UK theme parks from another point of view!

ATJoseph
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Finally that eyesore is out of my life I hated that tent it was such a waste of space!

CrazyTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Looks weird, seems like they took the entrance down, that & half of the tent!  :shock: Wonder if we'll be seeing the tent pop up some place else in the future.
It's been a while.

Jollylee11
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:35 pm

:O I think the black hole tent will be gone by next week
credits to theme park news

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:43 am

Shockadelica wrote:
PeteB wrote:
Wow. I think this is the first time we've ever seen that area without the BH tent, is it not?  Not aware of any old photos showing the area pre-tent.

It's a strange thing to see!

These are the best I could do.  Scans from The Alton Towers Guide by Sunflower Books, first published in 1985.

If I'd have known something was afoot back in 1983, I'd have taken more photos  :)

P.S.  Sorry for kind of going off-topic.

They don't actually show the Black Hole site though.

Nevertheless, they are great photos. Thanks for sharing :)

Shockadelica
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 am

The shot of the Pirate Ship clearly shows the Black Hole site as was behind it.  That was the fence surrounding Dinosaur Land and was pretty much all you could see from the outside.

The shot of the Alpine Bobsleigh shows the same fence on the left and shows roughly where the Black Hole entrance tunnel is/was.

If you want a few shots of inside Dinosaur Land, The Story Of Alton Towers DVD has a short few.
Last edited by Shockadelica on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the third time that day, his flaps fell off.

thefatone
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:38 am

Ahh look at that gorgeous greenery which has been hidden away.

This new coaster will really open up X sector, it'll look ace this time next year!

owenjones92
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:53 am

There's also loads more construction pictures up on theme park news

Fb. Com /ThemePN

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
DONT...LOOK..DOWN

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Just got back from Alton Towers and the tent doesn't look any different from when those pictures were posted above. It does look like quite a mess at the moment (especially the odd strips of canvas flapping around in the wind) so the sooner it's gone the better now.

swfcjambo
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 pm

BigAl wrote:
Just got back from Alton Towers and the tent doesn't look any different from when those pictures were posted above. It does look like quite a mess at the moment (especially the odd strips of canvas flapping around in the wind) so the sooner it's gone the better now.

If there's been trees blown down today, I bet the canvas is all gone now.

(probably wrapped around Blivvy's lift hill!)

dazstoke78
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 6:04 pm

I was on site today and a little over half the tent is now gone :)

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 6:08 pm

dazstoke78 wrote:
I was on site today and a little over half the tent is now gone :)

any pics?

dazstoke78
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Sadly not as I was only there for 3hrs but I may pay another visit in the morning before work, ahh the joys of living so close lol

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 pm

I was at the park yesterday and I got a few snaps that I posted on a website I write for. I'm not sure your forums rules for posting links to other sites but this is my own article and my photos taken by myself. So take a look. If I am in the wrong with this please let me know.

http://www.clickbuyget.com/alton-towers-udate-on-possible-2013-ride

(on a side note I would like to say hi, I'm a big fan of forum's having moderated many over the years and im a huge fan of Alton Towers, so I'm not sure whats took me so long to register with this fantastic site. Either way I'd like very much to become part of the community here and hope I'm given a warm welcome)
Last edited by MatthewR1990 on Thu May 03, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 11:01 pm

Matthewr1990 wrote:
I was at the park yesterday and I got a few snaps that I posted on a website I write for. I'm not sure your forums rules for posting links to other sites but this is my own article and my photos taken by myself. So take a look. If I am in the wrong with this please let me know.

(on a side note I would like to say hi, I'm a big fan of forum,s having moderated many over the years and im a huge fan of Alton Towers, so I'm not sure whats took me so long to register with this fantastic site. Either way I'd like very much to become part of the community here and hope I'm given a warm welcome)

Hi Matt and welcome. Thanks very much for the link. Don't worry the way you've done it is fine. It would only be a problem if you had plugged your own site without adding to the topic but your article certainly is on topic and much appreciated.

I see they've already removed the trees that were noted to be in the way, according to the plans I think that area of land is due to be excavated soon.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Nightfall wrote:
Matthewr1990 wrote:

(on a side note I would like to say hi, I'm a big fan of forum,s having moderated many over the years and im a huge fan of Alton Towers, so I'm not sure whats took me so long to register with this fantastic site. Either way I'd like very much to become part of the community here and hope I'm given a warm welcome)

Hi Matt and welcome. Thanks very much for the link. Don't worry the way you've done it is fine. It would only be a problem if you had plugged your own site without adding to the topic but your article certainly is on topic and much appreciated.

I see they've already removed the trees that were noted to be in the way, according to the plans I think that area of land is due to be excavated soon.

Ahh, wonderful. and thank you very much. Yeh there were many Lumberjacks shifting and cutting down tree's as well as the crane and a few builders on cherry pickers trying to take down the steel columns. The problem I've spotted which will take some time to clear, is the actual concrete base which is rather large. I can see it being messy and time consuming.

BigHairJoe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Hello i have posted one of my SW7 videos here before so i thought i would show my latest update was a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCq_rYMeceY

I was told by someone who is taking it down that its meant to be done by the end of this week.  He commented on the first deconstruction video. I live reasonably close so i will post any updates on here as i should be able to get them done pretty quickly.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 am

Will the construction of this effect the toilet building that sits behind the construction site?

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 9:51 am

Surprisingly nope! The toilet building will remain (as seen on the plans) and a support structure will be built over the top of the building for the parts of the ride which go over the toilets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 10:07 am

Oh wow, they should definately give the toilet building a bit of theming.

jb19852
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Matthewr1990 wrote:
Will the construction of this effect the toilet building that sits behind the construction site?

I still find this incredibly odd - surely all that steelwork would cost more than rebuilding the toilet block? I may be wrong i guess......