UK theme parks from another point of view!

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:25 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
But i thought in terms of planning, the building has to stay the same and the only thing they can change is theming on it?

Your absolutely right in what you said Jay... I was referring to what Chris said.
As yet, we know of no changed that have been granted to the station buildings, herefor we must believe they are staying as originally designed.
What I was saying in regards to Chris was that ATM from those pictures, you actually can't tell what the station will look like at all. There's not enough there to predict the final look  :lol:
Last edited by Kenzie2012 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Kenzie2012 wrote:
JayJay90 wrote:
But i thought in terms of planning, the building has to stay the same and the only thing they can change is theming on it?

Your absolutely right in what you said Jay... I was referring to what Chris said.
As yet, we know of no changed that have been granted to the station buildings, herefor we must believe they are staying as originally designed.
What I was saying in regards to Chris was that ATM from those pictures, you actually can't tell what the station will look like at all. There's not enough there to predict the final look  :lol:

The picture is hard fact the station has changed from the plans.

You can clearly see from the steelwork.

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 pm

You really can't.... Unless your looking at something different.

I'm not sure how you can look at those and say there's enough there to know its changed.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Well look at the far right of the picture at the station building, you can see that part of the station sticks out. The plan showed it would be flat.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 pm

DoubleOh7 wrote:
Ive missed three or four days on here so might have missed some bits so what I am about to say may or may not have already been put forward/discussed. So far the general concensus is that the 'spider' is the 'inoculator' that the tweets were referring too. Looking on the promotional images of the ride the Inoculator has pistons on its legs indicating that it is possibly a mobile/interative piece of theming. Could we be perhaps seeing a machine here which will interact with the riders? perhaps with a syringe type thing on the end to 'innoculate' the riders? (or at least give the idea thats what its doing?)

It's specifically in the planning permission that the spider theming will be stationary, so I presume 0 movement at all

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

DoubleOh7
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Oh boo :( nevermind. It would have been awesome although if our spider looks somewhere near as good as the one on the promotional images I'll be a happy bunny.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 pm

The station will be more or less identical to the one which was submitted to the planning department barring some slight aesthetic differences.

However, unlike the original plans it would seem as though the 'staffordshire knot' element is within a pit of sorts instead of in a landscaped area. 

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:02 am

DoubleOh7 wrote:
Oh boo :( nevermind. It would have been awesome although if our spider looks somewhere near as good as the one on the promotional images I'll be a happy bunny.

I spent about 2hrs reading through all the planning permissions and things and to be honest the track can change to almost any extent as long as it doesn't effect the conservation area.

Also as everyone keeps saying the station must stay the same, however I have to add that there will be illuminated signage on the front so would be great for a screen with the Smiler logo with eyes spinning :D

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 am

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
Well look at the far right of the picture at the station building, you can see that part of the station sticks out. The plan showed it would be flat.

I've gone to the last update and had a good gander and I've got to be honest, I can't argue with you on that one. It does stick out ATM is all I'd say, that could extend all the way along and become flat again. I agree, it doesn't look that way, but the station can not be changed without permission.... Which has not been given. If it has been changed, they will be in big trouble!  :?

Will have to keep an eye on that.

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:29 am

So what exactly are they going to do with this pit, will they fence it off, are they going to make it look nicer or just leave it as it is...?

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:54 am

Adz wrote:
The station will be more or less identical to the one which was submitted to the planning department barring some slight aesthetic differences.

However, unlike the original plans it would seem as though the 'staffordshire knot' element is within a pit of sorts instead of in a landscaped area.

I first noticed this when Alton Towers released the cobra roll its coming pic, you know the 5.14 one. You could tell by just how low to the ground the element was in that picture, and I thought it would give great views of that section of the ride. On the flip side though on the original plans we would be able to stroll around and under those elements, apparently not now, which to me is a shame. It is also worrying as to how they will finish that pit area, will be left with open bare concrete just like airs tunnel? I really hope not, I guess only time (or aerials) will tell.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 am

roodlesnouter wrote:
It is also worrying as to how they will finish that pit area, will be left with open bare concrete just like airs tunnel? I really hope not, I guess only time (or aerials) will tell.

Considering they're opening in may I would be very surprised if they did make the same mistake as they did on air, wouldn't take too much to plaster it with some smiler logos and a few spotlights etc etc

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 am

What are everyone's thoughts on the seat restraints published in the promotional images?  I was really hoping for lap bars and can imagine as the ride ages it could be really painful with these restraints.  Im not sure what AT's obsession is with OTSR's!

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 am

Javs wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the seat restraints published in the promotional images?  I was really hoping for lap bars and can imagine as the ride ages it could be really painful with these restraints.  Im not sure what AT's obsession is with OTSR's!

Oblivion and Nemesis have OTSR and there still great rides, what I don't get is why they used B&M restraints in the promotional image when they could of just used something like Saw: The Ride's restraint which is an actual Gerstlauer just like The Smiler...?

Or it could be because the whole train design is different so there not using the standard Euro-Fighter OTSR's.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 am

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
Javs wrote:

Oblivion and Nemesis have OTSR and there still great rides, what I don't get is why they used B&M restraints in the promotional image when they could of just used something like Saw: The Ride's restraint which is an actual Gerstlauer just like The Smiler...?

Or it could be because the whole train design is different so there not using the standard Euro-Fighter OTSR's.

I'm going to assume it is because Alton usually use the oblivion test seat for their promotional images so they probably used it for this aswell.

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:08 pm

It is a drawing of the smiler, but nose is ugly, I think it is not a catastrophe.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

You've captured the 'flow' of the layout well.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:45 pm

getothing wrote:

It is a drawing of the smiler, but nose is ugly, I think it is not a catastrophe.

Not a bad drawing mate. Definitely has the right flow of the layout in the plans.

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm

The inoculator is the robotic spider.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 pm

So... New website launches.... What's that in the image on http://www.the-smiler.com/site/microsit ... /the-game/ ?

At first glance it looks like a vertical launch...