UK theme parks from another point of view!

Henry
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 pm

DoubleOh7 wrote:
Never ridden a floorless coaster (unless you cound SLC's of course) what are they like?!

Also, anyone find it slightly odd looking back at JW's interviews where he mentions he would never try and go for an inversion record or anything like that as he percieved that as 'boring'?! One then has to wonder what other tricks the coaster has got in store then?!

He said that but he made Colossus, so unless that Journey to the stars thing opens, he's beating his own record isn't he?
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!

Tom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm

DeanGaryCox wrote:
(which also the smiler logo has 16 teeth)

I think you may be over analysing ever so slightly there :P

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Henry wrote:
DoubleOh7 wrote:
Never ridden a floorless coaster (unless you cound SLC's of course) what are they like?!

Also, anyone find it slightly odd looking back at JW's interviews where he mentions he would never try and go for an inversion record or anything like that as he percieved that as 'boring'?! One then has to wonder what other tricks the coaster has got in store then?!

He said that but he made Colossus, so unless that Journey to the stars thing opens, he's beating his own record isn't he?

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure it was Werner Stengle who designed colossus

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:20 pm

It was designed Werner but adapted by John W :) if this helps to settle the dispute

bigstanny
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
DoubleOh7 wrote:

You've never ridden nemesis then?

Its a technicality, Nemesis classes as suspended, Yes granted nothing under your feet. But, as I'm sure your aware the sensation and actual ride feels a lot different with coaster and no floor when you ride on the track as opposed to hanging underneath it.

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:11 am

to be really technical.. Nemesis is Inverted as apposed to Suspended, Suspended is more a term for trains that hang below but free swing. Inverted however is more of a term for such rides with seats held in one place.

The Smiler however i doubt to be floorless.. But i do imagine lapbars and maybe the seat tilted back a bit so your feet are off the floor
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:31 pm

I think that the smiler and oblivion are very different ,oblivion is short and intense,simple,is a walk of a single trick ,the smiler is an exciting new of needle that is extreme and modern ,i believe the smiler will be better,because the layout is messy but not nothing ugly , (thanks to John)is beautiful ,i think that the layout is a union of colosus and takabisha.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:46 pm

I once had a weird dream, It's that on the Smiler the secret element will be a surprise drop. (Much like thirteen's drop but kind of outside.....ish.

I kind of remember the surprise, It was on the top of the marmaliser. your mind tricks you that you will go in a certain direction due to the vision of the passenger but really it pulls a quick card on the table by dropping you straight down once the real track layout is revealed at the top of the marmaliser. That's when in the dream i went inside the marmaliser....

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Am I right in thinking there are 11 pyhsical inversions, with the expectation that the 'washing machine' effect will increase this?

I'm pretty sure That Guiness work records will only count physical inversions. As if I remember rightly ejankia in Japan inverts riders 14 times but wasn't awarded the inversion record? But with 11 I believe it is still a record breaker, but not by much

I could be wrong

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:27 pm

sku11dude123 wrote:
I once had a weird dream, It's that on the Smiler the secret element will be a surprise drop. (Much like thirteen's drop but kind of outside.....ish.

I kind of remember the surprise, It was on the top of the marmaliser. your mind tricks you that you will go in a certain direction due to the vision of the passenger but really it pulls a quick card on the table by dropping you straight down once the real track layout is revealed at the top of the marmaliser. That's when in the dream i went inside the marmaliser....

That was a dream. It's not real, don't say it as if it is...
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:28 pm

iriderides101 wrote:
Am I right in thinking there are 11 pyhsical inversions, with the expectation that the 'washing machine' effect will increase this?

I'm pretty sure That Guiness work records will only count physical inversions. As if I remember rightly ejankia in Japan inverts riders 14 times but wasn't awarded the inversion record? But with 11 I believe it is still a record breaker, but not by much

I could be wrong

The Smiler will have at least 14 physical inversions. Eejanaika is in the Guiness Book of Records as the coaster with the most inversions (14), however sites like RCDB only class it to have 5 inversions because the track only physically inverts 5 times. The other 9 times is when the seats rotate.

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:28 pm

iriderides101 wrote:

I could be wrong

Well, one thing is that it has atleast 13 inversions, but there may be up to 2 others, so it probably will beat any inversion record out there.
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:54 pm

sku11dude123 wrote:

Was sort of thinking the same, I remember a piece of track which had 2 breaking systems. This is probably impossible to accomplish but I was thinking maybe on the vertical lift the train stopped and the chain was released backwards (if thats even possible) and it will be a sort of freefall backwards until the second braking system stopped the train and then returned to its climb with the sinister laugh being heard (as on the game) as you reach the top.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:16 pm

It is very unlikely that it will have a free fall drop as th13teeen already does, however I think we will still be seeing a secret element either before the first chain hill or at the end of the ride

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Has anyone else thought that the secret element might be before the vertical lift hill, there is a lot of room there an could see that being a good place

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Mabalzich wrote:
Was sort of thinking the same, I remember a piece of track which had 2 breaking systems. This is probably impossible to accomplish but I was thinking maybe on the vertical lift the train stopped and the chain was released backwards (if thats even possible) and it will be a sort of freefall backwards until the second braking system stopped the train and then returned to its climb with the sinister laugh being heard (as on the game) as you reach the top.

I mentioned that a while back... Once you've competed the underground inversion you enter the chamber and are stopped at the end. The car is taken backwards & effects go off.  The train reaches the back of the SE where it is stopped, the effects crackle as if theres a fault, plunging the riders into darkness, you hear a laugh and the train is then launched out of the SE "maintenance shed" with enough force to crest the hill at a relatively slow'ish speed.

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

pii
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi,
Just something I'm curious about. In a lot of the promotional Smiler stuff there are CCTV cameras, could this maybe be a hint at something. Like when you finish the game and your score comes up, there are cameras around it... It may just be nothing but, if I know Alton Towers, everything seems to have a meaning and all promotion is very well thought through. Which also makes me think that 53173 although it turns to make smile, has more of a meaning...
The idea of the marmalisation chambers etc seems interesting but I can't help but liken it a little to Sub Terra... making The Smiler less of a roller coaster and more of an attraction, which isn't a bad thing because I got to say I was pretty scared on Sub Terra xD It just seems less... original and maybe that, with the inversions... its sorta too much for one ride :S
The other idea about the lift failing and the train goes down then is cranked up again I would really like to see but it doesn't seem to fit with The Smiler's theming of playing with your mind, distracting you by making you feel happy, not scared, so then you don't expect the turns and inversions...
But this coaster looks so amazing and Im desperate to try it, secret element or not ! I'm kind of sad its opening in the middle of exam season though :(

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:09 pm

John Wardley affirm that there are 2 chain lift, to others it is impossible to launch, as much similar to the lifting chain of maverick
ck
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:47 pm

getothing wrote:
John Wardley affirm that there are 2 chain lift, to others it is impossible to launch, as much similar to the lifting chain of maverick
ck

Maverick doesn't have a chain, it gets up the first hill using LIM or LSM motors, can't remember which. It is a kind of launch up the hill.

Evil Lewis
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:45 pm

getothing wrote:
ck
JW said there will be 2 lift hills. Nothing to confirm that they will be chain lifts as far as I'm aware.
Evil