halefway up the second lifthill we were sat there for about half an hour waiting for it to be started again they didn want us to have to get off as it would have been a mile to walk back!! lukily they got it working again i thort it was more strange than scarey
[size=200]Dont just imagine......live the dream

warriorman
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:57 pm

"plasticboy" wrote:
I have been stuck on the Nemesis lift hill for 10mins, i have been stuck on the Oblivion lift hill for a few mins, i have ben stuck in the Spinball brake run for about 20 mins, been stuck on the flume final drop lift for about 5 mins and been stuck at the very top of the 'Big One' at BPB and been walked all the way down the steps to the bottom.

As you can see, i have got stuck on rides a hell of a lot. lol. :?

So the moral of the story is this..... if you see plasticboy in the queue near you, get out of the queue :wink:
Newby Coaster lovers ride count

Rita =4 (1 in front)
Oblivion=1
Nemesis=2
Air =2
Ripsaw =2

plasticboy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:44 pm

So the moral of the story is this..... if you see plasticboy in the queue near you, get out of the queue

Dont mind that. I will move up the queue real quick!

Dont-Look-Down!
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:58 pm

I broke down on the flume for an hour and a half, they wouldn't even let anyone off, but I got a free season pass for thorpe park and alton towers after so, I think it was ok, apart from the annoying voice saying' no splashing' because everyone was having a water fight and climbing over the logs. Also the annoying music for an hour and a half, help me!

Soph
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:06 pm

haha ryan I remember that, breaking down on the flume was horribleee!

the music drove us nuts after a few minutes, epecially when it got jammed on
'please dont splash'

which drove people mad, so they splashed like hell :D

Nick

Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:11 pm

Nemesis was breaking down a few times the other day, was sat in the car in the station for around 10 minutes. Been stuck on Air on the hill for a few minutes

MikeB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:34 pm

The longest i have been stuck on a ride happened only yesterday on spinball. Spinball was being rather temperamental yesterday morning, it broke down when i was in the queue and then it broke down when i was mid-ride. This left us stranded on one of the mid-ride brake runs for about 5 minutes. Just for good measure it broke down for another 5 minutes on the station brake run.
Apart from that i've been fairly lucky.

DiogoJ42

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:04 am

Last sunday I saw Air get stuck at the very top of the lift, the front row was hanging head first over the drop. I can think of better ways to spend ten long, head-rush filled minutes!

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:45 pm

I got stuck on air just outside the station after we had been round for 40 mins! it is ok at first but after 40 mins it does get a little uncomfortable.

and some dumbass decided to light up a fag. (good trick getting it in the first place) then when they let us down the guy asks why u r not allowed to smoke and they say they use paraffin grease on parts of the ride cars.

Ian
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:12 pm

I've been stuck on quite a few rides before. The worst ones being stuck on Air's lifet hill for about 20 mins, stuck in pitch black Dual for a while and being stuck on Spinball's highest break run for over 30 mins! A ride op actually climed the stairs and clamed herself onto the railings and stayed with us-to ensure we were ok. When we finally got back into the station everyone in the queue line cheered and we got exit passes!

Sazzle

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:28 am

S'alright for some getting all these freebies!

Being an AA local, I think all of my breakdowns have been on their rides.

I can't count the amount of times I've been sat on Nightmare Niagara (RIP) and been stuck in the tunnel before the second lift hill - what a nightmare! I remember vividly this time when a woman and her children were in the station, and the kids didn't want to go on, but she dragged them on anyway. "Mummy I want to get off!" "Tough, you're going on!"

We stopped in the tunnel before the second lift and were stuck there for about ten to fifteen minutes before a mechanic even noticed! In the meantime, Marmar El Thicko decided to get her kids out of the boat, walk them across the side of the channel and drag them into the ride area of The Runaway Train! What a dumbass! Jesus, that mechanic guy went nuts when he saw her wandering about.

I've been stuck a fair few times on The Missile (RIP) too. Once was "oil check" great.. And the another was on the backwards lift which decided not to move.. Lurvley. I can remember a few years back when I went with some other rollercoaster enthusiasts, we got to Space Port in thunder and lightning, to find The Missile had valleyed between the last loop and the backwards lift - hahahaha! Some very soggy people stuck on there who didn't look too impressed at us laughing at them :lol:

Ahhh good old AA.. Some good memories there.. The rides are no longer :(

At the Towers I've been stuck on the Oblivion brake run for lord knows how long - I ended up on the phone to my mum in the end :-s Don't know how I managed that!

Been stuck on the Skyride for about fifteen minutes (hasn't everyone) and got all the way to the station of The Flume after waiting in terrential rain for an hour to be told it was closed indefinately.. :-| Thanks..

Apart from that I think I've been pretty lucky :mrgreen:

ukool
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:06 pm

When i went to alton towers 4 years ago oblivion got stuck right at the top, me and my dad saw it happen and decided not to go on the ride

Lauzi
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:36 pm

Well apart from the obvious *cough*Skyride*Cough* I've only ever been stuck on air but I've been stuck on it twice both times for about 3 mins on the lifthill my friend panicked like mad - I was like 'Shut up!!!' We were about 10 inches off the ground :roll:

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:39 pm

Ive only ever been on rides like The Haunted Mansion and other dark rides when they have broke down. Nothing too exciting! :)

Oh and never any AT ride. (what i can remember anyway)
Last edited by Adam on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Lozza
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:40 pm

i've never really been stuck on any rides...i suppose i was stuck on duel for about 2 mins when it first opened but i think that is it. when i went in june air broke down at the top of the lift hill for ages- the ride op even went up to check on everyone. since it was school trip season a few of the kids were stuck on the ride....we later saw a teacher frantically running round as they obviously wanted the coach to leave but couldn't!

:mrgreen:
:D