UK theme parks from another point of view!

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:26 pm

which is a shame, because it'll just be something gimmicky like thirteen.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:48 pm

Like Saw's warehouse, it is a decent size and as I have said, enters and exits opposite directions. Maybe it happens at the end?
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:19 pm

cookiee_munster wrote:
which is a shame, because it'll just be something gimmicky like thirteen.

I like Gimmicks :P
If I know what to expect then I escape less because my mind can still think about the past and future rather than being right there in the moment such as when you are face with something new.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:21 pm

I would personally love a gersty wingy.It Could be the first vertically launched wingy and it would be quite an experience

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:39 pm

The transitions and heartlining scream 4 across Eurofighter cars with lapbars, the clearances are way too tight for even a single offshoot wingrider.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Wouldn't it be the only inverting Rollercoaster that has lap bars in the UK?
Is that marketable as a worlds first?

tweek68
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:38 pm

G-force only has lap bars.

Stern John
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:47 pm

:oops: I've never been to Drayton Manor.
Hoping to go later this year.

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:41 pm

These are my personal thoughts and opinions on where Gerstlauer are at as a company within the industry.

They've established a popular and relatively cheap coaster style the "Eurofighter", tight compact layouts with record breaking elements that offer even the smallest of parks a chance to own a record breaking coaster with style.

Since developing the Eurofighter idea they haven't really forced themselves to follow the trend of other companies and try and compete in other styles like wooden, inverted etc.... Sure they've developed some family orientated coasters but it's clear the main aim is to develop the Eurofighter as a world class coaster. Even the development of a launched coaster is essentially a branch of the Eurofighter.

What we've seen since the launch of the Eurofighter is a steady development, moving from the clone layouts towards larger or tighter custom layouts.

We've also seen Gerstlauer improve many aspects of the track including strengthening from two tube to three tube with Takabisha among many improvements over the original track. They've improved the car from the default design to allow custom themed carts along with improvements to the user experience e.g. shoulder restraints to lap bars.

We've seen Gerstlauer take the branched launch coaster and integrate it with the Eurofighter (Takabisha). We've also seen Gerstlauer attempt a unique and extremely tight layout (Iron Shark).

What I see in SW7 is everything Gerstlauer has learnt. It features the large layout of Takabisha with many tight elements featured in Iron Shark. Most importantly we see Gerstlauer leaving behind the element that made the Eurofighter so iconic, the vertical drop. This to me suggests this coaster needs no gimmicks, the designers must be very confident that the coaster will meet and exceed peoples expectations.

The first lift hill is significantly longer than the vertical mid course one. This suggests the possibility of a launch up the first hill to match the speed of the mid course vertical lift. It's not a required feature though, however consider Gerstlauer have already experimented with a launched Eurofighter it's a possibility surplus to requirement. Also remember there is no need for a launch anywhere else on the circuit the only possibility would be for a launch towards the first lift hill.

So what could Gerstlauer bring to the table that would be an improvement over previous models. Well firstly lets get the obvious out of the way, we'll certainly see the much improved lap bars and themed cars from Iron Shark. Takabisha saw a modification to the vertical lift and the plans for SW7 would indicate that further changes have taken place.

Gerstlauer have already experimented with an alternative style of car with 6 seats in a stadium configuration, which so far has been confined to it's launched model. This particular model provides low throughput in comparison with the 8 seater Eurofighter. I think we can rule out this style out completely, the track length indicates a similar length to that of Takabisha which has an extremely poor throughput of 650 Pph (taken from the Eurofighter Brochure). Takabisha uses the 8 seater car and still achieves this poor throughput, this doesn't bode well for SW7. This to me indicates that SW7 will have an improved dispatch and many block sections to keep the flow of cars. Unfortunately I still can't see how SW7 will achieve a decent capacity, therefore I believe we'll see some sort of modification to the car which will increase capacity. I believe this would most likely be a 3rd row which would increase the capacity massively. Adding extra seats to the side of the current cars would be near impossible to archive due to the current clearances shown on the plans.

The increased track strength that Gerstlauer have introduced would indicate some sort of plan to allow for increased weight and therefore increased pressures and forces on sections of the track. The type of changes that larger capacity cars would create.

A larger capacity Eurofighter would allow Gerstlauer to market this new and improved Eurofighter to bigger parks that have stricter capacity requirements. However if we don't see an improved capacity, SW7 will need some impressive dispatching to improve the capacity over Takabisha.

So what else could Gerstlauer be doing? Well if they are now happy with the capacity, the cars and ability of the Eurofighter to provide unique and long layouts. They could be working on improving the dark sections of their rides or a unique element (possibly concealed in the station building). What the element could be is a complete mystery.

In regards to the car if capacity is out of the window the only way forward would be to attempt a floorless Eurofighter but I'm not sure that Gerstlauer would have been hyping up lapbars had they had a floorless model in the works.

Anyway, too many thoughts on this one :)

*Edit*

I forgot to add, I see a lot of people complain that SAW is quite rough. Some of the people having only ridden SAW assume Eurofighters were in general are quite rough with newer layouts improving the smoothness. Personally having ridden one of Gerstlauers early Eurofighters (Speed at Oakwood; it's second Eurofighter), I can happily say that Speed is significantly smoother than SAW.

Why? I have no idea...
Last edited by Morgano on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Nicely written piece, Gerstlauer have been given the chance to show off a bit with SW7, I've always said and still believe SW7 will be a new prototype ride that Gerstlauer will want to use as a showroom to what they are capable of.
If it was an off the shelf Eurofighter I dought it would be classed as a SW.
I WILL be back

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:24 pm

I checked out SW7's construction area, but my iPhone ran out so I have no pictures but good news there was a concrete truck there and the metal mesh that they use when laying concrete so I presume its either work on the station and buildings or the footers, but either way its still exciting. Sub-Terra surpassed my expectations

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I think the seats are going to give electric shocks at the end, that wouldn't be good

delerium6345
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Alton towers tend to be a lot more discreet when a new ride is coming.  Not like Thorpe Park who shout it from the rooftops.  I actually prefer that, more mystery and the like.

The more i think about it, the less i am intrested with the worlds first feature.  I actually am more looking forward to a proper rollercoaster layout, which this looks like. 

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:04 am

I highly doubt the 'world first' aspect is interactivity. It's an interesting concept, but could also seem a bit 'lame'? It sounds like an add-on rather than a unique concept. I mean it would sound more like an addon than a "free-fall drop section". At least that's a special track element.

I'm so very curious to find out what's in the building. The angles at which the track enters the station building interests me greatly. I wonder if the element is in the building, if it's on purpose to abuse the human's nature of curiosity. I think it's easier to be curious of what happens in the building than some technical information about the cars or special breaks/launchers. If the 'world first' element is a special and unique track element, then would be on of the first prototype coasters with a complete layout? Oblivion and Air, pushing the envelope of innovation  had rather simplistic layouts, especially compared to more complicated future designs. Perhaps this time they've worked hard on working out layouts and then decided to develop the special element?

My theory is that it's a track element that is explained by the odd layout of how the track enters and leaves the station building.

D-Man
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:52 am

I'm actually really looking forward to this ride! For once I think we are going to get a new World's First which pushes the boundaries with a unique layout and a world's first piece.

At Alton Towers we usually get a new ride that is the first of it's kind in the world, but because of that we usually end up with a version of that coaster that gets developed and built in other parks, therefore making our version less amazing. For instance, Air - Good layout first of it's kind but then they built Tatsu and Manta which take the ride to the next level.

For once I think this will be a ride that has a new element or a world's first piece that can't be beaten easily when the ride has been developed, I think we will be getting that developed ride right at the start. For me this ride layout looks phenomenal and I can't wait to see what happens with it.

I am finally seeing a ride that looks Epic. 
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:39 am

It will be a less technical first than Th13589248whateverteen, it is only 5 mill more and there is a layout, big station and big theming, so any tilt tracks are out of the question, guys.

Toke up...

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am

i personaly can see a lift section with a screen explaining what your about to go up against, i mean lets face it its another block section 2 if you wait before going on to the lift, i think the world first will be its trains to be fair
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

I'llookdownifiwanto
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:49 pm

The Moon wrote:
It will be a less technical first than Th13589248whateverteen, it is only 5 mill more and there is a layout, big station and big theming, so any tilt tracks are out of the question, guys.

But a lot of the budget for Th13teen went into research and development, trust me that drop section is no minor feat of engineering, it took a lot. The actual hardware wouldn't have been that expensive. I don't think we can rule it out just yet.

*sniffs* "Don't like Merlin" :(

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:33 pm

A lot of research and development for this coaster type has already been done in numerous incantations. So there is a lot of space to do something unique with this ride. I won't be disappointed if it's a train thing, as long as the world-first element is an Engineer's fetish but something that would go over the head of the GP.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:49 am

I'llookdownifiwanto wrote:
The Moon wrote:

But a lot of the budget for Th13teen went into research and development, trust me that drop section is no minor feat of engineering, it took a lot. The actual hardware wouldn't have been that expensive. I don't think we can rule it out just yet.

Yeah, that was kind of my point.

Toke up...