UK theme parks from another point of view!

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:23 pm

STOL is turbojets, not launch systems. Just to be clear.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:25 pm

^ I know, but it launches planes along a short distance. Oh I don't know. I just can't see any other reason...  :(

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Unless they intend on using turbojets in the system they have as much luck as a bull in a china shop, the jets are attatched to the aircraft. I can't see the same system being used, somehow...
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

JoeGibbon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Attach jets to the cars??? The worlds first jet powered coaster! It's a great tagline :P

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but Liftsystemen is just "lift system". It clearly states 2 lift systems with one being vertical.

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:40 pm

So we have just been told what we know in a difficult to understand way. Woohoo!

Toke up...

George B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

sweedish2009 wrote:
Not sure if anyone else noticed this recent Twitter update...........

Alton Towers Resort ‏@altontowers
"New developments in the X Sector area of the Theme Park have uncovered a previously undiscovered area of the Towers - #SW #TMOJ #TS"

Any thoughts on this? Could it be an early sign of viral marketing?

#SW = Secret Weapon
#TMOJ = The Ministry Of Joy
#TS = The Sanctuary

SW7 is linked to The Sanctuary!! (sorry if everyone has already worked this out) :O

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Actually, you know what, I'm a muppet, I took the Google Translation of the page too literal.  It's supposed to say two lift systems, not the name of a Rolls-Royce product.

Shame, TurboJet launch sounds far more exciting than any magnetic LIM/LSM launch system.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 pm

In view this might have a robot theme:

OK.Basically. I've been thinking about music for my robot ride (concept) and I *THINK* there was a period in the 80's where there was this very robotic sounding "industrial" music which is not a lot like industrial today e.g. Nine Inch Nails. Basically the music sounds like a robot factory. It has noises like, banging on poles, big bins (but not Stomp) in a very "quantized" rythmical way. Machine noises.

So I thought if this ride was gonna have a robot theme these music ideas might apply to SW7 somewhat. SADLY, I've not been able to find a prime example. The best I heard was a Demo on the Roland MC-505 groove box but I can't find that.

So some that get at what I'm getting at:
Depeche Mode - People are people  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9vfK_bl ... re=related the way the percusion hard consice repeats
Prodigy - Babys got a temper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFBPnZe_iMA Do you hear the machine noises? (begins about 0:35)

So yeah, just throwing these ideas up about the music.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:02 pm

The Ministry of Joy, plus the planning permission gives me massive Terry Gilliam vibes.

The central element being mechanical and moving like Arcadia? Seems incredibly unlikely to me. Having something like that running 10 hours a day, 9 months a year for a decade or so seems a massive ask. Plus the risk of minor mechanical failure resulting in a catastrophic accident seems too high (would only take a small piece of metal to fall off and hit someone going at 40mph+ to cause them to have a very bad day...)

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:29 pm

It won't move your right...

1. Health and safety nightmare, it's way to close to the track
2. The central globe of the spider thing has a column holding it in place. Suggesting that the centre is heavy and the legs are just decoration.
3. It wasn't mentioned in the planning permission, but sounds, and lights were.

I'd love for the central sphere which looks like it will have TV screens on to display the riders faces in real time as they go around the track. Along with other Oblivionesque/SAW style messages to the public.

However I'd imagine people would flip the bird and other things which would soon ruin the whole thing. But then again people can do the same for on ride photos and videos where available.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:02 pm

abigsmurf - That is pretty cool though. A lot of the props in 12 Monkeys are of a great style. It's a bit like SteamPunk.

George B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Morgano wrote:

I'd love for the central sphere which looks like it will have TV screens on to display the riders faces in real time as they go around the track. Along with other Oblivionesque/SAW style messages to the public

Love this idea, could be so cool!

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 pm

The Ministry of Joy was meant to be around the early 1900s and the X Sector is quite 'modern' and tad 'fringe futuristic'. That does scream steampunk.
Perhaps a more Bioshock type Steampunk where it's quite sinister but still very clinically clean.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:52 pm

If I was gonna call the X sector style now I'd say it had an area 52 like security theme + a futuristic theme. I think we will see some artifacts, possibly this coaster will have invasive effects. A less clean version of steampunk would be very cool but I think what is important to remember is the style could go in many directions. In fact, you can almost be establishing a new style as you go a long if you are good enough.
Theres no association between government security and potatos but alton towers could make one if they were good enough. That said, designers/artists tend to fall into certain pre established styles due to inherent/natural associations with certain themes/ artistic elements (e.g. Security theme will always have electric fences and beacons - you can't get away from that - You can't suddenly change the paradigm to have no fences).
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:28 pm

You could have a High-Security area with Hedgerows :) or field Stonewalls.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Well
If you were gonna have intelligent, electric leaves or Stones that taze people that would be a different kettle of fish... And not necessarily at all like something out of a B movie  8)

----reece----
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Well I think the area 52/more futuristic look would go really well but the whole of x-sector even the entrance sign looks dull and neglected so I'm hoping it all gets abit of tlc for the 2013 season!

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:14 am

Those lattices that you tie climbing plants to? If you make it an aggressive briar variety I'm sure that'll be good security.

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:20 am

Is anyone else slightly worried they'll do with X-Sector/Oblivion what they did with Ug Land/Rita?

Not what you would call a complete re-theme, but give the area an old/disused/abandoned type of government facility look that's been discovered after recent excavations? (not exactly an original idea!)

The new ride fits that theme perfectly, I just hope they don't change to much of Oblivion's theme.

The cheap alternative to repainting areas of X-Sector and its rides would be to basically keep it as it is, make it look more worn and derelict.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low