UK theme parks from another point of view!

Matthew144

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:19 pm

the son on the hole wrote:
Blaze wrote:
havn't posted much for long but loving reading the speculation, my world first idea is the worlds first twisting ride,dont know if its been done but at the top of the vertical lift hill the train twists and does a beyond vertical drop backwards and the rest of the track,seeing as the rollercoaster plans are jumps for compleatness there could be one

Um, considering there's no beyond-vertical track on the ride, that's going to be pretty difficult

Thats why I said seening as the rollercoaster plans are for compleatness there might still be one they didnt show in the plans

The outside plans are as they will be unless they go back to the council for approval for an amendment, possible but unlikely as it would delay it more, and I don't want to tell anyone how to suck eggs but to complete this for next March they will have started making the track by now.
More likely is a beyond vertical drop inside the building, having looked again at the plans there appears to be room for a 180 bend to the left after loading and then an incline up a few metres and a drop which has been stated on here before could be steeper than 121 degrees to take the title of steepest in the world, this would then bank to the left under the loading area and out under the maintenance area ready for the first incline outside.

Neuros
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:45 pm

I am rather interested in theme Piece A. Since on the plans, the theme object intersects the track (Aka goes through it) I wonder if it will move. If the pieces of track are attached to theme piece A, maybe the train will brake on one of these sections of track and get flung around like on a Huss Jump2 ride. I know I have no backing evidence for this but, it's just a thought...
Plugger and proud

Blaze

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Matthew144 wrote:
Blaze wrote:
havn't posted much for long but loving reading the speculation, my world first idea is the worlds first twisting ride,dont know if its been done but at the top of the vertical lift hill the train twists and does a beyond vertical drop backwards and the rest of the track,seeing as the rollercoaster plans are jumps for compleatness there could be one

Um, considering there's no beyond-vertical track on the ride, that's going to be pretty difficult

Thats why I said seening as the rollercoaster plans are for compleatness there might still be one they didnt show in the plans

The outside plans are as they will be unless they go back to the council for approval for an amendment, possible but unlikely as it would delay it more, and I don't want to tell anyone how to suck eggs but to complete this for next March they will have started making the track by now.
More likely is a beyond vertical drop inside the building, having looked again at the plans there appears to be room for a 180 bend to the left after loading and then an incline up a few metres and a drop which has been stated on here before could be steeper than 121 degrees to take the title of steepest in the world, this would then bank to the left under the loading area and out under the maintenance area ready for the first incline outside.

There's no way of fitting anything that steep in there. If anything it will be similar to Saw's indoor drop. I'd rather squeeze in another barrel roll like Saw and Takubisha (spelling?) that take the drop record. Breaking a record like that would be shouted about, but they can't really shout about a tiny drop no one can see. There'll probably be a sharp drop, but nothing record breaking.

Neuros wrote:
I am rather interested in theme Piece A. Since on the plans, the theme object intersects the track (Aka goes through it) I wonder if it will move. If the pieces of track are attached to theme piece A, maybe the train will brake on one of these sections of track and get flung around like on a Huss Jump2 ride. I know I have no backing evidence for this but, it's just a thought...

How would it finish the course if it stopped half way round? That and the track is not connected and as far as I can tell the legs are firmly rooted to the ground.

Matthew144

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Blaze wrote:

There's no way of fitting anything that steep in there. If anything it will be similar to Saw's indoor drop. I'd rather squeeze in another barrel roll like Saw and Takubisha (spelling?) that take the drop record. Breaking a record like that would be shouted about, but they can't really shout about a tiny drop no one can see. There'll probably be a sharp drop, but nothing record breaking.

It would fit if they dig down far enough, look I don't this will happen but other people made comments about being under ground and worlds steepest. I'm just suggesting how it could be done.
I too think this will be like saw and takubisha with the extra roll as is more or less standard with Gerstlauer, but then that only really leaves a new car type for the worlds first element, unless there going to claim the interlocking cobras.
Remember this is a £20 million investment, I don't think ATR will want to claim something shyster for the worlds first.

Benjsh

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:26 pm

You mean like the world's first psycho-coaster, Thirteen ???

People are expecting too much once again I reckon. I'm fully confident that SW7 will be MUCH better than Thirteen and a great ride but the world's first bit will be nothing more than a cheap gimmick that people will soon forget about.

The ride / theme being top notch are far more important than a world's first element.

smudge.
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Benjsh wrote:

People are expecting too much once again I reckon. I'm fully confident that SW7 will be MUCH better than Thirteen and a great ride but the world's first bit will be nothing more than a cheap gimmick that people will soon forget about.

The ride / theme being top notch are far more important than a world's first element.

I agree with how the worlds 1st element isn't important, but Th13teen's worlds fist isn't a gimmick? it the Only thing that makes the ride even bearable. Its what is the main part of a ride? And no-one can forget that 'bit' can they?

I would rather no 'worlds first' sh*te, and just to market the ride as what it is  - what about worlds first self-dueling coaster? (not sure how true that would be) but something simple & a 'does what it says on the tin' attitude...

Benjsh

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:58 pm

smudge. wrote:
Benjsh wrote:

I agree with how the worlds 1st element isn't important, but Th13teen's worlds fist isn't a gimmick? it the Only thing that makes the ride even bearable. Its what is the main part of a ride? And no-one can forget that 'bit' can they?

I would rather no 'worlds first' sh*te, and just to market the ride as what it is  - what about worlds first self-dueling coaster? (not sure how true that would be) but something simple & a 'does what it says on the tin' attitude...

Merlin's marketing department is absolutely genius. They continue to upsell pretty mediocre rides by their own standards and yet still get people through the gates year after year. Kudos to them for that.

I, however, like most on here don't buy any of their propaganda and continue to visit the park for attractions that have been there for well over a decade now. Its the older rides that make me go back year after year not the new ones.

It's actually been a while since I was blown away by a new ride at Alton Towers. Probably as far back as Air.

Blaze

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:09 pm

100 pages. Wow.

To be fair to the marketing, they're learning. With a ride like this, they won't even need to try. Which is fortunate.

Nemesis94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Blaze wrote:
100 pages. Wow.

To be fair to the marketing, they're learning. With a ride like this, they won't even need to try. Which is fortunate.

I still wouldn't put it past them to do some stupid stunt. How about this: "Rollercoaster tester passes out on new ride. Alton Towers fear ride may be too extreme..."
See my No Limits recreation of SW7 (filmed by JAMMYD777) at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOFUNyo-MKY

Blaze

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh yes, that's par for the course these days/ There's also be a Z-list celebrity tie-in, but they won't need to go to the lengths they did with Thirteen.

CakeMan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Here's how I see it. Nemesis Sub-Terra, although I will state outright I have not ridden or even seen, has the general consensus that the ride element is bad but the overall theming is pretty decent as is the tie in to the story. Therefore, with SW7, a ride we know is going to be pretty great, surely all worries of theming and story be gone?

swfcjambo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 am

Nemesis94 wrote:
Blaze wrote:
100 pages. Wow.

I still wouldn't put it past them to do some stupid stunt. How about this: "Rollercoaster tester passes out on new ride. Alton Towers fear ride may be too extreme..."

Like The Swarm and their dummies returning with missing limbs......

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 am

PR stunts are a given with Merlin. In fact they are with just about every single large company launching a new product. People see straight through advertorials in the press these days, and so the only way they can convince the press to print an article on their new attraction is through a silly PR stunt that makes interesting 'news'.

Such as the missing limbs on the Swarm and the 12A rating on Sub-Terra and the waiver signing on Th13teen and the... etc
ImageImage

smudge.
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:27 pm

CakeMan wrote:
Here's how I see it. Nemesis Sub-Terra, although I will state outright I have not ridden or even seen, has the general consensus that the ride element is bad but the overall theming is pretty decent as is the tie in to the story. Therefore, with SW7, a ride we know is going to be pretty great, surely all worries of theming and story be gone?

Well IMO yes! I mean if for example, on sub terra, instead of boarding 4x extremis clones, you boarded a 8+ inversion roller coaster with two lift hills & an indoor section, would we think it is a great ride? probably yes.

GoldWolf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Benjsh wrote:
smudge. wrote:
Benjsh wrote:

Merlin's marketing department is absolutely genius. They continue to upsell pretty mediocre rides by their own standards and yet still get people through the gates year after year. Kudos to them for that.

I, however, like most on here don't buy any of their propaganda and continue to visit the park for attractions that have been there for well over a decade now. Its the older rides that make me go back year after year not the new ones.

It's actually been a while since I was blown away by a new ride at Alton Towers. Probably as far back as Air.

I actually believe that it's the other way round! Yes the rides haven't been top-notch, but in the long-term, the marketing team are having a dramatic effect on ticket sales. I know too many of the GP that were going to Alton Towers this year to ride Nemesis: Sub Terra, but they aren't now because of bad reviews. This was all down to the hype of both Alton and people.

As to SW7, I personally don't see how the marketing team could possibly upspell the ride looking at the plans (obviously I wouldn't rule anything out  :P ) But we're yet to see, it's very early on for Merlin to be thinking about marketing.  :)

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:02 pm

Benjsh wrote:

Thirteen was the worlds first freefall vertical drop - the psycho-coaster was just some PR bull as with the signing waivers.  Looking at the plans for this, its going to be a major "white knuckle" ride and not a family thrill like Thirteen.

I reckon it will be something of substance like Nemesis and Oblivion.

wburgess
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Looking at the plans, this coaster obviously (hopefully!) won't need a worlds first to be successful.

A worlds first will be a plus, as long as it doesn't end up being trivial and just a technicality. The public won't care, but it would cause havoc on here!!!

jonnyfingers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Not really new news, but possibly a bit of a confirmation of the ride manufacturer. I was chatting with some of the Thorpe Park area managers in the Thrill Workshop in Thorpe today and mentioned SW7, to which they said "yeah, the Gertslauer one." Now they might not know much about Alton Towers plans but this guy was one of the main people in the know for Swarm so might be in the know for SW7 to some extent.

Interestingly he also mentioned a three-coaster multi-park deal with B&M. Not sure if Swarm is the first in that deal, possibly Krake might have been number 1 with Swarm number 2. Also not sure where number 3 is going yet, possibly a wing rider at Heide Park.

JoshC
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:42 pm

The three-coaster deal would have been Krake, Raptor and Swarm, and I'm sure the manager just said 'the Gerstlauer one' because in the plans it says it's the same manufacturer as Saw, which we've all known for a while :P

jonnyfingers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 pm

JoshC wrote:
The three-coaster deal would have been Krake, Raptor and Swarm, and I'm sure the manager just said 'the Gerstlauer one' because in the plans it says it's the same manufacturer as Saw, which we've all known for a while :P

Yeah pretty much agree with you. But I suppose it shows if there is any doubt about the manufacturer nobody at Thorpe park knows about it! :D

As for the three-coaster deal I got the impression that there was one more to come but what you said makes sense.