UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 309
Joined: October 2012
Location: Stafford/Wolverhampton

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Evostance wrote:
Krazycoaster wrote:
Here's some of the new construction pics:
Image
Image
Image

What is the middle one..


the one in the middle is from the bottom of the site looking up so its looking at half of the interlocking batwing cobra roll to the top of the site

construction really is picking up now!!! once this end is up, im sure that the footers will be ready in the middle of the site ready for the next load of track to be installed. This is where it gets interesting as we will start to see the new layout develop :)

Either they're going to construct the lift hills next OR the middle of the site...
 
User avatar
GoldWolf
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 42
Joined: February 2012
Location: Staffordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I actually can not wait for this to open omg.

What is the current inversion record for a roller coaster? Because The Smiler will have 14 inversions (which is shown in the mobile app). If this ride is the roller coaster with the most inversions it can be counted as a world-beating AND worlds first roller coaster. World-beating because it beats other inversion records, and worlds first because it is the worlds first 14 inversion roller coaster.

Going back to construction, it will be interesting to see whether 'the marmaliser' theming will be installed before or after the ride parts. To me it only seems logical to install it before. Either way, it's going to slow the rate of construction from its current rate.
 
RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 12
Joined: January 2013
Location: Netherlands

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:31 pm

GoldWolf wrote:
I actually can not wait for this to open omg.

What is the current inversion record for a roller coaster? Because The Smiler will have 14 inversions (which is shown in the mobile app). If this ride is the roller coaster with the most inversions it can be counted as a world-beating AND worlds first roller coaster. World-beating because it beats other inversion records, and worlds first because it is the worlds first 14 inversion roller coaster.

Going back to construction, it will be interesting to see whether 'the marmaliser' theming will be installed before or after the ride parts. To me it only seems logical to install it before. Either way, it's going to slow the rate of construction from its current rate.

The current record is for Colossus in Thrope Park. So doesn't go to far away as Journey to the Stars (11) is still hasn't opened yet (Asian location). So Still 10 is the record. ;)
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4354
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

GoldWolf wrote:
I actually can not wait for this to open omg.

What is the current inversion record for a roller coaster? Because The Smiler will have 14 inversions (which is shown in the mobile app). If this ride is the roller coaster with the most inversions it can be counted as a world-beating AND worlds first roller coaster. World-beating because it beats other inversion records, and worlds first because it is the worlds first 14 inversion roller coaster.

Going back to construction, it will be interesting to see whether 'the marmaliser' theming will be installed before or after the ride parts. To me it only seems logical to install it before. Either way, it's going to slow the rate of construction from its current rate.


The current inversion record is 10 inversions, and held by Colossus at Thorpe Park, and there's a duplicate of it somewhere else. However, a park in China is set to open an 11 inversion coaster this year, so 12 would be the minimum number of inversions The Smiler needs, and I'm pretty confident it will reach and even surpass that.

EDIT: Beaten to it!
Image
 
User avatar
mikey_mcl
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 19
Joined: January 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:35 pm

GoldWolf wrote:
I actually can not wait for this to open omg.

What is the current inversion record for a roller coaster? Because The Smiler will have 14 inversions (which is shown in the mobile app). If this ride is the roller coaster with the most inversions it can be counted as a world-beating AND worlds first roller coaster. World-beating because it beats other inversion records, and worlds first because it is the worlds first 14 inversion roller coaster.

Going back to construction, it will be interesting to see whether 'the marmaliser' theming will be installed before or after the ride parts. To me it only seems logical to install it before. Either way, it's going to slow the rate of construction from its current rate.


They will more than likely construct the track, and then the marmaliser around it. Then there will be heavy amount of clearance testing around that particular area, and the rest of the track.
 
User avatar
Evostance
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 535
Joined: January 2005

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:41 pm

GoldWolf wrote:

What is the current inversion record for a roller coaster? Because The Smiler will have 14 inversions (which is shown in the mobile app). If this ride is the roller coaster with the most inversions it can be counted as a world-beating AND worlds first roller coaster. World-beating because it beats other inversion records, and worlds first because it is the worlds first 14 inversion roller coaster.



This is what I've been saying all along,  hence why I don't think there is any washing machine or gimmick.

I know alton has been a test bed for new elements these past years (oblivion, air, 13) but I think this will just be a rollercoaster.
 
tigzie1
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3
Joined: February 2013
Location: Derby

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:46 pm

RCT3Bross wrote:
aircanman wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
aircanman wrote:
As people are saying the lift hills are inverted, could the 'washing machine' element be right in front of the lift hills?  There could even be two of them, so just before you reach the chain, the train stops in the element, and it starts to spin, and when the car stops upside down, it makes riders think (marmalises) that the coaster has done something wrong, as it continues to lift them inverted.

Who told you the lifts are inverted? That isn't even healthy. The hills are both normal one on a 45 degree angle and the other on a 90 degree angle. :roll: They both make a small drop in the top and than both make a inversion that ends in the drop. :roll:


It looks like you posted this in the last page ....

" It really gets me how many people have noticed that the drop after the vertical lift is a inverted drop in the same shocked way. I mean that fact is like a 100 times mentioned as a inverted drop. But not only that part, there are many other parts which crack my head open because they mention something told like a 1000 times as: Some shocking discovery they made. It just gives me the feeling they never read any post then replies on theirs. Sometimes it just really no trouble at all to find out that it was discovered. "

Yeah I mention the inverted drop.  But I really see nothing about a inverted hill in that post. Or you try to make an other point which I can't see. :| (Cause I didn't say: Look I looks like both drops get inverted drops that's new. :roll:)


Well if you look at the proposed area for the lift hill both ends are inverted, so it does make sense to have an inverted lift hill. Secondly the planning permission has changed! and they don't need to submit new plans also just because the game goes up normally doesn't mean the coaster will.
 
jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 112
Joined: October 2008

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:48 pm

I took some photos today, they don't really add much to anything and they arent great but I thought that they were worth an upload anyway! To see the high track of The Smiler is really good from other ends of the park although it does cover Oblivion!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4354
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:50 pm

tigzie1 wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
aircanman wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
aircanman wrote:
As people are saying the lift hills are inverted, could the 'washing machine' element be right in front of the lift hills?  There could even be two of them, so just before you reach the chain, the train stops in the element, and it starts to spin, and when the car stops upside down, it makes riders think (marmalises) that the coaster has done something wrong, as it continues to lift them inverted.

Who told you the lifts are inverted? That isn't even healthy. The hills are both normal one on a 45 degree angle and the other on a 90 degree angle. :roll: They both make a small drop in the top and than both make a inversion that ends in the drop. :roll:


It looks like you posted this in the last page ....

" It really gets me how many people have noticed that the drop after the vertical lift is a inverted drop in the same shocked way. I mean that fact is like a 100 times mentioned as a inverted drop. But not only that part, there are many other parts which crack my head open because they mention something told like a 1000 times as: Some shocking discovery they made. It just gives me the feeling they never read any post then replies on theirs. Sometimes it just really no trouble at all to find out that it was discovered. "

Yeah I mention the inverted drop.  But I really see nothing about a inverted hill in that post. Or you try to make an other point which I can't see. :| (Cause I didn't say: Look I looks like both drops get inverted drops that's new. :roll:)


Well if you look at the proposed area for the lift hill both ends are inverted, so it does make sense to have an inverted lift hill. Secondly the planning permission has changed! and they don't need to submit new plans also just because the game goes up normally doesn't mean the coaster will.


The two inverted ends are for separate pieces of track, and are for the two lift hills, so that both have an inverted drop. The lift hills themselves will not be inverted, as that would be extremely uncomfortable, also you can't have an inverted vertical lift hill ;)
Image
 
RobJackson85
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 29
Joined: January 2013

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:52 pm

tigzie1 wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
aircanman wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
aircanman wrote:
As people are saying the lift hills are inverted, could the 'washing machine' element be right in front of the lift hills?  There could even be two of them, so just before you reach the chain, the train stops in the element, and it starts to spin, and when the car stops upside down, it makes riders think (marmalises) that the coaster has done something wrong, as it continues to lift them inverted.

Who told you the lifts are inverted? That isn't even healthy. The hills are both normal one on a 45 degree angle and the other on a 90 degree angle. :roll: They both make a small drop in the top and than both make a inversion that ends in the drop. :roll:


It looks like you posted this in the last page ....

" It really gets me how many people have noticed that the drop after the vertical lift is a inverted drop in the same shocked way. I mean that fact is like a 100 times mentioned as a inverted drop. But not only that part, there are many other parts which crack my head open because they mention something told like a 1000 times as: Some shocking discovery they made. It just gives me the feeling they never read any post then replies on theirs. Sometimes it just really no trouble at all to find out that it was discovered. "

Yeah I mention the inverted drop.  But I really see nothing about a inverted hill in that post. Or you try to make an other point which I can't see. :| (Cause I didn't say: Look I looks like both drops get inverted drops that's new. :roll:)


Well if you look at the proposed area for the lift hill both ends are inverted, so it does make sense to have an inverted lift hill. Secondly the planning permission has changed! and they don't need to submit new plans also just because the game goes up normally doesn't mean the coaster will.


No there not. They are the start of the drops. It doesn't make any sense to have an inverted lift. It'd be too uncomfortable being hung upside down for a prolonged period of time.

*EDIT - post above say the same thing.
http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s
 
tigzie1
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3
Joined: February 2013
Location: Derby

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Wondering though? Is there any way of them doing a spiral while lifting up to meet the drop point? like a barrel roll style? Alton Towers have come up with the worlds first moving track (13) So im pretty confident when I say they will use the washing machine element as the track will be moving more than upwards and downwards. Pretty impressive stuff if they can get it to work.
 
User avatar
TomL
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 300
Joined: November 2012
Location: Wirral
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I would have though it would be quite dangerous because in the case of an emergency stop, you could be facing the wrong way or inverted making a very difficult rescue...
 
RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 12
Joined: January 2013
Location: Netherlands

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Here a good shot of how the Inverted drops are going to be:
Image
So Lift (normal not inverted not even the end) pre-drop into the inverted drop. ;)
 
User avatar
Boz
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 0
Joined: February 2014
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

RCT3Bross wrote:
Here a good shot of how the Inverted drops are going to be:
Image
So Lift (normal not inverted not even the end) pre-drop into the inverted drop. ;)


Other way round buddy ;)
 
User avatar
bealyboy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 24
Joined: November 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:16 pm

I know I'm going to sound stupid but just to make it clear is it 14 inversions with the washing machine or has that whole idea been scrapped..
Sorry to be annoying
SMILE.ALWAYS
 
jrch123
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2
Joined: November 2012
Location: nottingham

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 pm

I had thought he had got them right, Boz?
 
RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 12
Joined: January 2013
Location: Netherlands

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Boz wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
Here a good shot of how the Inverted drops are going to be:
Image
So Lift (normal not inverted not even the end) pre-drop into the inverted drop. ;)


Other way round buddy ;)

Where did you get that idea from? Look at the top of lift one that's much higher. ;) And the game preview? It shows that you exit the inverted drop and dive towards the 8 shaped inversion. I mean it isn't that hard when you look at it and perhaps take a look at the plans the vertical lift turn goes further than than lift 1 and goes under it.
 
ManiaMuse
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 26
Joined: September 2010

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 pm

GoldWolf wrote:
I actually can not wait for this to open omg.

What is the current inversion record for a roller coaster? Because The Smiler will have 14 inversions (which is shown in the mobile app). If this ride is the roller coaster with the most inversions it can be counted as a world-beating AND worlds first roller coaster. World-beating because it beats other inversion records, and worlds first because it is the worlds first 14 inversion roller coaster.

Going back to construction, it will be interesting to see whether 'the marmaliser' theming will be installed before or after the ride parts. To me it only seems logical to install it before. Either way, it's going to slow the rate of construction from its current rate.

According to the Guiness Book of Records Eejanaika has the record with 14 inversions (4D coaster in Japan).

Although it seems a bit of a silly record as they count the number of times the track inverts as well as the seats flipping even though it looks like you actually only go upside down 3 or 4 times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egy_uL9CS8Q

Maybe Alton Towers are going for 15 if a sneaky barrel roll midway/at the end exists as some have suggested above?
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4354
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:20 pm

bealyboy wrote:
I know I'm going to sound stupid but just to make it clear is it 14 inversions with the washing machine or has that whole idea been scrapped..
Sorry to be annoying


The 'washing machine' was never confirmed, and neither has 14 inversions, they are both rumours. However, the way things are starting to look, it would seem that we're on for 14 inversions.

Boz wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
Here a good shot of how the Inverted drops are going to be:
Image
So Lift (normal not inverted not even the end) pre-drop into the inverted drop. ;)


Other way round buddy ;)


Boz, I think you're wrong!  8-[
Image
 
User avatar
Boz
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 0
Joined: February 2014
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:20 pm

RCT3Bross wrote:
Boz wrote:
RCT3Bross wrote:
Here a good shot of how the Inverted drops are going to be:
Image
So Lift (normal not inverted not even the end) pre-drop into the inverted drop. ;)


Other way round buddy ;)

Where did you get that idea from? Look at the top of lift one that's much higher. ;) And the game preview? It shows that you exit the inverted drop and dive towards the 8 shaped inversion. I mean it isn't that hard when you look at it and perhaps take a look at the plans the vertical lift turn goes further than than lift 1 and goes under it.

Begging your pardon, I ain't got my glasses on and thought that was one of towers' pics, taken from the other side  :oops:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests