UK theme parks from another point of view!

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 pm

I expect something to happen in the station.  Maybe the car will stop and a scene will play out (bit like saw) then car will be ejected out towards the lift hill. The way the track goes into the station one way and comes out another is intriguing.

Be pretty wild if the cars came out in reverse for the first half of the ride then turned around somehow for the 2nd half. Maybe thats why the first lift isn't vertical so people aren't hanging upside down while they're lifted to a height.

Wonder if we'll see another tire lift like Th13teen or if it will be a standard chain lift?

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:40 pm

I'd have thought the vertical lift would be a chain lift, I can't imagine a tyre driven lift would be able to cope with a vertical incline.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Coaster_Dude wrote:
I'd have thought the vertical lift would be a chain lift, I can't imagine a tyre driven lift would be able to cope with a vertical incline.

Yeah obviously for the vertial one.

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:05 pm

has anyone thought if it could be the same(ish) seats to furius Baco at portaventure,I know there not the same manufacturer but from looking at POV's if gerstlaurer could do trains like it it could work.

p.s stupid question but how do you pronounce gerstlaurer

Blaze

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Wingrider seats? Probably not, the elements don't seem right for a wingrider, it's a bit of a waste, plus some of the near misses look a bit close, and on the plans, if they're accurate, the heartlining is for a standard sitdown ride, and it doesn't make much sense to have the seats are still above the track as well as the side like that.

And I think it's "Gerst-l-aou-er"

:)

RyanY
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 pm

This video might help with pronouncing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE1rMIYz ... ure=relmfu

Robb has an interview with Gerstlaurer.

Also it shows that they like using Lap bars.
Last edited by RyanY on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NastyPasty
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:03 pm

World Inversion Record? Please.

Seriously, the "world's first" feature will be something to do with the cars. Whoever suggested the wingrider, no. The track isn't suitable and it would be totally impractical. Just be happy we have a multi-inverting beast. Pretending it's something revolutionary will lead to disappointment; Alton lack a real coaster, and that's what we're getting. No gimmicks, just a solid thrill machine.
Keep on whistlin', folks.

JoshC.
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:43 pm

I really don't think a most inversion record is on the cards.  We can see 8 on the outside, and they could possibly squeeze 1 or 2 (at a push) inside; even if they make slight changes, I just can't see them reaching 12-14 inversions..

The vertical launch idea being put around as well just seems like a no as well; for it to actually be comfortable enough to be worthwhile, it would have to go over the top of the vertical tower rather slowly, which in turn would mean a slow launch - and the point in that would be..? 

The world first of the coaster doesn't really bother me that much; I'm much more interested in what's gonna go on inside!
Who is Lez Cougan?
I am Lez Cougan.
We are Lez Cougan.

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:34 am

I'm thinking completely outside the box here and know this is the least likely option for the world first, but...

If done right, I'd love to see a coaster which somehow included augmented reality. Each rider straps on some glasses while you're on the ride and there's some kind of invasion going on around the track as you ride it.

Unlikely, but would be cool.

Bear

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

adsyrah wrote:
If done right, I'd love to see a coaster which somehow included augmented reality. Each rider straps on some glasses while you're on the ride and there's some kind of invasion going on around the track as you ride it.

I'm not sure folks with fragile stomachs would appreciate that because of the bigger risk of motion sickness, especially when it's a long coaster with 8 inversions!

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Amazingly, that's already been done on Galaxie Express at Space Center, Germany:

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

^ That bloke in the photo looks like he's about to spew!

Galaxie Express seems more like a simulator on a track than augmented reality, which is where you can still see the real physical world but there are computer-generated elements overlayed into it.

As mentioned, it's not going to be SW7, but would be something I can see happening within the next decade or two.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 pm

I'd suggested that idea in the SW7 thread, before we knew any details about the development:

Could this 'world first' just be something simple. Rather than it actually providing the thrill, it could just be an enhancer? Maybe the worlds first coaster trains with built in 3D headsets connected to the seats that provide an augmented reality? Maybe trains that have pyrotechnics, water jets, audio, lighting and sound effects that go off at certain points (that might cost Merlin a bit too much in the long run actually)? That could all be the worlds first roller coaster with a 4D cinema experience too?

I think the concept would work better for a dark coaster that's perhaps powered rather than a large thrill coaster, so as to a) not disorientate the rider too much and b) so that the glasses/goggles don't fall off and maim somebody whilst the ride is in motion. :lol:
Last edited by BigAl on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibic
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:14 pm

BigAl wrote:
I'd suggested that idea in the SW7 thread, before we knew any details about the development:

Could this 'world first' just be something simple. Rather than it actually providing the thrill, it could just be an enhancer? Maybe the worlds first coaster trains with built in 3D headsets connected to the seats that provide an augmented reality? Maybe trains that have pyrotechnics, water jets, audio, lighting and sound effects that go off at certain points (that might cost Merlin a bit too much in the long run actually)? That could all be the worlds first roller coaster with a 4D cinema experience too?

I think the concept would work better for a dark coaster that's perhaps powered rather than a large thrill coaster, so as to a) not disorientate the rider too much and b) so that the glasses/goggles don't fall off and maim somebody whilst the ride is in motion. :lol:

its a little bit like what Universal is doing with their new Harry Potter ride part coaster and part simulate

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:22 pm

^ a little bit like that, yeah.

But what makes augmented reality work (and I disagree, BigAl, I think it'd have to be done outside) is that you're taking the real world and adding elements to it.

This Youtube video shows you what I mean - adding random animals / objects / monsters to the world, rather than creating a simlator.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:33 pm

It could be either, but seeing things close-up would work in a darker environment where the light from the display won't have to compete with natural light. But I doubt SW7 will get anything like this anyway. Probably for good reason too. :lol:

adsyrah
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm

BigAl wrote:
It could be either, but seeing things close-up would work in a darker environment where the light from the display won't have to compete with natural light. But I doubt SW7 will get anything like this anyway. Probably for good reason too. :lol:

Agreed, was just thinking out loud.

In theory it'd be great, but the reality is that it's just far too much with current technology!

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:06 pm

NastyPasty wrote:
World Inversion Record? Please.

Seriously, the "world's first" feature will be something to do with the cars. Whoever suggested the wingrider, no. The track isn't suitable and it would be totally impractical. Just be happy we have a multi-inverting beast. Pretending it's something revolutionary will lead to disappointment; Alton lack a real coaster, and that's what we're getting. No gimmicks, just a solid thrill machine.
Nobody has said they are not happy with the ride. In fact, everyone is thrilled with this multi-inverting 'beast'

We are simply just discussing possibilities for the worlds first element which we know will take place. So it is fair for us as a userbase to debate it. No need to be rude about it...

I agree though that it shouldn't be a gimmick. But either way, the ride doesn't seem like it will be relying on it so it hopefully won't ruin the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Although I'm probably wrong, could the world first be something to do with the TVs on the central themeing element?

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Hey N3m3s1s

The tvs could have somthing to do with it im not that sure though I always thought they were some sort of Pre-Show?!