UK theme parks from another point of view!

ry1996
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 pm

clayj wrote:
:P
ry1996 wrote:
There doesnt seem to be any footers in at all for the two drops and lift hills yet..

Pretty much all the footers in the central section are cast into large concrete block forms. As you can see they are laying the reinforced bar before pouring more conrete into the pre formed sections.

Yes but there isnt any footers going up the hill towards the top for any drops or the lift hills, not at the bottom half

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:10 pm

So the tank could be for an effect in The Marmaliser's leg...

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Evostance wrote:
clayj wrote:
peter150496 wrote:

Evostance wrote:
http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/updates/full2.jpg

What is that silo buried in the ground under the crane/concrete pourer arm..

I'm pretty sure it's a waste silo. it look like ground waste pipe running from then running toward the station.

Wrong shape for toilet waste.... A toilet block of that size would go to a mains... its too far away from thew toilet and who intheir right mind would put a waste silo in the middle of a ride ??

It looks more to me like a compressed air tank commonly used in coasters - Which again, would make sense as its next to the 2nd lifthill..

A quick Google suggests its either a 'soil' pipe or some form of gas like, hydrogen, oxygen etc

After looking more at the 2nd HiRes photo uploaded tonight, its now clear to me that it is something to do with the drainage. As you can clearly see the the silver gully which also creates the sections of concrete slab.

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

mitchellcollier
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

This silo is also close to where the 'Spider' is going to be, maybe its something to do with this ?

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 pm

I think the steel frame work going up over the toilets looks shocking!!
It looks messy! I wonder if its actually full needed or if its cosmetic partly!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Kenzie2012 wrote:

Please tell me that was sarcasm? Course its needed - they wouldn't just waste materials just for cosmetic reasons when it comes to this type of build. It doesn't look amazing, but its needed.

Fishfingerish
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Oooh Kensie!

To you maybe, but to others a giant mass of twisted steel like that!

Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Kenzie2012 wrote:

Please tell me that was sarcasm? Course its needed - they wouldn't just waste materials just for cosmetic reasons when it comes to this type of build. It doesn't look amazing, but its needed.

Me? Sarcasm? Never!!

I honestly don't see why it has had to take such a shape!?!? It just doesn't look in any way straight forward. It's almost as if they've worked backwards on the principle of "what's the easiest way to do this build!?!" And decided to be as complex as possible!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”

RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Kenzie2012 wrote:
Kenzie2012 wrote:

Me? Sarcasm? Never!!

I honestly don't see why it has had to take such a shape!?!? It just doesn't look in any way straight forward. It's almost as if they've worked backwards on the principle of "what's the easiest way to do this build!?!" And decided to be as complex as possible!

Did you notice there is a building in the way? These supports had to be like this or els they aren't strong enough. Believe me when it comes to supports for roller coasters they won't go for pretty, they go for cheap and strong supports.  :roll:

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 pm

I did, but clearly you missed the fact that the building gave them a perfect shell to work around. Why they didn't create a box around the toilets and then branch supports off is what I don't get. It's just a mess and I can only see it getting worse when the rest are finished

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Kenzie2012 wrote:
Kenzie2012 wrote:

Me? Sarcasm? Never!!

The issue is that the toilet block serves a pressing need to that side of the park. Theres nowhere else readily available so they have had to build the ride over it. In a perfect world they could have relocated the toilets which would have free'd the land up for a more straight forward supports

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

sixstringhotshot88
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 pm

more steel the better iMO. i'd rather it be a nice sturdy structure underneath me when i'm riding.

RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Kenzie2012 wrote:
I did, but clearly you missed the fact that the building gave them a perfect shell to work around. Why they didn't create a box around the toilets and then branch supports off is what I don't get. It's just a mess and I can only see it getting worse when the rest are finished

Again they go for the cheapest option. Parks and manufactures are not interested in a nice view of the supports but for good cheap supports. I have to agree its a mess but it has it reasons. Believe me. ;) 

Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Infact, I actually think its going to be one of the ugliest coasters for supports ever!!!!

Yeah that's right, I said it  ;)

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Just in case people have missed the facebook posting, the full resolution images taken today can be viewed at the below address:

http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/the-smiler/towerstimes-the-smiler-high-res-thank-you-210213/

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:17 am

1st inversion highlighted...

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

tigzie1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

Anyone know what this is for? It's been there since it snowed ont he original High rez images and is still there on the new ones.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 am

Can just make out the inside inversion a little better if you looking in between station sections.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 am

Well... high resolution photo 6 shows clearly that framework for maintenance building is now in construction :D

*bottom right*
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:32 am

Top section...

I think from lift hill to 1st drop after lift hill is self explanitory regarding the inversion... But when you look after the drop from the second lift hill (vertical) and follow the plates on the supports from 1, 2, 3, then, oh look, 4 is past horizontal... Another diving drop ?

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ