UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2634
Joined: June 2011
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:54 am

Chris wrote:
The tent won't come down until permission has been granted, the current detirmination date for the demolition planning application is the 14th of Feb.

Can't see anything happening until after Feb half term.


I agree, I think they should leave it until the first piece of marketing goes up, or after some marketing on the tent settles in. By summer we should see some developments.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.
 
AdrenalineAlex

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:36 am

Just throwing it out there, the worlds first element will be the worlds first inverting spinning coaster that is launched from the station but does the proclaimed layout in reverse. It will be designed by Maurer.  :twisted:  :P

But anyway, with the theming elements, I'm hoping, I think I may have posted something already similar, that riders are all proclaimed to be scientists for a government experiment and the indoor section will be the experiment going horrendously wrong and will supposedly launch (as a gradual speed) into the first hill. Maybe anyway, not sure! That's why I'd like to see anyway. Like the Incredible Hulk in the tunnel which then leads to the launch into the barrel roll when the experiment goes wrong :)
 
sibic
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 72
Joined: October 2009

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

AstroDan wrote:
Ryan, those rides do not get those kind of throughputs. They are theoretical but not actual.

The main coasters achieve roughly
Nemesis 1300
Air 1200
Rita 1040
Thirteen 1300
Oblivion 1400

nemesis air and oblivion all can move more people then stated if they had a pre ride bag drop. it one of the things that make lines shorter.
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
 
Big Dave

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Yes and if they had a much better single rider system in place. Nemesis is on the wrong side of the station and Air can only really run single rider on one station despite their attempts of putting odd numbers on one side and even on the other. Which doesnt work may I add!!!
 
User avatar
bilvy man
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 38
Joined: November 2011

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Hey guys, I've been a bit of a lurker for the past few weeks with the odd comment but I've decided to post my views.

This has POETENTIAL to be as good as Nemesis and Oblivion, if the use what they have correctly and make sure it's something to do with the real X-Sector and dont do another 13-eeny thing. They usually make it sound proper scary and then it's not, they need to listen to what the people want not what they think the people want.

I'm expecting brilliance but also buying an Oblivion fast pass just in case I need a un-reality check after sw7.
Last edited by bilvy man on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Blaze

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:09 pm

bilvy man wrote:
dont do another 13-eeny thing and make it sound propper scary and then its not,they need to listen to what the people want not what they think the people want.

If they can over-market a ride with minimum eight inversions and one or two possible launches, and aim the marketing at a much more mature audience than the ride is for, they deserve an award. :P

They can't really overmarket it as a thrill ride when it is very much one to strat with.

And we've all been crying out for something that packs inversions and thrills, so this is very much what the people want.

:)
 
User avatar
djtintin1
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 16
Joined: September 2009
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:12 pm

daveslodge wrote:
Charlee wrote:
How about its the worlds first roller coaster to duel with itself? Or has that been done somewhere before? Even if its a Gerstlauer, Maurer or Intamin, I'm gonna ride it, and I'm gonna love it, hopefully.


Surely Grand National is classed as a coaster that duels with itself!

It is however a great concept...but whether the ride will duel with itself with exact timings or not, I think with a complex blocking system in place this ride is going to look pretty epic with a number of cars flying through the track at any one time.


I used to work on Grand National at BPB. The ride is classed as one ride and not 2, both trains are despatched at the same time from the one control. I hope this clears this up for you.
 
Big Dave

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Blaze wrote:
bilvy man wrote:
dont do another 13-eeny thing and make it sound propper scary and then its not,they need to listen to what the people want not what they think the people want.

If they can over-market a ride with minimum eight inversions and one or two possible launches, and aim the marketing at a much more mature audience than the ride is for, they deserve an award. :P

They can't really overmarket it as a thrill ride when it is very much one to strat with.

And we've all been crying out for something that packs inversions and thrills, so this is very much what the people want.

:)



No but they can market it as the worlds first, family friendly 8 inversion, 2 launches coaster :P
 
User avatar
djtintin1
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 16
Joined: September 2009
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Big Dave wrote:
Blaze wrote:
bilvy man wrote:
dont do another 13-eeny thing and make it sound propper scary and then its not,they need to listen to what the people want not what they think the people want.

If they can over-market a ride with minimum eight inversions and one or two possible launches, and aim the marketing at a much more mature audience than the ride is for, they deserve an award. :P

They can't really overmarket it as a thrill ride when it is very much one to strat with.

And we've all been crying out for something that packs inversions and thrills, so this is very much what the people want.

:)



No but they can market it as the worlds first, family friendly 8 inversion, 2 launches coaster :P


But Cheetah at Busch Gardens Tampa has 3 Launches.
 
Big Dave

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah but it doesn't invert too much and Its not really a "family coaster".
 
Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 245
Joined: September 2011
Location: Warwickshire

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Skumfidus wrote:
I am really finding this topic tedious and a bit ridiculous!

1.The planning documents submitted state that this ride is a Gerstlauer. Never in the history of my dealing with these applications has this been wrong. The 'beyond vertical drop' statement is obviously referring to SAW, not SW7


No where on the document does it use the word  Gerstlauer, I would love someone to quote it from any planning permission document, because that would put an end to it.

Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park.  The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.


The fact is this a public document, they didn't have to specify what ride they were comparing it against, they might have well as said an existing ride at thorpe park or any park for that matter and got the data else where.  I hardlt consider it a secret weapon when the the game is given away from the get go.

Maybe I'm just digging and hoping it will be a bit more exciting not know what it is untill it's built.  I'm personally convinced it's a Eurofighter, simply from the layout, nothing else.  But I'm certainly not posting on here with my fingers in my ears.

I really don't see the problem with people openly guessing what it is, I mean this is an enthusiast forum right, what  else are you expecting.
 
Blaze

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Vladimir Bobinski wrote:
Skumfidus wrote:
I am really finding this topic tedious and a bit ridiculous!

1.The planning documents submitted state that this ride is a Gerstlauer. Never in the history of my dealing with these applications has this been wrong. The 'beyond vertical drop' statement is obviously referring to SAW, not SW7


No where on the document does it use the word  Gerstlauer, I would love someone to quote it from any planning permission document, because that would put an end to it.

Noise from the planned new coaster was modelled based on a similar one located at Thorpe Park.  The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same type and manufacturer as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.


The fact is this a public document, they didn't have to specify what ride they were comparing it against, they might have well as said an existing ride at thorpe park or any park for that matter and got the data else where.  I hardlt consider it a secret weapon when the the game is given away from the get go.

Maybe I'm just digging and hoping it will be a bit more exciting not know what it is untill it's built.  I'm personally convinced it's a Eurofighter, simply from the layout, nothing else.  But I'm certainly not posting on here with my fingers in my ears.

I really don't see the problem with people openly guessing what it is, I mean this is an enthusiast forum right, what  else are you expecting.

It says the same manufacturer as Saw. Case closed. If that and the layout wasn't enough, the shaping, support style, heartline, the length of the two halfs and the track being the same as Intamin all give it away

You do realise 'Secret Weapon' doesn't mean 'secret' at all? Or do you not count Air and Thirteen as SWs? All it means is a major coaster with some sort of USP. With the internet, they'll never be able to keep the layout of such a major coaster quiet. This is just as much a Secret Weapon as any other.
 
Lotte
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 173
Joined: May 2009

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:57 pm

  The Thorpe Park ride, “Saw” is the same TYPE AND MANUFACTURER as the proposed ride, including a “beyond vertical” drop.

Look at the comma after ride. It is more than obvious that they are talking abot saw when mentioning beyond verticle drop with this punctuation mark.

A comma is used to separate parts of a sentence so without it being there it would mean that the proposed ride at Alton would include a beyond verticle drop.
Image
 
CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2884
Joined: July 2008
Location: Bristol

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:57 pm

The 'Secret Weapon' is practically reinvented with every new coaster anyway.

Oblivion is what we all seem to consider the 'textbook' definition of the Secret Weapon - a highly thrilling world's first ride which is kept entirely secret right up until the very last minute.

But Oblivion was the only SW which demonstrated this out of the four we have seen so far.

Nemesis was only a European first and even though it was kept a secret there was no real need to because the park didnt really have any followers back then. So, really there was nobody to hide the ride from, and as the internet didn't exist as we know it not even the plans were public.

Oblivion defined the secret weapon with a world's first element kept entirely secret.

Air was also a secret weapon but the park were open from the start about what they were building - removing the secretive aspect.

Rita's exclusion from the Secret Weapon series was perhaps one of the most important developments in our perceptions of the SW - that it must be a very special ride with a unique feature as oppose to just a thrill coaster. In actual fact the patk just wanted to move away from how they did things in the 1990s.

Thirteen loked set to try and emulate Oblivion's success - as a world's first ride where the secret element is not revealed until the last minute. However, the revelation that this would be a family ride really enlargened the type of ride Secret Weapon could encompass.  Also, the failure of trying to keep the world first element a real secret will perhaps mean the park will be more open about the special feature of SW's.

SW7 appears to have no real uniqueness at all, it is just a rollercoaster with many inversions and a duelling track. Effectively just a solid thrill ride. But there is always a chance the station building, track or cars could hold a special secret.

:)
 
Chris W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3328
Joined: July 2007
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:00 pm

I have no insider knowledge or anything but I really do believe something which we aren't expecting could happen within the building :)
Image
Image
 
User avatar
bilvy man
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 38
Joined: November 2011

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:01 pm

hey guys, just thought that surely the manufacturer would have been settled by now,it just so obvious. and the world first thing is already sussed (i think) so really it should be covosation closed just the theaming to think about now so how have we made nearly 600 posts out of this in just over a week, it's baffling
 
User avatar
bilvy man
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 38
Joined: November 2011

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Chris wrote:
I have no insider knowledge or anything but I really do believe something which we aren't expecting could happen within the building :)


are you sure you have no insider knowlage (wink)
 
Chris W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3328
Joined: July 2007
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:06 pm

bilvy man wrote:
Chris wrote:
I have no insider knowledge or anything but I really do believe something which we aren't expecting could happen within the building :)


are you sure you have no insider knowlage (wink)


Genuinly don't :P

It's just a hunch that something interesting could happen within the building. They need to spend the £20 million on something.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
JoshC
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 195
Joined: September 2010
Location: Someplace, Somewhere

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Chris wrote:
They need to spend the £20 million on something.


Maybe some good theming for once? :P
Image
 
Blaze

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:12 pm

I guess a lot depends on when they put the rest of the documents up and we see what the inside is like. I'm expecting some short dark ride section similar to Saw. A sharp drop and/or a barrell roll would be very nice.

Like Chris says, I reckon there's going to be something important before the outdoor section.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests