UK theme parks from another point of view!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:21 pm

I am slightly worried about the theming of this ride.

I know its far to early down the line to speculate properly about it beause we havn't see a single concept yet asides from a few colour schemes, but the plans don't suggest we will see an exceptionally themed ride at all.

Air, Nemesis and Runaway Mine Train could afford to get away without large amounts of theming due to exceptional interaction with the landcsaping. Oblivion isn't a conventional coaster so the focus for theming was on the drop zone and queue line entirely. Rita and Spinball are regarded as as huge dissappointments thematically.

Large amounts of SW7 will not interact with the landcaping it will just rest on flat/sloping ground - will it not look sparse with just masses of grey supports rising from the grass or paving? Aside from the station, there are only two theming set pieces in the ride area. Certainly nowhere near as much as SAW or The Swarm. I can appreciate though that a lot of the theming details dont need planning permission.

:)
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blaze

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 pm

There's the two large pieces, plus we haven't seen the building properly on the outside, let alone the inside. Lots of theming items won't need to be shown, plus there's a lot more to the quality of theming than just the amount of objects lying around it.

djtintin1
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Big Dave wrote:
Yeah but it doesn't invert too much and Its not really a "family coaster".

I wouldnt class SW7 a family coaster with all those elements though

Big Dave

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 pm

You really dont get what we were on about do you. I was taking the biscuit, joking, about Th13teen's marketing. Read the post again and you will see
Last edited by Big Dave on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordOfDarkness
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:48 pm

I hope they do keep the whole SW aspect, Of something new, big & exciting.

I do like the idea of the surprise in the building... Filling the gaping whole of TH13TEEN's surprise...

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport

Big Dave

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:51 pm

We've had a vertical drop (aka Th13teen), how about a vertical launch (Th13teen but upwards!)

LordOfDarkness
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:01 pm

Big Dave wrote:
We've had a vertical drop (aka Th13teen), how about a vertical launch (Th13teen but upwards!)

It could be proper RCT3 esque! A redeveloped version of the tilting coaster... Seems feasible seeing as John Wardley was on the design team for RCT3
Last edited by LordOfDarkness on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamRyan ~ @SamRyanSport

Lotte
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:05 pm

So was wondering where the pics i put up of swarm testing went to ?

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Lotte wrote:

They were moved to the Swarm topic, because this topic isn't about The Swarm.

Lotte
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Chris wrote:
Lotte wrote:

They were moved to the Swarm topic, because this topic isn't about The Swarm.

Lol @ me...Thanks

Skumfidus

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Blaze wrote:
I guess a lot depends on when they put the rest of the documents up and we see what the inside is like.

Do you think we'll be seeing any more documents? They only need planning permission for the buildings as they are taller then what is normally allowed in that area, and as such are visible from outside the park - the interior of the buildings and everything else in the area is Alton Towers own business I believe. They've already revealed far much more than they needed to when showing the track layout!

For all we know the whole coaster could be weaving in and out of a 8m tall warehouse - they wouldn't have to show us or Staffs Moorlands.

djtruefitt

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:08 pm

In the plans they do state that there are more plans to come which will show some of the features in more detail (e.g station), and these will be submitted before the plans are accepted or rejected.

Skumfidus

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 am

djtruefitt wrote:
In the plans they do state that there are more plans to come which will show some of the features in more detail (e.g station), and these will be submitted before the plans are accepted or rejected.

Pretty sure they will only be elevations though, nothing inside the buildings...which is not a lot more than what we have now!

Brett
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:31 am

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but the more circular part of the station build, would this possibly be a little tribute to the black hole tent? maybe even use part of it or made to look like?

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 am

Brett wrote:
Not sure if this has been suggested before, but the more circular part of the station build, would this possibly be a little tribute to the black hole tent? maybe even use part of it or made to look like?

It's probably more to do with the fact the other structures in X-Sector are circular such as the bunker and tower in Oblivion's queue as well as the Rehydrator.  I would imagine they will want to create a similar style to fit with the rest of the area.

I think it's important though to differentiate this ride from Oblivion in some way in terms of theming to make it individual, but still linking them together somehow. I was going to say like Nemesis and Air in Forbidden Valley - but that would be a bad example! More like how the rapids and RMT tie in with each other thematically whilst still being distinctly different.

I think the worry is that we might end up with another Dark Forest, Forbidden Valley or Mutiny Bay situation where we have major theming clashes. Clearly in the past the park have not managed to successfully integrate two coasters in the same area properly.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Just wondering, who made Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit? Because the vertical lift with no vertical drop reminds me of that...

.Will

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm

dominoes wrote:
Just wondering, who made Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit? Because the vertical lift with no vertical drop reminds me of that...

Maurer Söhne.

If you are looking for information on any coaster it can be found here.

Matthew144

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi all this is my first post go easy on me!
I have read this subject with interest as I live quite close (6 Miles away) and like you all i'm interested in the latest developments at the park.
Just to add my 5 pence worth after looking at the plans I think there my be a something that your all missing, the plans show a "Maintenance Building" but if i remenber right this is what the drop on Thirteens plans was also called so could be something different!

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Matthew144 wrote:
Hi all this is my first post go easy on me!
I have read this subject with interest as I live quite close (6 Miles away) and like you all i'm interested in the latest developments at the park.
Just to add my 5 pence worth after looking at the plans I think there my be a something that your all missing, the plans show a "Maintenance Building" but if i remenber right this is what the drop on Thirteens plans was also called so could be something different!

Good point there actually, and welcome! I've just had a look at the plans and on some of them the crypt is just labelled 'maintainance area' along with the actual shed, but on other plans they're both listed as 'maintainance and ride area'. Although, if I remember correctly the area labelled as the maintainance area on the SW7 plans has a seperate opening to the route the track would seem to take?

Blaze

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 pm

The SW7 maintainance area isn't connected to the main track.

We still haven't seen the building layout plans yet, remember, so we don't know what's going on in there.