UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3014
Joined: March 2012
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 am

I don't mind having a launch BUT not vertical please [-o<
Image
 
MartinDarko
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2
Joined: February 2013
Location: The Unknown

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't know if its been mentioned but worlds first stand-up floorless?
I'm guessing it's not a likely scenario, but it is achievable on drop towers, with a bit of engineering it could possible on a rollercoaster car. Hopefully pain free too!
 
Nathan Clulow97
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 11
Joined: January 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Yes on construction page 88 86 87
 
User avatar
rockportboy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 11
Joined: November 2012
Location: County Durham
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:00 am

I think the trains are going to be a worlds first as well as the secret element like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4iCbManmjw
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: October 2012
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 am

I posted this in construction but I guess it's speculation..

Image

It's obviously not to scale and also bright yellow (to show track better) but I mocked this up earlier in 5minutes to try and show what I think the hidden element of the ride is..

I still think/hope there's more
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
User avatar
MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 215
Joined: May 2012
Location: West Bromwich

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 am

clayj wrote:
I posted this in construction but I guess it's speculation..

Image

It's obviously not to scale and also bright yellow (to show track better) but I mocked this up earlier in 5minutes to try and show what I think the hidden element of the ride is..

I still think/hope there's more


The exit of the barrel roll comes out further left of the station entrance. The barrel roll would actually be happening under the station/brake run track.
Image
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
 
User avatar
clayj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 224
Joined: October 2012
Location: Belfast but Newcastle originally

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 am

As I said, not to scale and made in 5 minutes lol
Image

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ
 
User avatar
MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 215
Joined: May 2012
Location: West Bromwich

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:45 am

clayj wrote:
As I said, not to scale and made in 5 minutes lol


I've just made a quick one using coaster crazy ipad app (LMAO don't laugh it's all I have) it actually runs quite smoothly on that app and you come out of it at quite a slow speed and the barrel role isn't too forceful. But I still can't tell if there is a barrel role there. Lmao. There might not be.
Image
Image
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4362
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 am

Thinking about a launch, I would still refer back to my original idea that it would literally make people smile. This wouldn't necessarily be achieved by speed, but more from how quickly it accelerates, and takes riders by surprise!

Here's a picture from Lynet, which shows that a launch, that would be around the same speed as the possible launch on The Smiler, can really make riders smile:

Image
Image
 
getothing
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 64
Joined: November 2012
Location: españa

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 am

not a word first ¡¡
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4362
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:34 am

getothing wrote:
not a word first ¡¡


I'm not saying it is, but there could be something else in the ride to make it a world's first, the launch is simply an extra element to add.
Image
 
simononestop
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 197
Joined: June 2009
Location: Hastings

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 am

The world beating / first simply could be that it is one of a kind
they could believe no rollercoaster with this spec all together has been made before
2 lift hills, super tight inversions, a launch which I think will happen, indoor drop and barrel roll.
I think thay are just going to play on the fact is a total bespoke unique build not been done before.

and its not going to beat the inversions/tallest/ fastest.

just that they believe its going to be one of the best complete coasters built!


I hope not and it does beat the inversion record but at the moment thats the only thing left?
 
Henry
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 230
Joined: December 2012

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 am

I have been wondering, would a floorless launch be possible?
Image
Credit to Lewis97 for the signature!
Image
 
Bexbunce
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: December 2012

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 am

rockportboy wrote:
I think the trains are going to be a worlds first as well as the secret element like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4iCbManmjw


I sort of think this wouldn't happen at all but if you look at the pictures of the game it does look like the sides of the train lift. Like in this picture.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/ ... 22d25b.jpg

As I said I totally don't think it will happen but just thought I would speculate.
 
User avatar
Deejay
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 841
Joined: November 2012
Location: London, UK

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Bexbunce wrote:
rockportboy wrote:
I think the trains are going to be a worlds first as well as the secret element like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4iCbManmjw


I sort of think this wouldn't happen at all but if you look at the pictures of the game it does look like the sides of the train lift. Like in this picture.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c259/ ... 22d25b.jpg

As I said I totally don't think it will happen but just thought I would speculate.



Hey, I'm not 100% but I think the theme of the game is staying on the track and not falling off!!!
 
User avatar
Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 114
Joined: June 2011
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Repost from construction topic as its fits here too:

As we have seen from the recently released photo by Alton Towers that the support on the left is in an inverted position (As I've illustrated below):

Image

Now there has been speculation for some time about an inverting drop which with the above support looks like it may happen. I then went back to The Smiler game app photos and this image looks very much like an inverting drop to me:

Image
(Original image)

Image
(My attempt at blowing it up a little)

As you can see, the train is coming out of a banking drop. Now the banking is correct with that support as you would roll right (clockwise) down the drop (you can also see the 'conversion zone' (bottom of second lift hill - black and yellow rectangles) to the bottom right of the image which can be seen in this photo:

Image

So it is in the right place. Now before anyone says I can't see *insert element* on the game images that is because you unlock more as you go along. This has been sat in front of us for weeks and only now does it become clear. An inverting drop? Looking likely!

*removes detective coat* :lol:
Image
 
User avatar
Stardust
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 2013
Location: TARDIS

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:57 pm

I was thinking that possibly the 'world-first' element is that the coaster is shaped in a knot-like way, (from what we have seen on the photo's) correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen anything like that before. Anyway, it's just theory and speculation which is the most fun part of the build-up to the release date.
ℓσνє, ѕтαя∂υѕт
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4362
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Stardust wrote:
I was thinking that possibly the 'world-first' element is that the coaster is shaped in a knot-like way, (from what we have seen on the photo's) correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen anything like that before. Anyway, it's just theory and speculation which is the most fun part of the build-up to the release date.


It would be a 'worlds-first' but I think that would be slightly disappointing if they were to claim the 'worlds-first' element as that. But then again, perhaps they will, and then have the 'world-beating' feature as well...
Image
 
dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 399
Joined: October 2012
Location: Here

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Stardust wrote:
I was thinking that possibly the 'world-first' element is that the coaster is shaped in a knot-like way, (from what we have seen on the photo's) correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen anything like that before. Anyway, it's just theory and speculation which is the most fun part of the build-up to the release date.


It would be a 'worlds-first' but I think that would be slightly disappointing if they were to claim the 'worlds-first' element as that. But then again, perhaps they will, and then have the 'world-beating' feature as well...


I can't see that being the world first feature. I think the world first will be either world first self duelling coaster i.e the 2 halves of the coaster race each other. I believe for either SW1 or SW2 they wanted to do this but the technology wasn't in place to get the timing right on it. Or it will be world first vertical launch, there was some concept art released for a vertical launch coaster in X sector a while ago which was based on the oblivion concept art but with a shuttle going up the track instead of down. I know wicked has launch motors on it's vertical incline but it starts launching from a horizontal position so maybe the smiler starts going up the vertical lift, comes to a stop, and then launches upwards from an already vertical position.
The world beating element will probably be the number of inversions.

Or it may be the washing machine which would be both world first and world beating  ;)
Last edited by dazza4783 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
 
User avatar
Phild94
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 366
Joined: December 2012
Location: Newcastle under Lyme

Re: The Smiler - Speculation

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:17 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Thinking about a launch, I would still refer back to my original idea that it would literally make people smile. This wouldn't necessarily be achieved by speed, but more from how quickly it accelerates, and takes riders by surprise!

Here's a picture from Lynet, which shows that a launch, that would be around the same speed as the possible launch on The Smiler, can really make riders smile:

Image


Correct me if i'm wrong but there can't be a drop from the known track to a launch if there is one...... there is no footer for even this small ramp as seen on tats pics
Image

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests