UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ripraw
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 pm

I hope Alton Towers are aware of the very serious guest problem the installation of this roller coaster will cause, because if not, the opening day could be extremely embarrassing for both AT and the guests, in front of probably the worlds press!

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm

We know it is (word beating) now only need the  world first. By fine will be that of the smiler advert will be so mad Nose which saw a post saying that the smiler is going to be stand-up roller coaster middle and wood will ..
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 pm

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/updates/full2.jpg

What is that silo buried in the ground under the crane/concrete pourer arm..

jb19852
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Evostance wrote:

Hmmmm, could it be for fire effects? We know Merlin like them from The Swarm.

getothing wrote:
We know it is (word beating) now only need the  world first. By fine will be that of the smiler advert will be so mad Nose which saw a post saying that the smiler is going to be stand-up roller coaster middle and wood will ..

I am sorry , my english is not the best, but what the hell is your post meant to mean? It un-readable

mattallennet
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Hiding extra inversions gave AT the extra time they needed to go for the inversions record (other parks have announced record attempts this year, have they not?). Allowing speculation of a SE regardless of existence does distract everyone from this probable attempt at the inversion record

Storm
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:11 pm

how bout this for an idea.... world first is the interactive game + ride? just a thought

mattallennet
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Just came back from a visit to Adventure Island today, I had forgotten how compact the Eurofighter cars and tracks can be! It has reminded me of the sheer scale of this AT project! I noticed that Rage looks like it was just chucked together in a day, pretty much a pre-fab just bolted to some concrete blocks. Only 1 car of 4x2 on today but it was emptied, loaded and dispatched in about 60 seconds each time (with seat belts too, don't think The Smiler will have these - Saw doesn't). That reassures me that dispatching will be quick. Saw loads quite quickly i think. Also the cars are so compact that the station platform doesn't need to be huge. What did worry me today was that Rage is so rough, the OTSRs are painful - I sincerely hope and expect The Smiler to be 10x better for comfort alone!

barmy_scotty
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Has any one noticed the track still in the bottom of the pit on its tod?
J01N U5.... Y0U W1LL 5M173.....

Y0U B370NG T0 TH3 5M1L3R

5M1L3!!!

ALWAY5

walshawblue
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Evostance wrote:

Those were near the toilet block on a photo earlier ,we thought they were cess tanks from the toilets.Seems we were wrong in a big way,Whatever they are will be intereating to find out .

peter150496
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Evostance wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a waste silo. it look like ground waste pipe running from then running toward the station.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 pm

peter150496 wrote:

Evostance wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a waste silo. it look like ground waste pipe running from then running toward the station.

Hmm, what's it's use?

Theres another one up by the Goal Game here that hasn't been installed yet..:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/updates/full1.jpg

I don't think its got anything to do with the toilets, its too far away

M3tabolic
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 pm

I have a feeling I experience 'roughness' of rides differently to most people. There are often comments about SAW being rough... and now Rage too. Having been on both several times and also Speed at Oakwood, I had never considered any of the Eurofighters rough or uncomfortable at all.

Corkscrew was fairly rough towards the end of its life... and Black Hole gave a fair few jolts too (especially the brake section at the end). I also find the first banked turn on Rita a bit rough, while Stealth by comparison is fine.

Similarly if a ride is too smooth I find I enjoy it less. Air was a unique experience when I went on it the first time, but every subsequent time it feels too smooth and tame.

Linking this into the construction, The cobra and batwing are actually both fairly wide arcs compared to most other elements of this type on other coasters, so I think these will be pretty smooth, and perhaps the larger trains with probably fairly decent suspension (Which Gerst have apparently improved recently on newer trains) will handle them well. I think the Sea serpent/dives will also be fairly large. The only tight looking turns on this ride seem to be lower velocity heartlines etc, so I think roughness might be minimised.

Even if it does turn out to be rough though, I reckon people should man up and enjoy the ride love.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:52 pm

peter150496 wrote:

Evostance wrote:

Wrong shape for toilet waste.... A toilet block of that size would go to a mains... its too far away from thew toilet and who intheir right mind would put a waste silo in the middle of a ride ??

It looks more to me like a compressed air tank commonly used in coasters - Which again, would make sense as its next to the 2nd lifthill..

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 pm

clayj wrote:
peter150496 wrote:

Evostance wrote:

Wrong shape for toilet waste.... A toilet block of that size would go to a mains... its too far away from thew toilet and who intheir right mind would put a waste silo in the middle of a ride ??

It looks more to me like a compressed air tank commonly used in coasters - Which again, would make sense as its next to the 2nd lifthill..

Not convinced either.  Look at the other photos, you can see an orange pipe going from the tank pretty much all the way to the first lift hill

ry1996
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm

There doesnt seem to be any footers in at all for the two drops and lift hills yet..

peter150496
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Evostance wrote:
clayj wrote:
peter150496 wrote:

Evostance wrote:

Not convinced either.  Look at the other photos, you can see an orange pipe going from the tank pretty much all the way to the first lift hill

fair enough.

mattallennet
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Yes, peoples' perceptions of rough rides do vary. I will happily 'man up' and enjoy a ride even if it is rough. I like rides that are quite aggressive. I think Saw has it about right on that front. My main complaints with Rage being 'rough' are that the ride shakes and shudders a fair bit - and that the restraints feel rock hard and leave me with bruised shoulders. Slightly softer restraints and a less 'shaky' ride for The Smiler and I'm happy. Don't take the energy out of the twists and turns though!
Last edited by mattallennet on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 pm

:P
ry1996 wrote:
There doesnt seem to be any footers in at all for the two drops and lift hills yet..

Pretty much all the footers in the central section are cast into large concrete block forms. As you can see they are laying the reinforced bar before pouring more conrete into the pre formed sections.

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

M3tabolic
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 pm

I imagine the reason the trench hasn't been dug yet for the vertical lift hill is that access has been required for constructing the top section over the toilets (being erected at the moment).

Once the two first drops are complete, I think they'll get the heavy machinery out of the way and then begin digging the trench as they'll no longer need access for those vehicles.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 pm

clayj wrote:
peter150496 wrote:

Evostance wrote:

A quick Google suggests its either a 'soil' pipe or some form of gas like, hydrogen, oxygen etc