UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Joshysqaushy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: December 2012
Location: Blackpool

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Or its the only part of the ride built so far  :roll:
Image
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-R-f-2wp74
UPDATES: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37998&start=40
 
User avatar
JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 309
Joined: October 2012
Location: Stafford/Wolverhampton

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:10 pm

lewis97 wrote:
DannyNewbro wrote:
Has anybody seen the latest tweet? "#THESMILER is coming to @altontowers RT if you think you're brave enough to experience this world first roller coaster!" Is this the Staffordshire knot? Image


Yes it is. They've released a number a pictures of it now, it does suggest it's a focus of the ride, or that there's not much else to show.


yes thats the interlocking cobra rolls looking out from the station area!
seems that theyre focusing on this because its THE only part of the ride they can actually show off! hopefully like Kenzie says more footers will be in place because once theyre all up, the track should then speedily follow :)
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

^Well, not exactly. It's a batwing and cobra roll interlocker - not 2 cobras. :roll:

Anyway, there really better be more footers, or AT are really taking the $%&*!
 
User avatar
TheNigeC
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 191
Joined: January 2013
Location: Cleethorpes - Home of Pleasure Island

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:00 pm

rhino18 wrote:
^Well, not exactly. It's a batwing and cobra roll interlocker - not 2 cobras. :roll:

Anyway, there really better be more footers, or AT are really taking the $%&*!


Please note... AT are not building the coaster...
Gerst are..
Theyre having to deal with lots of different factors at the minute..

would you want to work outside for 10hours a day in the snow, wind, rain and cold... in the mud..
I Could live on Nemesis! I want to travel the world visiting all the best Theme Parks!

FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM [img]http://TUMBLR YOUTUBE

Image
CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK
 
User avatar
Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 654
Joined: February 2012
Location: Leeds

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm not sure we will be seeing any new concrete on any aerials for the next few days at the least. The weather just hasn't been right in the area for any concrete to set and things such as the lifthill and toilet supports will need some pretty special footers making up.
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
 
User avatar
James-Allgood
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 10
Joined: July 2010
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:23 pm

They've obviously been working on the station during the bad weather as the rest of the site would of been under like 2ft of snow but then again ground work has been happening so theres only one way to find out..... MI7 we need you!  :lol:
 
rhino18
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 127
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:34 pm

TheNigeC wrote:
rhino18 wrote:
^Well, not exactly. It's a batwing and cobra roll interlocker - not 2 cobras. :roll:

Anyway, there really better be more footers, or AT are really taking the $%&*!


Please note... AT are not building the coaster...
Gerst are..
Theyre having to deal with lots of different factors at the minute..

would you want to work outside for 10hours a day in the snow, wind, rain and cold... in the mud..


The workers don't. They will have smaller shifts than that and I disagree with you on your comment, yes AT may not be building the coaster, but AT are just as equally to blame as Gerstlauer, because Gerst isn't building it either.
Gerstlauer are manufacturing the ride. Manufacturers don't often construct the rides for the recipient. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that lousy, unprepared British construction crews are to blame, not Gerst.

Yes, the weather's not been great, but it's not like it snowed every day last week, is it? They seemed to have coped fine with Gatekeeper's construction and that was far worse weather.

So, yeah, don't try and sympathize with them, as the majority of the time, they'll be in their diggers and cranes, drinking cups of coffee.
 
User avatar
JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 309
Joined: October 2012
Location: Stafford/Wolverhampton

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm

rhino18 wrote:
TheNigeC wrote:
rhino18 wrote:
^Well, not exactly. It's a batwing and cobra roll interlocker - not 2 cobras. :roll:

Anyway, there really better be more footers, or AT are really taking the $%&*!


Please note... AT are not building the coaster...
Gerst are..
Theyre having to deal with lots of different factors at the minute..

would you want to work outside for 10hours a day in the snow, wind, rain and cold... in the mud..


The workers don't. They will have smaller shifts than that and I disagree with you on your comment, yes AT may not be building the coaster, but AT are just as equally to blame as Gerstlauer, because Gerst isn't building it either.
Gerstlauer are manufacturing the ride. Manufacturers don't often construct the rides for the recipient. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that lousy, unprepared British construction crews are to blame, not Gerst.

Yes, the weather's not been great, but it's not like it snowed every day last week, is it? They seemed to have coped fine with Gatekeeper's construction and that was far worse weather.

So, yeah, don't try and sympathize with them, as the majority of the time, they'll be in their diggers and cranes, drinking cups of coffee.


The weather has slowed construction for obvious reasons and yes in fact it did snow near enough everyday. Over in stafford and I know stoke itself had around 6-9 inches of snow fall in under a week. However work WAS still being done which is evident through the tire tracks you can see through the snow on the latest image. It may only be landscaping the ground but its SOMETHING rather than nothing. You expect there to be footers made and poured when its below freezing? I'm no concrete expert but I know that it ain't gonna happen in them temperatures.
It may not even be the weather that's slowed down construction it could be a number of issues that you wouldn't know of unless you were project manager on the site of The Smiler. Yes construction has slowed but Alton towers have recognised this and said it'll open May. That's a huge amount of time so lets just have some faith and let them get on with it and in the meantime ill look forward to seeing the updates from the air from MI7 and team TT :)
Last edited by JayJay90 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
sw7fan
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 10
Joined: November 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:07 pm

JayJay90 wrote:
rhino18 wrote:
TheNigeC wrote:
rhino18 wrote:
^Well, not exactly. It's a batwing and cobra roll interlocker - not 2 cobras. :roll:

Anyway, there really better be more footers, or AT are really taking the $%&*!


Please note... AT are not building the coaster...
Gerst are..
Theyre having to deal with lots of different factors at the minute..

would you want to work outside for 10hours a day in the snow, wind, rain and cold... in the mud..


The workers don't. They will have smaller shifts than that and I disagree with you on your comment, yes AT may not be building the coaster, but AT are just as equally to blame as Gerstlauer, because Gerst isn't building it either.
Gerstlauer are manufacturing the ride. Manufacturers don't often construct the rides for the recipient. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that lousy, unprepared British construction crews are to blame, not Gerst.

Yes, the weather's not been great, but it's not like it snowed every day last week, is it? They seemed to have coped fine with Gatekeeper's construction and that was far worse weather.

So, yeah, don't try and sympathize with them, as the majority of the time, they'll be in their diggers and cranes, drinking cups of coffee.


The weather has slowed construction for obvious reasons and yes in fact it did snow near enough everyday. Over in stafford and I know stoke itself had around 6-9 inches of snow fall in under a week. However work WAS still being done which is evident through the tire tracks you can see through the snow on the latest image. It may only be landscaping the ground but its SOMETHING rather than nothing. You expect there to be footers made and poured when its below freezing? I'm no concrete expert but I know that it ain't gonna happen in them temperatures.
It may not even be the weather that's slowed down construction it could be a number of issues that you wouldn't know of unless you were project manager on the site of The Smiler. Yes construction has slowed but Alton towers have recognised this and said it'll open May. That's a huge amount of time so lets just have some faith and let them get on with it and in the meantime ill look forward to seeing the updates from the air from MI7 and team TT :)


I'm hoping for another update soon as well !!!
 
User avatar
andy_sj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 65
Joined: March 2009
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 pm

You can still pour concrete in cold weather, ie. below freezing, its not ideal but can be done if it needs to. The concrete produces plenty of heat as it sets, usually once it's poured it's then covered to try keep some heat in and stop the water in the mix freezing before the concrete sets. They can also add additives to the mix to accelerate the curing process. Depends how desperate they are  to get footers in and how much risk they want to take, like I said, it's not ideal but it can certainly be done successfully if need be.
 
User avatar
JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 309
Joined: October 2012
Location: Stafford/Wolverhampton

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:44 pm

andy_sj wrote:
You can still pour concrete in cold weather, ie. below freezing, its not ideal but can be done if it needs to. The concrete produces plenty of heat as it sets, usually once it's poured it's then covered to try keep some heat in and stop the water in the mix freezing before the concrete sets. They can also add additives to the mix to accelerate the curing process. Depends how desperate they are  to get footers in and how much risk they want to take, like I said, it's not ideal but it can certainly be done successfully if need be.


oh right, fair enough thats good then because this added with pre poured footers should speed up the process, like i said im not very good with concrete and such i just thought because its lower than freezing it might not set properly. Like you said they may not wanna risk it and thought if footers cant go down this week, how about we do bits of landscaping now rather than later to free up time further down the line :) im sure they have it all under control and with a may opening, thats plenty of time :)
 
nodestinyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 22
Joined: January 2013
Location: Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 pm

andy_sj wrote:
You can still pour concrete in cold weather, ie. below freezing, its not ideal but can be done if it needs to. The concrete produces plenty of heat as it sets, usually once it's poured it's then covered to try keep some heat in and stop the water in the mix freezing before the concrete sets. They can also add additives to the mix to accelerate the curing process. Depends how desperate they are  to get footers in and how much risk they want to take, like I said, it's not ideal but it can certainly be done successfully if need be.


I went across to the local building company, big housing estate being built near me, you can't mix or pour concrete in the snow and frost, it causes it to not set correctly, get air pockets and to also go brittle.. there isn't an accelerant that can be added to make it set quicker, the only thing to use is heat. But since they would be pouring it into a hole, it would just crack around the moulds or whatever is used.
 
User avatar
sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 769
Joined: December 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:34 pm

nodestinyx wrote:
andy_sj wrote:
You can still pour concrete in cold weather, ie. below freezing, its not ideal but can be done if it needs to. The concrete produces plenty of heat as it sets, usually once it's poured it's then covered to try keep some heat in and stop the water in the mix freezing before the concrete sets. They can also add additives to the mix to accelerate the curing process. Depends how desperate they are  to get footers in and how much risk they want to take, like I said, it's not ideal but it can certainly be done successfully if need be.


I went across to the local building company, big housing estate being built near me, you can't mix or pour concrete in the snow and frost, it causes it to not set correctly, get air pockets and to also go brittle.. there isn't an accelerant that can be added to make it set quicker, the only thing to use is heat. But since they would be pouring it into a hole, it would just crack around the moulds or whatever is used.

That isn't entirely true. You can pour special types of concrete with additives and they will set fine but you are right with pouring into a hole wouldn't work.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
 
User avatar
andy_sj
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 65
Joined: March 2009
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:46 pm

nodestinyx wrote:
andy_sj wrote:
You can still pour concrete in cold weather, ie. below freezing, its not ideal but can be done if it needs to. The concrete produces plenty of heat as it sets, usually once it's poured it's then covered to try keep some heat in and stop the water in the mix freezing before the concrete sets. They can also add additives to the mix to accelerate the curing process. Depends how desperate they are  to get footers in and how much risk they want to take, like I said, it's not ideal but it can certainly be done successfully if need be.


I went across to the local building company, big housing estate being built near me, you can't mix or pour concrete in the snow and frost, it causes it to not set correctly, get air pockets and to also go brittle.. there isn't an accelerant that can be added to make it set quicker, the only thing to use is heat. But since they would be pouring it into a hole, it would just crack around the moulds or whatever is used.


^ Like I said, pouring concrete in minus temperatures is perfectly possible, it just requires a little thought and preparation, there is additive you can put in the mix to accelerate it so don't listen to the builders you spoke too! They probably just don't know about it because it's not something they normally do. Anyway, like someone else said even if they are not pouring concrete there's other jobs that can be done in the meantime.

Looking forward to MI7's next flight!  :lol:
 
Markl6563
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 0
Joined: November 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

As a construction worker myself, It's mortar that can't be used in minus temperatures but concrete can, we use an additive called 'concure', it helps the concrete cure at low temperatures, down to about -3. I hope that clears it up for you.
 
User avatar
Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 430
Joined: June 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 pm

If Saw: The Ride's track took less than a month to put up then The Smiler's track shouldn't take much longer depending on weather. In the next update I don't think much more track will have gone up unless weather improves loads.

Anyway does anyone know how long Takabisha took to build as in how long track took to put up and all that? The only reason I ask is because there's a lot more track on that ride and I wonder if it took longer than what The Smiler's construction is taking.
Image

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4328
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Has anyone worked out when we should roughly expect to see things done by (given the new opening date)? Including the different stages of construction, so; landscaping, groundwork, track, buildings, theming, testing and how each stage takes approximately. As then at least that gives us something to go on.
Image
 
User avatar
Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 430
Joined: June 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:21 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Has anyone worked out when we should roughly expect to see things done by (given the new opening date)? Including the different stages of construction, so; landscaping, groundwork, track, buildings, theming, testing and how each stage takes approximately. As then at least that gives us something to go on.


Well I expect track and footers to have all been put up by the end of February at the earliest and at least two weeks into March at the latest. Saw: The Ride didn't take long at all to put up as in track and footers wise so really The Smiler should have gone up a lot quicker but due to weather issues and other delays everything is obviously a lot behind. Once they've finished track and footers I think they'd move onto adding all the theming elements in which shouldn't take too long - maybe a week at the latest.
Image

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!
 
Sam198
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 791
Joined: October 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
If Saw: The Ride's track took less than a month to put up then The Smiler's track shouldn't take much longer depending on weather. In the next update I don't think much more track will have gone up unless weather improves loads.

Anyway does anyone know how long Takabisha took to build as in how long track took to put up and all that? The only reason I ask is because there's a lot more track on that ride and I wonder if it took longer than what The Smiler's construction is taking.


Actually, Takabisha is a mere 3,280.8ft compared to the Smiler's 3,838.6ft. :)
 
User avatar
DoubleOh7
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 28
Joined: October 2012
Location: Button Moon

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Do we think The Smiler is going to be better than Takabisha? Ive seen videos of Takabisha on Youtube, it looks immense!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests