UK theme parks from another point of view!

arsenalfan-1
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Coasterfan312 wrote:
Stop mentioning back pokers! I'll hate this ride if it has them Dx

I hardly even see a logical reasoning for them, it'd reduce the amount of people able to ride, as people with even minor back injuries would need to avoid it - not to mention that'd it'd probable GIVE people those back injuries.

I agree and to be honest does anyone actually enjoy back pokers that much?  :dizzy:
Thanks Lewis97

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Today in the sanctuary one of the actors in the sitting room stood infront of me smiling singing that same song that was featured on the so called 'fan made' smiler advert, maybe just coincidence but maybe it's not :D

ukparknews
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 pm

arsenalfan-1 wrote:
Coasterfan312 wrote:

I hardly even see a logical reasoning for them, it'd reduce the amount of people able to ride, as people with even minor back injuries would need to avoid it - not to mention that'd it'd probable GIVE people those back injuries.

I agree and to be honest does anyone actually enjoy back pokers that much?  :dizzy:

They do take people by surprise and add a new dimension to the experience. I suffer from a bad back myself but I don't think a back poker feature would compound this any further - moreso the multiple inversions and excessive G..unless you have a particular sore/tender area where you're being poked.
UK Park News - Your Dedicated Theme Park Resource

www.ukparknews.co.uk

undeadarmy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Coasterfan312 wrote:

If you've ever been in a 4D experience, you'll know that the back prodders are quite gentle and not that fast, they give you a quick shock, but nothing scary enough to make you not want to ride.

They're a very good idea imo.

Also, JayJay90, that makes me think that is official, could very much be a queueline video.

NutterFrutter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:33 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
Today in the sanctuary one of the actors in the sitting room stood infront of me smiling singing that same song that was featured on the so called 'fan made' smiler advert, maybe just coincidence but maybe it's not :D

That video was definitely not fan made, no coincidence.

redpiggy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 pm

I have to say I wouldn't mind back pokers.. But my OH on the other hand absolutely hates them. He finds them really uncomfotable and hates Sub Terras for example.
I hope they do incorporate the 4D style things to the ride.. As long as they're not too pokey!
(Leg ticklers on the other hand.. Eurgh! Hate them with a passion.. They freak me out and I always feel the need to pull my legs up, not possible on a rollercoaster though!)

bealyboy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Anyone got a link to that video?
SMILE.ALWAYS

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 pm

bealyboy wrote:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUFWBN9xSIQ

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 pm

bealyboy wrote:

Here

EDIT: Beaten to it.

bealyboy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks
SMILE.ALWAYS

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Just out of curiosity if there are trim brakes on the bunny hop. They don't necessarily need to be used do they? Isn't it true there are trims on Air that arnt used as it impedes ride quality?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 pm

undeadarmy wrote:
Coasterfan312 wrote:

If you've ever been in a 4D experience, you'll know that the back prodders are quite gentle and not that fast, they give you a quick shock, but nothing scary enough to make you not want to ride.

They're a very good idea imo.

Also, JayJay90, that makes me think that is official, could very much be a queueline video.

I've been on 2 experiences which contained back prodders, and they still really irritate me, however soft you think they are.
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Just out of curiosity if there are trim brakes on the bunny hop. They don't necessarily need to be used do they? Isn't it true there are trims on Air that arnt used as it impedes ride quality?

The one on Air isn't used as it doesn't need to be. It was put in as they were unsure of how the ride would fair properly so it was added just in case it was needed - to which it wasn't. The same could happen here, but its unknown at the minute, and we will soon know when testing occurs.

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Coasterfan312 wrote:
I've been on 2 experiences which contained back prodders, and they still really irritate me, however soft you think they are.

There's only really one remedy to this problem if this is indeed the speculated 'secret' element, and that would be to offer two different types of train: One with 4D effects and one without. This could almost be marketed at the start of the queueline:

'Total Marmalisation queue: Queue for a train with added elements for the complete Smiler experience'
'Partial Marmalisation queue: Queue for advocates not require as great a dose of happiness'

I'd like to think that Alton Towers would give riders the option of the kind of ride they'd like to experience. The last thing they'd want is the enthusiasts complaining about the ride being spoiled by secondary effects.

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote:

The one on Air isn't used as it doesn't need to be. It was put in as they were unsure of how the ride would fair properly so it was added just in case it was needed - to which it wasn't. The same could happen here, but its unknown at the minute, and we will soon know when testing occurs.

Mentioning testing how tense do you think people involved are before the first test? and how long before anyone gets on the coaster to test it?

Shiala_towers
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 am

Coasterfan312 wrote:

I will be honest I'm not a big fan of the back pokers but if they're going to put 4D effects on board the trains (which i'd say evidence suggests they are) then I think it's something that will be there. That said I don't think it will put me of riding and I don't think you will receive a jab in the back while travelling at any great speed, that's why I think it will all take place at slow speed before the first lift hill. Then the marmaliser will just be a series of near misses some mist and flashing lights all at much higher speeds (obviously).

I can't really see your point about people with back problems though because I would have to say the back pokers wouldn't be the first thing on my mind before riding the smiler with even a slight back problem, it would the fact that this thing has in excess of 12 inversions which would make me think twice!!

GigaSurimi
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:25 am

JonoD wrote:
Coasterfan312 wrote:

There's only really one remedy to this problem if this is indeed the speculated 'secret' element, and that would be to offer two different types of train: One with 4D effects and one without. This could almost be marketed at the start of the queueline:

'Total Marmalisation queue: Queue for a train with added elements for the complete Smiler experience'
'Partial Marmalisation queue: Queue for advocates not require as great a dose of happiness'

I'd like to think that Alton Towers would give riders the option of the kind of ride they'd like to experience. The last thing they'd want is the enthusiasts complaining about the ride being spoiled by secondary effects.

In case there are 4D effects, I'd like your point to be true.
However I think this would be very complicated to put in place, not to even mention marketing the whole 2-choice thing. It would also be very confusing for guests in the first place to chose which train they want to ride - and afterwards they might be thinking "damn, I need to try the other train as I don't know what I've missed" which would be very inconvenient especially in the beginning where we can expect queue lines of 2h or more...

I think AT wants to (and should) only market a single ride experience.

Danny

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53 am

Trisnie wrote:
Mentioning testing how tense do you think people involved are before the first test? and how long before anyone gets on the coaster to test it?

I believe the coaster has to go through 200 hours of testing before anybody is allowed on it, which will most likely be Wardley and several other members of the team who created it, then staff, then the media, then us lot ;)

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Although it has been marketed as a 'jab' of happiness, syringes could also provide a water effect. I know this doesn't fit nearly as well as a back poker but worth throwing out there. Personally really turned off by the idea of back pokers.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Danny wrote:
Trisnie wrote:

I believe the coaster has to go through 200 hours of testing before anybody is allowed on it, which will most likely be Wardley and several other members of the team who created it, then staff, then the media, then us lot ;)

So i imagine that from ~10 hrs per day (8am till 6pm) or (9am to 7pm) it will take about 20 days (3 weeks) of testing before anyone can ride it :/.... well we have about 7-9 weeks until possible opening day, rate of construction of about 5/6 track pieces per day (average), i imagine another 2 weeks track construction will be finished.... i reckon about a May 22nd opening day,

Am accounting for another minor problem or 2 anyway :/ would be nice to see testing by April 6th though for previews at the end of April, minor adjustments to effects/timing/staff training, so i would say around May 22nd, gives the staff time to handle a few visitors before the hoards approach come the weekend

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D