UK theme parks from another point of view!

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 pm

I much prefere this topic, as there is no arguing and no ranting to be seen :) also, everyone is coming up with great ideas, and not complaining about a fence...

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 am

The thing that's confusing me a little is that there has been no PUBLIC testing of the ride.. It's all happened while the park is closed and no-one can see what's going on.. This suggests that there's more to this than meets the eye. Alton are going out of their way to hide something from the prying eyes of the public.. Something that will only be revealed on opening day. Whether this be for effect or not remains to be seen...

Would a rollback on the lift hill be the worlds first any-way, or are we looking at something completely different?

LCFCjames
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 am

I think it is great testament to Alton towers that we still can't really guess the remaining secrets of this ride, they are doing a great job at keeping many aspects myaterious :) as for the public testing, I think there must be some form of secret that occurs outside and that is why we haven't seen any public testing yet. Maybe once the full details are annouced testing will commence during park opening hours. As for the rollback been a world first I'm not sure, I know there are rides where the chain cable has the effect of 'snapping' but this isn't the same as a rollback 8)

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 am

Here is something interesting... according to the game video the smiler has 4 stages (which we've all seen):

Stage 1
Recruitment entering queue
Data Capture dummy cameras around queue area

Stage 2
Initiation queueline video similar to subterra
Brain wipe queueline preshow in groups

Stage 3
Processing see below
Marmalisation start of ride after first lift hill

Stage 4
Smiling Advocates the result of marmalisation
Process Complete ride complete

As you can see I've left processing, why?... Well take a look at the original trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmui8MfOu5A (10 seconds in)

The image for processing has been removed with some crude editing (square black box). It's clear that processing is more than just the initial boarding. Why go through the length of hiding the image. In the actual game you get a brief 1 second look at the image in the opening video. I took a freeze frame and examined it, the image has been replaced with the number 1 from stage 1. Again the image has been edited out.

From the secrecy I'd Definetely assume processing will take place prior to the lift and will be more than just your normal preshow.

I know we all speculate this is the case anyway but I'd thought I'd point out the edited video.

temleh
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 am

Watch this from 9mins onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZS36cW8G7I

Does this mean the Smiler will not self-duel? Or did the team crack it this time round??
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay

kingda dude
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 2:19 am

temleh wrote:

Does this mean the Smiler will not self-duel? Or did the team crack it this time round??

Oh, yea that was SW1 it would be great if JW's last Secret Weapon successfully does what he intended to do on his first one to do.

Also i noticed this on the construction thread (by Danny):

Look at the screens:
We already have the five stages of marmalisation:
The giggler
The Tickler
The Inoculator
The Hypnotiser
The Flasher

Then what on earth is 'The Disorientator'?  :?
What is Rotation referring to, times around the track, or revolutions of something?
Is 259 the number of the carriage, or number of rotations?

So many questions posed.
"The Marmalisation Process has been scientifically designed to ensure a sense of euphoria and satisfaction should be had by all... There are no, known, Long Term side effects to the Marmalisation process, however short term side effects may include: dizziness, vomiting, loss of balance, loss of limb control, feinting, wild hallucinations but most importantly Smiles!"

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 am

kingda dude wrote:
Then what on earth is 'The Disorientator'?  :?
What is Rotation referring to, times around the track, or revolutions of something?
Is 259 the number of the carriage, or number of rotations?

So many questions posed.

Questions which have been posed countless time over before and to sum it up for you in a nutshell...

The disorientator is speculated to just be the indoor barrel roll with strobes like in the game. It goes from 0 to 360 'rotation' meaning one rotation, aka a barrel roll - and not rotations as in multiple revolutions.

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 7:17 am

temleh wrote:

The idea behind that one was 2 trains on track, and you had to dispatch a train perfectly when the other train got back round to the 2nd lifthill. In the case of the smiler, there is the indoor barrel roll, and a holding brake before each lifthill that will serve as a buffer for the dueling purpose, wether the lifts do anything special or not, so long as they are synchronized, then we'll have a duel. The best thing about the smiler is regards to dueling is that it doesn't have to, it's not the main focus of the ride as was the case with SW1

DrReeve
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 7:23 am

what if i come off the ride and im not marmalised?

Smiler dream last night (sadness lvl 100) It was known as a 5D coaster. No idea how that could work. Also it included thirteens drop section but you were launched up. :P
Image credit to Lewis97

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 am

DrReeve wrote:
what if i come off the ride and im not marmalised?

Ask for return tickets? lol

Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Going to stick with the Speculation one as construction is pretty much done that topic is creeping more and more into what ifs...
I did post this in the other one but the backs of the head rests look a bit odd. I wonder if in the dark they glow or move or appear to move as you are heading towards the lift hill..?
JW did say that you will come off this ride wondering what is real and what isn't..
Love it!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....

HollywoodGG
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Not sure if the has been mentioned, but in speculation to what the Disorientator is, I also believe it's likely to just be the barrel roll in the indoor section, BUT the barrel roll indoors flips the ride cars 360 anti-clockwise, the video of the Marmaliser screen testing video during the Disorientator part shows the ride car and rounded arrow flipping 360 degrees clockwise. Wonder why that is? Or if when making the video it just wasn't well thought out?

B3N7AM1N.712
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Can I ask what is the point of putting an evacuation lift on the smiler v lift hill if the fins will lower the coaster to the ground slowly if the ride breaks down :/
:D THE SMILER :D

Kirsty25

Thu May 09, 2013 5:15 pm

is it an evac lift or a maintenance lift?

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu May 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi,

Please do not hate me for this but what are the fins :3

To save an argument, can someone PM me the answer,

Thanks guys :D
I'm the boy with the bubbles

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Deadjack5 wrote:
Hi,

Please do not hate me for this but what are the fins :3

To save an argument, can someone PM me the answer,

Thanks guys :D

*locks andzdrew in a room with Sam198*
Last edited by Jack on Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 7:45 pm

FINS!

oli12345
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 7:57 pm

What about the 7 secret world first elements in the game ?

Astro61201
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 pm

only time will tell....
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:

Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm

HollywoodGG wrote:
Not sure if the has been mentioned, but in speculation to what the Disorientator is, I also believe it's likely to just be the barrel roll in the indoor section, BUT the barrel roll indoors flips the ride cars 360 anti-clockwise, the video of the Marmaliser screen testing video during the Disorientator part shows the ride car and rounded arrow flipping 360 degrees clockwise. Wonder why that is? Or if when making the video it just wasn't well thought out?

I'm pretty sure it's just you nitpicking, it means nothing. Remember that the marmaliser video has Saw: The Ride footage on it, so don't take all of it to be true!