UK theme parks from another point of view!

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Big Dave wrote:
Just a quick thought. Those pictures have made me think that maybe they will make the themed object out of digger arms. Getting a load of steel and making it from scratch is a lot of hard work, grabbing a load of digger arms and adding theming to them would be much easier and cheaper.

:?

I doubt it will be steel, themeing rarely is!

Big Dave

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:04 pm

They nearly always have a steel shell and have fibreglass over top of them.

Steel frame work for Wodan entrance feature:
Steel mesh for the rocks:
Last edited by Big Dave on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Big Dave wrote:
They nearly always have a steel shell and have fibreglass over top of them.

Would of thought you are right there, steel struts for the legs with fibreglass over the top of the struts for the theming.

Mattybernard
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 pm

I have been a TT fan for many years but just got round to registering - I'm very excited about this, at 35 have been a huge AT fan for years, (off topic but as people have been talking about it, am I the only person to find Speed painful ? I hated it… ) anyway, hopefully this new ride will be smoother and looks fantastic ! … much longer than the usual Merlin park coaster… surprised a few people are being negative about it.. roll on construction pics, thats the really exciting part when it starts to take shape

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:05 am

Agreed about the steel shell, My point was that they wouldn't just use the steel. I'd say digger arms aren't going to be long enough, and would probably be quite expensive anyway because of their scrap value. I'd imagine they'd use as little steel as possible! The theme of this is all that is making me a bit concerned, the coaster itself looks fine and will offer an experience the park doesn't already have which is always a positive. Like I have said before, I'm just tired of the drab and depressing themes, scary isn't exciting to me! But hey, I'm sure it will sell just fine and I can't pass judgement until I've seen it in the steel.

monkeyboy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi I have been keeping an eye on this forum for ages, great work Nemesis94!

I know the center peice is just marked as "theming" but does anyone else think the 360degree glass would make a great viewing platform? especially with the base so close to the path.

just a thought.......be gentle!

Coaster_Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 pm

I believe they're LED displays rather than glass windows.

jb19852
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 pm

had a thought on the worlds first, could it be the worlds first alton towers SW coaster not to be an actualy first?

Or perhaps the 1st Eurofighter without a beyond vertical drop?

In all seriousness, I am intrigued as to what will happen in the building, to me it seems the only place where there could be a worlds first, and it is still a mystery as to why the building has what appears to be an extra level

Longy

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

jb19852 wrote:
had a thought on the worlds first, could it be the worlds first alton towers SW coaster not to be an actualy first?

In all seriousness, I am intrigued as to what will happen in the building, to me it seems the only place where there could be a worlds first, and it is still a mystery as to why the building has what appears to be an extra level

Nemesis wasn't a world's first. ;)

I doubt they could get anything out of that, as it's like saying:
"Look at our ride with a normal drop and nothing special!"

The world's first will happen inside of the building, as there is definitely no world's first on the outside, so I'm excited to see what the Towers can pull off this time!

Matthew144

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 pm

I think your right on this it has to be in the building but hard to see what would fit, the extra height must be part of it but if it's the worlds steepest drop as said pages ago it still won't be much of a drop only 10 m or so without a lot of digging!
Also what would be the point of a beyond vertical drop in the dark, but having said that I suppose just because it's inside it doesn't have to be dark! Maybe a optical illusion of some kind to make the drop seem deeper.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:27 pm

jb19852 wrote:

That would be the definition of 'clutching at straws'! :P

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:35 pm

As expected, the planning committee will discuss SW7 in 1 week's time.

http://www.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/sm/yo ... -committee

The recommendation to the planning committee is that the development should be approved!

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:09 pm

No surprises that both the Alton and Farley Parish Councils object the application. Fingers crossed it gets passed though!

:)

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Why on earth don't they spell check! It's written in word so everything’s already been highlighted yet they seem to have ignored it. Oblivian :no:

Beside that it’s good to hear things are happening. I was starting to wonder why nothing had happened.

Blaze

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm pretty sure the planning application deals with their concerns, so it should get passed no problem.

Not sure what English Heritage are on about though, wanting the food place to close and the landscape around the ride returned to it's original appearance.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Blaze wrote:

Not sure what English Heritage are on about though, wanting the food place to close and the landscape around the ride returned to it's original appearance.

What food place?

:?

Blaze

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:34 pm

An old restaurant, apparently it's been out of use for a long time and they want it gone.

It's not the ex-KFC, it's more towards Spinball.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I think they could mean the Fried Chicken Co. but they visited the site just after KFC had left the building so it looked out of use and 'redundant' as the statement says.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm

^Is that the building surrounded by trees to the right of the the lawns?

I always thought that was just a storage building.

Blaze

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:39 pm

CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
^Is that the building surrounded by trees to the right of the the lawns?

I always thought that was just a storage building.

I think it's that one.

Chris wrote:
I think they could mean the Fried Chicken Co. but they visited the site just after KFC had left the building so it looked out of use and 'redundant' as the statement says.

In the other topic it's explained what one they mean, it isn't Fried Chicken Co, don't worry. :)