UK theme parks from another point of view!

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 pm

I know this is off topic but are there any past Alton Towers coasters that have had delays regarding the opening date just like The Smiler?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:51 pm

I think Rita,which opened on April first,not sure if it was scheduled for then though

M3tabolic
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:
danwhit709 wrote:
The head bashing on Saw was a big turn off for me and I know we're having a new train design for The Smiler so they better sort it out otherwise lap bars, for me, would make it a much better ride experience.

This is the big worry for me, I cannot enjoy Saw as I find it an uncomfortable ride which always leaves me with a head ache.

I have never figured out why so many people think SAW is a rough ride? I used to live in London and made regular trips to Thorpe Park, the most recent being just last August. Sure it's not super smooth like air, but I've never found it uncomfortable or banged my head. Not like the awful restraints on 'Infusion' at Blackpool Pleasure Beach!

I'm pretty sure that the Smiler will not be floorless, no matter how much we want it to be. The current marketing pics have floored cars.

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

M3tabolic wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:
danwhit709 wrote:
The head bashing on Saw was a big turn off for me and I know we're having a new train design for The Smiler so they better sort it out otherwise lap bars, for me, would make it a much better ride experience.

This is the big worry for me, I cannot enjoy Saw as I find it an uncomfortable ride which always leaves me with a head ache.

I have never figured out why so many people think SAW is a rough ride? I used to live in London and made regular trips to Thorpe Park, the most recent being just last August. Sure it's not super smooth like air, but I've never found it uncomfortable or banged my head. Not like the awful restraints on 'Infusion' at Blackpool Pleasure Beach!

I'm pretty sure that the Smiler will not be floorless, no matter how much we want it to be. The current marketing pics have floored cars.

could be several reasons, from time of day you ride, which car you get on or even knowing the ride layout. One thing for sure is, as you acknowledge in you post, there are an awful lot of people that do find it an uncomfortable ride. We can't all be wrong. I hope this doesn't ring true with The Smiler.

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 pm

I've still got to ride Saw, but given the talk of it being a bumpy ride I have had a small niggle about The Smiler becoming bumpy too and rough as well.

Fingers crossed with the new train design there will be a bit more flex to them giving a smoother ride.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
I know this is off topic but are there any past Alton Towers coasters that have had delays regarding the opening date just like The Smiler?

I know Stealth in Thorpe Park was very problematic. With constant breakdowns for the first year

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:08 pm

I re-posting this in here, i did do it in Marketing without even realising.

Kenzie2012 wrote:
Joshysqaushy wrote:
It would be awesome if every time you pass underneath the spider/inoculator their were speakers that said stuff like "PHASE 1 OF CORRECTION COMPLETE"

I really like that idea too...I've been trying to think of something like that which would work with the theming we know of. Maybe not every time you go under that area but more prominent areas like below:

As you are in the final length of the queue, almost like Oblivion it could say "10 minutes until Correction" and so on.

As you leave the station on the train - "Starting Correction"

After the indoor section and unknown SE area - "Phase 1 Complete"

Lift 2 where all those crazy features have appeared on the screenies from the game - "Phase 2 Complete - Standby for Final Phase of Correction"

and then as you enter the Station - "Correction Complete - Have a nice Smile!!"

Thats it!!! Been trying to work that out for ever! Thanks for the nudge Matey  :P
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

Joshysqaushy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:44 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:

I think it will be smooth, the only reason saw is rough is due to the fact it was built on unstable ground and it moved some of the track or something at the bottom of the first drop.
Having been on speed and saw i do agree that saw is horribly rough but speed is smooth to me.
And im sure john wardley has learned from his mistake with saw and has tried to make it as smooth as possible
Last edited by Joshysqaushy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-R-f-2wp74
UPDATES: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37998&start=40

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:35 am

I find the top of the first drop gives you one hell of a bash, but the rest of the ride is good, Saw seems to be better at the start of the season than towards the end, maybe due to the winter maintenance.

One question is does anyone know what the throughput of the Smiler will be, with 16 people per train, you would expect it to be double that of Saw.
If you go down to the woods today

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:41 am

Running at full capacity with full loads and no issues, a general calculation would bring throughput in at 1344 passengers per hour.

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:42 am

Trisnie wrote:
Liam-AltonTowers wrote:

I know Stealth in Thorpe Park was very problematic. With constant breakdowns for the first year

Thats launches for ya. Love em but they can be a pain.

lozzyhickers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:35 am

roodlesnouter wrote:
Trisnie wrote:
Liam-AltonTowers wrote:

Thats launches for ya. Love em but they can be a pain.

Rita was the most recent AT coaster to be opened part way through the season. Whether that was planned or not i cannot remember.

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:18 pm

If you compare these two images:

The Smiler - Recreation of the cobra roll/batwing.

The Smiler - Actual track for the cobra roll/batwing.

How accurate would you say the recreation is compared to the actual thing?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:22 pm

It's probably 90% to the finished job.

TheInactiveMoth
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
How accurate would you say the recreation is compared to the actual thing?

Somewhat. ;) Of course, some have theorised that certain parts of the outside track could be rolls and not turns, but that is speculation, so we'll have to see.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Noah the carnivorous botanist - Arsenal 'til I die!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 pm

You can clearly see from those two pictures that the actual station building is different to the plans.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
You can clearly see from those two pictures that the actual station building is different to the plans.

the station is the only thing that cannot change once planning has been permitted so the station is the same as it is in the plans :)

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

I disagree.... The sole reason is you don't know what that station is going to look like yet, it's not built!

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:06 pm

But i thought in terms of planning, the building has to stay the same and the only thing they can change is theming on it?

DoubleOh7
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Ive missed three or four days on here so might have missed some bits so what I am about to say may or may not have already been put forward/discussed. So far the general concensus is that the 'spider' is the 'inoculator' that the tweets were referring too. Looking on the promotional images of the ride the Inoculator has pistons on its legs indicating that it is possibly a mobile/interative piece of theming. Could we be perhaps seeing a machine here which will interact with the riders? perhaps with a syringe type thing on the end to 'innoculate' the riders? (or at least give the idea thats what its doing?)