UK theme parks from another point of view!

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm

To be honest once all the footers have been laid (3weeks of good weather should do) the track will take another 2-3 weeks testing another 2 theming/ landscaping weeks 1 week installing and testing SE if there's us one I imagine everything will be done by 2nd week of April ready for 2 preview weekends for MAP owners with a full scale opening on 4/5/13 (fingers crossed)

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 am

Sam198 wrote:
Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
If Saw: The Ride's track took less than a month to put up then The Smiler's track shouldn't take much longer depending on weather. In the next update I don't think much more track will have gone up unless weather improves loads.

Anyway does anyone know how long Takabisha took to build as in how long track took to put up and all that? The only reason I ask is because there's a lot more track on that ride and I wonder if it took longer than what The Smiler's construction is taking.

Actually, Takabisha is a mere 3,280.8ft compared to the Smiler's 3,838.6ft. :)

Due to the incredible size of Takabisha and the height of it's inversions I thought it would have been longer.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:24 am

thillmad wrote:
JammyBand wrote:
Yeah, I reckon that they will need to finish all of the track and terrain first as the glass floor was meant to be over a main section of track, right?

I've never been to sure about that as if it is the washing machine is the SE the drum might have to be covered so the rotating hydroponics can work properly but I'm not to sure about this? 

Rotating.... Hydroponics?
You do realise that hydroponics is the study of growing plants in waters instead of soil?  :lol:
If you meant hydraulics,  you'd still be wrong as it will most likely be wheels or gears turning the SE
;)

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 am

Out of curiosity, is this the worlds first interlocking cobra roll and batwing on a coaster?

I'm interested to see if anywhere else has this type of element. I must say its a lot more eye catching and symbolic than I ever imagined it to be.
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 am

It is indeed the first time these elements have been interlocked to form a Staffordshire knot.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 am

sweedish2009 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is this the worlds first interlocking cobra roll and batwing on a coaster?

I'm interested to see if anywhere else has this type of element. I must say its a lot more eye catching and symbolic than I ever imagined it to be.

It is the first, however, I don't think this is what they'll market as a worlds first because the GP probably don't know the differences of inversion and it wouldn't have much pulling power :/ just my view

zippy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:37 am

Markl6563 wrote:
As a construction worker myself, It's mortar that can't be used in minus temperatures but concrete can, we use an additive called 'concure', it helps the concrete cure at low temperatures, down to about -3. I hope that clears it up for you.

If it only works down to -3 it wouldn't have helped much recently as temperatures have been lower than that.

I also work in construction, and am working on a project where the local building control won't allow concrete to be poured until the weather improves unless the area is heated. In a building that can be difficult enough to do, but on an exposed site like this it would be virtually impossible.

I am also led to believe that the additives that are commonly used in other countries aren't as readily available in the UK

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am

What's all this talk about Takabisha having more inversions than The Smiler? It only has seven? Can someone help me understand xD
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

camg98
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am

Go on the official Smiler website and it says it is opening in May 2013!
It changed to this on the weekend when the timer was removed.
Look at the key facts on this page - http://www.the-smiler.com/the-ride/

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm

camg98 wrote:
Go on the official Smiler website and it says it is opening in May 2013!
It changed to this on the weekend when the timer was removed.
Look at the key facts on this page - http://www.the-smiler.com/the-ride/

We've known for a while if you read back through the posts :)

Lotte
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:02 pm

zippy wrote:
Markl6563 wrote:
As a construction worker myself, It's mortar that can't be used in minus temperatures but concrete can, we use an additive called 'concure', it helps the concrete cure at low temperatures, down to about -3. I hope that clears it up for you.

If it only works down to -3 it wouldn't have helped much recently as temperatures have been lower than that.

I also work in construction, and am working on a project where the local building control won't allow concrete to be poured until the weather improves unless the area is heated. In a building that can be difficult enough to do, but on an exposed site like this it would be virtually impossible.

I am also led to believe that the additives that are commonly used in other countries aren't as readily available in the UK

It's not the air temp but ground temp where concrete is poured that is taken into consideration.Below a certain depth the ground temp stays the same through out the year.Being sub zero for weeks would not stop concrete being poured.I'm working for Mc Alpine in Hereford and concrete has been poured into pilings every day except christmas since the beginning of December
Last edited by Lotte on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhino18
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 pm

God, the nickname 'Staffordshire Knot', is truly, truly awful and patriotic. Probably made up by some fanboy.

PhNx Survivor wrote:
What's all this talk about Takabisha having more inversions than The Smiler? It only has seven? Can someone help me understand xD

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Smiler has 1 more confirmed inversion than Takabisha, making 8.

Phild94 wrote:
sweedish2009 wrote:

It is the first, however, I don't think this is what they'll market as a worlds first because the GP probably don't know the differences of inversion and it wouldn't have much pulling power :/ just my view

I agree, they won't. Even Alton aren't that thick to market what chavs would call 'loopty-loopz innit', as a world's first. Who would care that 2 differnt elements are just a bit closer to each other than on other coasters?

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
Sam198 wrote:
Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
If Saw: The Ride's track took less than a month to put up then The Smiler's track shouldn't take much longer depending on weather. In the next update I don't think much more track will have gone up unless weather improves loads.

Anyway does anyone know how long Takabisha took to build as in how long track took to put up and all that? The only reason I ask is because there's a lot more track on that ride and I wonder if it took longer than what The Smiler's construction is taking.

Actually, Takabisha is a mere 3,280.8ft compared to the Smiler's 3,838.6ft. :)

Due to the incredible size of Takabisha and the height of it's inversions I thought it would have been longer.

Yes, it looks like that, but if you think about Takabisha's layout - inversion after inversion - you'll realise Smiler's got many camelbacks and airtime hills between elements and a considerable portion is below to ground, with a drop of 30 m. Considering they both have long pre-lift sections, there really is not much in it. Only 170 m (557.7 ft).

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Alton towers just tweeted this picture showing another angle of construction

Source: https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/ ... 00/photo/1
Last edited by JayJay90 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm

That's a great image!

It really gives us an idea as to how the ride will look from inside X-Sector. :)

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Im guessing thats a few days old as most of the snow has been gone since Sunday. Also is that  the area where the van themeing will be?
Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Yes it'll be a few days old now since the rain, but like Sam says it does really give a sense of what the area will look like within Xsector. I like how open it seems already which will be much better once the plaza is completed. Makes x sector look so much bigger!

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:38 pm

We will get a great view if the Staffordshire knot but I don't think we will get a plaza, certainly not like in the plans or on the no limits recreation, we got a pit instead.

rhino18
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:
We will get a great view if the Staffordshire knot but I don't think we will get a plaza, certainly not like in the plans or on the no limits recreation, we got a pit instead.

Why not? It has been confirmed that there will be a shop and plaza beneath the ride and we didn't 'get a pit instead', as the pit was on the plans for the coaster. Of course there would be a pit. If there wasn't, there'd be no 30 m drop or vertical lift. Oh, and which recreation. There are LOADS around at the moment.

Also, does anyone know when MI7 will be up again, now that the snow has gone....

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:52 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:
Im guessing thats a few days old as most of the snow has been gone since Sunday. Also is that  the area where the van themeing will be?

Yes, the small grass island there will be a themeing element of the van.

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 pm

rhino18 wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:

Why not? It has been confirmed that there will be a shop and plaza beneath the ride and we didn't 'get a pit instead', as the pit was on the plans for the coaster. Of course there would be a pit. If there wasn't, there'd be no 30 m drop or vertical lift. Oh, and which recreation. There are LOADS around at the moment.

Also, does anyone know when MI7 will be up again, now that the snow has gone....

This image shows what I mean, I just can't imagine how they will be able to back fill this area to form a plaza. I hope I am wrong but I can't see how it will happen.