UK theme parks from another point of view!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:09 pm

rhino18 wrote:
sw7nutter wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
I actually hope there is no Secret Weapon element.

If there was it would just go to prove that the whole SW series have become a farce, little more than a gimmick addded to a standard coaster for the sake of it just for marketing purposes.

This is JW last coaster and I don't think he would make it a gimmick. If it is having a SE its going to really add to the ride experience or make the coaster what it is. He would never let his last coaster be a gimmick with a ride he would make it a mind blowing experience with a mind blowing ride.

Why wouldn't he make it a gimmick? He seems to have done that with pretty much every other ride he's ever designed. He's been semi-retired for years - and I highly doubt that he will sacrifice a gimmick, just to make enthusiasts happy.

JW doesn't put a gimmicks on his rides. Where is the gimmick on Nemesis and Oblivion. Anyway what i'm saying is that the SE would add to the ride and not take over the ride like thirteen. He may have been semi retired but as this is his last I would like to think he's put a bit more effort into it and truley make it world beating.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 pm

sw7nutter wrote:
How many trains will there be? 
going that there will be 4 there locations will be:
chain lift 1
chain lift 2
offloading

Would this be correct to maximum throughput and would the SE upset that?

I think there might be an moving platform like saw wher ther will be 3 trains in the staion loading/unloading, one on transfer track and possibly one on the brake run, one on each of the lift hills - 6/7 on the track at once

Lotte
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Hmv wrote:
X sector was already the most power cut prone area in the park so the smiler would have just tipped it over the edge on the existing electrics. So a new sub station was vital to say the least.

The quote I heard was Smiler was to have its own sub station not x sector

Epsilon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Kenzie2012 wrote:
The Earl wrote:
In my opinion i don't think there's any room inside that building for any sort of secret element, i think people are just wishful  thinking, or speculating, but looking to much into it, taking it as gospel that it will happen, which although that might not be the intention, to me it comes across in that way.

I think the whole "Worlds first" business has been sat in front of us the whole time, but not as clear as it could of been. We've spoke about the inversion record, and i'am thinking this is more likely than anything in the way of a "Secret element".

The plans put in front of us at the beginning of 2012 showed a few transitions after the interlocks, i feel that how they look on the plans they would be pretty uncomfortable to ride at such a high speed. I'am going to say they could be inversions but just not shown on the plans, after all, people did say that the actual finished product could differ slightly from what we see in the designs.

Also, posted not long back was an image of the two main drops after the lift hills, but the drops wasn't your standard type, they were inverting drops, therefore adding yet another two inversions to the 8 we originally expected.

Don't shoot me down as this is just my opinion on what i think we will see.  :D

I just can't disagree with you there at all tbh... So far this build has taken a look of "let's go mental!!" And I can fully see the inversions going through the roof. That said I still think we will be seeing something else with that too.

Matthewr1990 wrote:
Isn't the sub station to help with the over all running of X-sector. With oblivion, enterprise, submission and Smiler running at full capacity, as well as the theming and even the Rehydrator it's going to use quite a bit of power?

It could well be, I'm sure they'll will have incorporated that into the design of mate. But let's not forget, there was previously 2 rollercoasters and 2 flats operating in X-Sextor perfectly fine without the need of a sub station.
What's changed!?!? 

Also, if you don't know already, there's a rumour that the floor of the shop will be glass, so you can actually look down upon the secret element...

kierannewcombe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:46 pm

The glass floor would be quite a nifty edition but how would they show the element if it is the washing machine as rumored?

Credit to Lewis97

Hmv
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Lotte wrote:
Hmv wrote:
X sector was already the most power cut prone area in the park so the smiler would have just tipped it over the edge on the existing electrics. So a new sub station was vital to say the least.

I've seen the substation myself, it was on the back of a truck at the time lol, but by the size of it I don't think it will be powering just one ride. If it is powering one ride then there must be some huge power consumer we don't know about, so maybe your right if the secret element is large but I suppose we won't know till opening day :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:41 pm

kierannewcombe wrote:
The glass floor would be quite a nifty edition but how would they show the element if it is the washing machine as rumored?

The glass floor would be in the shop, as said, which will be above the curving track after the drop out of the station, not above the SE, which would be under the maintenance building, if anywhere.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:24 pm

I would like to just add, after looking at a previous post, that a track that tilts downwards from the back to line up with the hill to launch would not work. The track starts too low at the bottom of the hill, so there would be no room for the track to tilt 45 degrees. Also, if you look on the plans, you can clearly see a curved hill bottom, so that eliminates that possibility. Sorry mate.

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

See the secret item will be something similar to the washing machine, it is because the element of thirteen secret was known before being officially released so prepare because after the first fall, we will see something amazing and to John Wardley designed for time.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Hmv wrote:
Lotte wrote:
Hmv wrote:

I've seen the substation myself, it was on the back of a truck at the time lol, but by the size of it I don't think it will be powering just one ride. If it is powering one ride then there must be some huge power consumer we don't know about, so maybe your right if the secret element is large but I suppose we won't know till opening day :)

If it is LSM launch, which I'm convinced it is, the need for a substation does not surprise me.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 pm

I have just been watching the POV of takashiba and saw the luanch that it first has. I then compared it to the track that Theme Park Escape posted on facebook a few days ago and the track with the 1 long brake fin with the rectanglar style box that ran down the left of the track was almost identical to that of takashiba's. The brakes have 2 fins on the track. I think we may be looking at further evidence that there is a luanch!

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 pm

I think it might be in the shot, but I doubt it because the Eurofighters used magnetic brakes and launch, which is a brake creeo or may be a small initial release from the station to the secret element, launch abroad will not see so see is a chain lift.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 pm

I do apolagise everybody, Falsae alarm... my eyes were playing up as there are two thick fins. the single fins are breaks i think as seen on 'Euro-fighter' at zoosafari in italy

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:24 am

sw7nutter wrote:
How many trains will there be? 
going that there will be 4 there locations will be:
chain lift 1
chain lift 2
offloading

Would this be correct to maximum throughput and would the SE upset that?

Wasn't there a quote saying that there will be 64 riders on that track at a time, so that would mean 4 trains on the ride at any given time, plus other trains loading and unloading. If that is the case then that would suggest to me that there will be one train just leaving the station, one train just coming back into the station and one train on each lift hill, which would suggest that there is some sort of pre-show before the first lift hill. Whether or not that is the "Washing Machine" element though remains to be seen.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liam-AltonTowers
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:20 am

So we've seen from that picture of Oblivion being re-painted that obviously the Oblivion re-paint is coming along quite well so doesn't this mean that The Smiler construction should have moved on quite a lot too? Because if they've got time to re-paint Oblivion then they'll have time to put up track for The Smiler. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see in the next update.

Credit to Lewis97, thanks for the amazing signature!

King Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 am

Or Feb Half Term..
Only two weeks away...

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:52 am

Liam-AltonTowers wrote:
So we've seen from that picture of Oblivion being re-painted that obviously the Oblivion re-paint is coming along quite well so doesn't this mean that The Smiler construction should have moved on quite a lot too? Because if they've got time to re-paint Oblivion then they'll have time to put up track for The Smiler. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see in the next update.

The oblivion repaint doesn't mean much at all towards The Smiler construction, they will be 2 different projects by 2 different teams of people probably with 2 different companies managing them and you have to remember that section of track is (near) vertical so there wont have been much snow that could stick to it so we will have to wait and see....
What i would love to see in the next pic........ (which i hope is VERY soon seeing as we've been waiting for 2 weeks
for an update and it's killing me :P)

Footer holes dug at the top end, the footers at the staffs knot end with at least supports in them and a fabricated building would be nice, anything more would be a bonus :D
Last edited by Phild94 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:12 pm

I reckon a lot of ground work will have been done, this could include a lot of footers in the middle section of the ride, and the top end of the ride, I am also wondering if supports for the first lift will be going in either now or soon? This would be nice.

I hope a few more supports are down, especially just after the knot, and perhaps we'll be able to see the spider waiting to be put up maybe? Fingers crossed :P Building wise, I think there will either be more steel work gone up, especially the shop area, and above the underground barrel roll, and perhaps steelwork of the maintenance building has begun now? Can't wait for update, hope it's soon :3
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:
I reckon a lot of ground work will have been done, this could include a lot of footers in the middle section of the ride, and the top end of the ride, I am also wondering if supports for the first lift will be going in either now or soon? This would be nice.

I hope a few more supports are down, especially just after the knot, and perhaps we'll be able to see the spider waiting to be put up maybe? Fingers crossed :P Building wise, I think there will either be more steel work gone up, especially the shop area, and above the underground barrel roll, and perhaps steelwork of the maintenance building has begun now? Can't wait for update, hope it's soon :3

I reckon there won't be any steelwork for maintenance, a nice big concrete bed along with 2 shipping containers would do the job nicely and hiding something in a shipping container is nice and easy for any SE

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 pm

Phild94 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:

I reckon there won't be any steelwork for maintenance, a nice big concrete bed along with 2 shipping containers would do the job nicely and hiding something in a shipping container is nice and easy for any SE

Ah, but quite a while ago I posted a reply on the old construction page saying the shop should be containers like SAW and Th13teen... Then Boz replied with "there are no shipping containers on the site", although I do agree with you, containers should be put up for the maintenance and SE, and like you said, it would be really easy.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”