UK theme parks from another point of view!

PeteMadden

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:10 pm

The Moon wrote:
It, unlike SW7, has no target audience. Too scary for young kids and not thrilling enough for teens and adults. It flopped in my eyes. But SW7 is thrill orientated and can be marketed as such.

Exactly what I've always thought. To be fair to it though, every time you visit Alton you usually do it once.

Thom
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 pm

The Moon wrote:
It, unlike SW7, has no target audience. Too scary for young kids and not thrilling enough for teens and adults. It flopped in my eyes. But SW7 is thrill orientated and can be marketed as such.

I disagree with that point really. That was possibly true during the TV advert & marketing (but lets not start talking about all that..  :P) but if you ride Thirteen nowadays I see children as young as 7 or 8 having a good time laughing as they come out of the tunnel and plenty of adults letting out a shout and a scream during the drop too...

Excluding Flume/Rapids and possibly Runaway Mine Train, I think there's a good argument that Thirteen is the broadest appealing ride in the park...

Going back to SW7 though, it's without a doubt that it will be thrill-seeker marketed through and through. But that's not to say that it will be limited to adrenaline junkies only though, they'll no doubt be a great deal of Blue Peter/GMTV presenters filmed riding it...
Last edited by Thom on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteMadden

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Thom wrote:
The Moon wrote:

I disagree with that point really. That was possibly true during the TV advert & marketing (but lets not start talking about all that..  :P) but if you ride Thirteen nowadays I see children as young as 7 or 8 having a good time laughing as they come out of the tunnel and plenty of adults letting out a shout and a scream during the drop too...

Excluding Flume/Rapids and possibly Runaway Mine Train, I think there's a good argument that Thirteen is the broadest appealing ride in the park...

I don't know, I think every time I've been in the queue for TH13TEEN it's been a complete mix of age groups. I wouldn't necessarily say no young children going on it, but to be fair I think there's a large proportion that choose not to. I certainly don't believe SW7 should be by any means a family ride, it should be thrilling. If TH13TEEN is a family ride, do we really need another so soon?

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:56 pm

The Moon wrote:

Another reason I disagree with this (to add to what everyone else has said) is that not every ride has to be scary. There are lots of rides that are just fun, but still pull a large adult audience. For example, the Runaway Mine Train. And you can see by the queues, on Th13teen, it obviously wasn't a flop. It may seem to be for an enthusiast, who saw every single little bit of rubbish that was spouted about age limits etc, but most people didn't.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:18 pm

It certainly works, yes. But it flopped to me, and I was in the USA for all the marketing junk. I have visited and ridden with over a dozen people who came off and simply told me they didn't get it. They (and I too) compared it to X/:NWO, but expensive. It doesn't make sense. Perhaps I have been spoiled by the US coasters.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm sure that the track layout ie. lack of thrills is to do with the lightweight cars that have to be used because of the drop, also the cost was due to it being a prototype.
I quite like it because with the lack of a kiddie coaster, other that the RMT it's the only coaster I can go on with my daughter.
I guess they are trying to vary the offering and lets be honest it's better than a knackered corkie.
I WILL be back

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:07 pm

I just feel 15mil is steep for what it is, but yes, better than a Vekoma POS.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 pm

I agree £15mil is very steep but goes to show how prices have gone up, SW7 is a £20mil project but has a lot more track on the outside so doesn't leave a lot for any trickery inside the building.
I WILL be back

mezza
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am

The Moon wrote:

Thirteen is a family coaster - something that kids and adults can go on together.  Intamin call it a family drop coaster.
Last edited by mezza on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:15 am

But it's an evil phsycoaster muahahaha!!! And it's too scary for under 12's muahahaha!!!

Theming a family ride around superstition and 'dark' things is just silly...

Toke up...

PeteMadden

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

The Moon wrote:
But it's an evil phsycoaster muahahaha!!! And it's too scary for under 12's muahahaha!!!

Theming a family ride around superstition and 'dark' things is just silly...

True, they did have a post-watershed advert for a family ride, that doesn't seem so child friendly...

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:34 pm

^ I remember when they were saying you would have to sign a lease saying you wouldn't sue for mental anguish, and that the age limit would be 16-55...

PeteMadden

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:55 pm

dominoes wrote:
^ I remember when they were saying you would have to sign a lease saying you wouldn't sue for mental anguish, and that the age limit would be 16-55...

and to be fair I was very annoyed about that whole regime, and was so glad to be able to get on it. To be honest, its all down to the precise marketing with TH13TEEN. To me, its the kind of ride and theme that appeals to kids of about 13+. Saying that, the fact I occasionally see children significantly below that, sometimes barely scraping the height restrictions makes me wonder whether I'm being too strict on the topic. I just don't think I'd have felt eased enough to get on that ride when I was 1.2 metres tall...and I've also noticed a few children reluctant to get on it due to its themeing...the marketing campaign is kind of a shambles for me.

delerium6345
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 am

Hello All.  Just joined today, look forward to seeing all your thoughts!

I've been taking a breif look at some of the latest comments, which was a very interesting read.

The world's first feature....well i agree that its likely to be in the dark area, but i have no idea what it may be.  Personally, i would like it to be ride orientated, and not some special effects kind of thing (i saw 3d mentioned, that kind of worlds first, just wont do)  I'm actually more excited about the layout, it looks to be a proper, thrilling rollercoaster by first look, something AT has been lacking for a while.

The worlds first features of past AT rides, to me still excite (less so on Thirteen but i still ride it!)  Take Oblivion for example, it still excites me that i am riding the first of a kind.

About Gerstlauer rollercoasters, i've actually only rode 2, Saw, and 1 in southend, i think its called Rage?  I think what people forget is that Saw is supposed to be, well i wouldnt say rough, but quick.  It's jerky because of nature of the ride, but i cant state if thats Gerstlauer coasters in general, because i havent rode enough.  having said that, the climb after the rotating blades, there is a pretty nasty bump there.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:08 pm

Hex can be quite scary for younger children, even though it is a family ride... and like someone said the ride is a family drop coaster, was just marketed to be way too scary than what it is; would have fit perfectly with hex!
Image 2014

PeteMadden

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28 pm

^Hex is a strange experience, but I wouldn't say its as chilling as the likes of the TH13TEEN queue or advert. I mean don't get me wrong, with some of the film ratings these days, kids have probably encountered worse than TH13TEEN. I just can't get my head around the concept of a post-watershed advert for a family ride. I don't particularly think the post-watershed is any worse and rather pointless to be deemed 'post-watershed', but either way that's what it is. It was on past 9 to prevent frightening children for a ride partly aimed at children. I just think the target market for TH13TEEN was too broad.

Likewise, I also think SW7 will have a poor/no storyline to it, and will disappoint in that area, but I think the ride itself will top the likes of Oblivion. I don't know why, its just my instinct.

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:46 am

I think SW7 has already missed a trick in that, compared to THE SWARM, we have basically nothing right now.

At this point Thorpe was covered in "the end is coming" signs, we had a promotional poster, the actors were already around, and we had an ominous countdown clock.

I'm just not feeling anywhere as near as much hype for this as there was for THE SWARM, which makes me wonder where their priorities lie. Are they going to bodge it again like with TH13TEEN, and just spam buzzwords like "thrilling", "psychological" or "terrifying"

djneice
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 am

I still think they have got a bit of time before they could start with the actors, maybe bring them in as a few supports start to appear etc, i think the closer to the end of the season, well say a couple months before would be when the advertising starts to pick up and a storyline starts to appear, then this could mean them bringing in the live actors to start explaining that there is another experiment, or whatever they have planned for this ride.

although yes swarm did have advertising before any work started, i dont think they need to do that, i think they can wait a little longer, unless they have not decided what the storyline for this ride is yet? which to me wouldnt make sense as they have got the big robot spider thing already in the plans.

I cannot wait till we do start finding out bits about the ride, maybe they will just drop hints giving us more to talk/think about?
Last edited by djneice on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 pm

I remember somebody mentioned before a moving track. I think that could be pretty good! The track could twist around scenes and things, imitating the style of the Vekoma's Pandora's Box.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Alton have always been extremely secretive about their major projects, even though the SW thing (especially with 7) has kinda got a brand of its own now.

Secrecy is the most powerful form of marketing and its underused. When you have something like:

"hey guys LOOK, LOOK! The END IS COMING!1!! Its a new rollercoaster, its going to be massive and its all about some disaster. Its gonna be post apocalyptic themed and its gonna have seats and these things that do all this stuff."

Compared to:

"We have a new ride. We're spending £20m. We're not telling you anything. Goodbye!"

Which one would you want to know more about?