UK theme parks from another point of view!

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:01 pm

themealgang wrote:
Seems very likely that Alton are pushing for the inversion record. This seems absolutely crazy considering that just a few short years ago, the majority of the community started to complain at the parks lack of true inverting roller coasters. To think we are probably going to end up with a ride with 14 inversions, securing a solid world-record for the UK and a crazy gimmick seems like the dream roller coaster.

John Wardley and Merlin, I salute you!

And I can only imagine what it will end up like! The amount of inversions in just the corner of the ride that has been built seems ridiculous if you put it into perspective

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Well, honestly, I think the best way to beat the record of investments, (not as Colossus repeats the same element that a lot of times) are not repetitive, there is great variety, I have listed all.

-Indoor heartline-twist.

Inverted drop-tipe-1

Dive loop-x2

Bat-wing x2

- Big corkscrew

Inverted drop-tipe-2

-Sea serpent roll

Cobra roll-x2

-Inline twist

-Little corkscrew

and are all different, and I love the layout looks like a beast straight out of the crazier side of a designer, is giant, the layout is great and beautiful, futuristic, bold.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 pm

getothing wrote:
Well, honestly, I think the best way to beat the record of investments, (not as Colossus repeats the same element that a lot of times) are not repetitive, there is great variety, I have listed all.

-Indoor heartline-twist.

Inverted drop-tipe-1

Dive loop-x2

Bat-wing x2

- Big corkscrew

Inverted drop-tipe-2

-Sea serpent roll

Cobra roll-x2

-Inline twist

-Little corkscrew

and are all different, and I love the layout looks like a beast straight out of the crazier side of a designer, is giant, the layout is great and beautiful, futuristic, bold.

If you have ever played sandbox on RCT3 I think this is what a 10 year old with a few too many ribenas and blue smarties would create :D I have to say though variety is the key to the perfect inversion record

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Phild94 wrote:
getothing wrote:

-Indoor heartline-twist.

Inverted drop-tipe-1

Dive loop-x2

Bat-wing x2

- Big corkscrew

Inverted drop-tipe-2

-Sea serpent roll

Cobra roll-x2

-Inline twist

-Little corkscrew

If you have ever played sandbox on RCT3 I think this is what a 10 year old with a few too many ribenas and blue smarties would create :D I have to say though variety is the key to the perfect inversion record
If I played, but this design is fabulous.

Has 2 airtime and many inversions, and looks genial.No think a little boy in RCT3 believe something like
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 pm

altontowersbarlow wrote:
off topic here but some things point towards on board effects on the carriges there is a picture on one of the forums of wires conecting to the cariges that look sucpicious ;)

You know of a forums page with pictures of the trains? I highly doubt that...
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:26 pm

MC4 wrote:
Alton Towers official twitter page tweeted about 10 minutes ago, the tweet stated that there will be an exciting announcment tomorrow  :D could this announcment be about the smiler? The opening date? A possible secret element?  :?

I reckon that's just to announce the game coming out, which is obviously a good thing, otherwise it's almost definately Smiler related.
Smiling since 1997.

Joshysqaushy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Coasterfan312 wrote:
You know of a forums page with pictures of the trains? I highly doubt that...

:no:  there was a picture of the trains on a board at alton towers...
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-R-f-2wp74
UPDATES: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37998&start=40

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:20 pm

I've just been reading through the latest posts on this topic and I saw someone mention that this ride isn't a Euro-fighter (which is what I thought it was). I'm sure this has been totally obvious from the start so bear with me, but can someone either explain or show me a site that explains what actually 'defines' something as a Euro-fighter (Wikipedia doesn't help) - and what The Smiler actually is 'defined' as? I.e. what other coasters like this are out there? Or is this the first 'whatever it is'.

RollerCoasterTycoon2013
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Eurofighters are a combination of beyond-vertical drops and inversions so The Smiler is probably not a Eurofighter. Unless they have a new "mark" of Eurofighters with inverted drops. We don't know what The Smiler is yet.

RobJackson85
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Bullet Hell wrote:
I've just been reading through the latest posts on this topic and I saw someone mention that this ride isn't a Euro-fighter (which is what I thought it was). I'm sure this has been totally obvious from the start so bear with me, but can someone either explain or show me a site that explains what actually 'defines' something as a Euro-fighter (Wikipedia doesn't help) - and what The Smiler actually is 'defined' as? I.e. what other coasters like this are out there? Or is this the first 'whatever it is'.

A euro-fighter is a model which features a vertical lift and a drop of 95 degrees (beyond vertical). It als has trains which are two rows of 4 seats.

This is a new model rollercoaster from Gerstlauer.
http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Bullet Hell wrote:

*Most* Eurofighters Have:

- An iconic 2 car train with 4 seats on each car (The Smiler is a new generation of Eurofighter, so it has 4 cars).
- A more than vertical drop.
- 2 and 3 tube track (3 for most of the twisty sections).

That's all I can think of right now, but if you look up some Eurofighter coasers such as Saw: The Ride and Takabisha, you'll probably be able to tell what a Eurofighter is quite easily.
Smiling since 1997.

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 pm

RobJackson85 wrote:
Bullet Hell wrote:

A euro-fighter is a model which features a vertical lift and a drop of 95 degrees (beyond vertical). It als has trains which are two rows of 4 seats.

Not all of them do, The Smiler doesn't, and some other launched Eurofighters don't.
Smiling since 1997.

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 pm

RollerCoasterTycoon2013 wrote:
Eurofighters are a combination of beyond-vertical drops and inversions so The Smiler is probably not a Eurofighter. Unless they have a new "mark" of Eurofighters with inverted drops. We don't know what The Smiler is yet.

What do you mean The Smiler isn't a Eurofighter? It's been confirmed...
Smiling since 1997.

RollerCoasterTycoon2013
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 pm

It hasn't been confirmed, even TT said that it hasn't been confirmed.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Coasterfan312 wrote:
RobJackson85 wrote:
Bullet Hell wrote:

Not all of them do, The Smiler doesn't, and some other launched Eurofighters don't.

Firstly, The Smiler isn't a eurofighter, it is a completely new design from Gerstlauer and that leads me to believe there is something special about the train which may tie in with the world's first feature. I think it was rumoured to be a eurofighter so it didnt cause speculation too early on. Also Takabisha is the only launched eurofighter I am aware of, as the other launched Gerstlauer coasters don't count as eurofighters and are simply called launched coasters, as a eurofighter has the distinctive 2x4 trains.

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for the responses, it's helped clear up a bit of confusion I had over some of the speculation, e.g, 'will it have a vertical lift' (I just assumed it would) and the whole beyond vertical drop thing - stupidly I had assumed it would have one despite that being rather ridiculous right next to Oblivion!

Can't say I'm a fan of either of those elements to be fair so only dealing with one (or neither) will be a relief!

Edit: Just to point out I haven't examined the plans or anything at length, which may be where I've gone a bit wrong.
Last edited by Bullet Hell on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Personally, a Eurofighter to me is anything Gerts produce that has a vertical lift and drops beyond 90 degrees on the other side. I refuse to call The Smiler a Eurofighter, even if it was to be officially confirmed as one. Although thankfully, it hasn't been listed as one yet.

It doesn't have the beyond vertical drop, it has completely different trains and no doubt other features that will put it in a different league from the Eurofighter design.

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Gerstlauer's two primary coaster models (excluding their bobsled/spinning coasters) are the standard Eurofighter and their increasingly popular Launched Coaster design. The defining characteristics of a Eurofighter are, as we all know, a vertical lift and beyond ninety degree drop.

Confusion between the two regularly arises as a result of three things:

#1 - Two Eurofighters currently feature launches as well as the usual lift/drop combo. These are sub-classified as Launched Eurofighter models.

#2 - The 'V-shaped' ride car, featured on both existing Launched Coasters, has also been installed on Dare Devil Dive and Huracan. (both standard Eurofighters)

#3 - They use an identical track design, and the standardized layouts of both ride types are very similar.

Due to the deviations from both of these definitions, I'm in no doubt that The Smiler will be considered an entirely new design concept from Gerstlauer. Both by the industry and Gerst themselves. :)

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Don't know if anyone has spotted in the smiler game video. But there is a quick scene where you leave the station about to hit that first drop. And they seemed to have Smiler faces projected/painted all over the walls. I know it's all for the game. But if they did this for real it would look amazing. Reckon they will do something similar?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Bexbunce
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 pm

Personally I think the worlds first is going to be something inside the tunnel as John wardley said you would need to go to alton towers to find out what it was. If it was part of the track outside that was a worlds first then people would know this from pictures etc. it could also be what the trains do like if the cables as seen in the poster do actually do something besides being there just for show.