UK theme parks from another point of view!

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 pm

John Wardley said the second lift will be vertical. That pretty much confirms it. He's John Wardley.

Jacob Kenyon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:03 pm

I really can't wait to try out the smiler it looks like its going to be a great coaster and by looking at the construction pictures I just can't wait. It looks like there is plenty inversions which is great and one if the hills is vertical which also adds more fun to the coaster. So overall it's sounds great and can't wait to ride it later in the year  :lol:

The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:03 pm

spin_doctor wrote:
John Wardley said the second lift will be vertical. That pretty much confirms it. He's John Wardley.

And he's not known for having a little fun with the community?

At the end of the day I'm not saying its not going to be, but at the moment the ground work doesn't support it!
I WILL be back

MI7
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:10 pm

M3tabolic wrote:
Element 115 wrote:
very unlikely but just throwing this out there :

what if you began to climb up the first lift hill and at about the halfway point the train stops and you hear the sound of chains snapping, then the train falls down the lift hill backwards before being launched up to the top and continuing along the rest of the track

once again very unlikely due to train timing issues etc but would be awesome if you weren't expecting it

also would this feature count as a worlds first element?

That post should really be in the speculation topic, but it is a cool idea. There is a ride that has a 'snapping chain effect' on a lift hill (Big Grizzly Mountain @ Hong Kong Disneyland - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCH55433lbI)The ride also incorporates a launch. I don't think that it would be impossible to rig both parts up within the same track piece with a little ingenuity. I don't think this is planned for The Smiler though as it would not really fit with the theme. (eg. Why would the Correction Machine be broken?)

Javs wrote:
I know this is the construction topic, so I will start by saying how great it is to see the ride really taking shape.  But Oh My God, I have to say, this really could give the like of Maverick a run for its money in terms of ride thrills!  So far, this is the best looking rollercoaster that AT have installed since RITA!!!

Since RITA? I never considered Rita to be all that good to be honest! This has the potential to be a Nemesis-beater... (although Nemesis is such a one of a kind that I doubt this will happen... might be more of a Nemesis-equaller. :lol:)

Back on topic though - I trust construction is continuing at the weekends too at the moment? Is anyone on park today with any info?

Edit: Another thing, we keep mentioning the General Development Order that the park complies with... but does anyone know the *exact* terms of the GDO? What is the maximum height before it exceeds the GDO and then requires planning permission? Are there any other limitations it imposes apart from height?

Nothing major happening today. No track moving or erecting, just a little tinkering with a few men in a cherry picker today..
Mission Intelligence SW7 -  TowersTimes Commercial Airline Pilot

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:11 pm

The Terminator wrote:

At the end of the day I'm not saying its not going to be, but at the moment the ground work doesn't support it!

The theory on the lack of ground work is that they need to finish the top section before they excavate due to access. This is supported by the fact that the concrete walls are missing exactly where the footers are being poured in the concrete slab sections where the breakrun & Lift hill are going too be

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

The Terminator
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Access doesn't make sense as they can easily access next to the toilet block, and that particular channel will be the deepest excavation on the top end of the site so it would make more sense to of had it in by now.
To put that channel in, drainage etc and then footers it will take at least a fortnight, I personally would of thought that would of been a big priority seeing as a vertical lift will have a lot of mechanisms to wire in.
I WILL be back

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:31 pm

The Terminator wrote:
spin_doctor wrote:

I don't know mich about groundwork but Having fun with the community, and flat out lieing on broadcast radio are entirely seperate things. Especially if the lie is better than the reality, imagine if he said there was 25 inversions if there was actually 15. Wouldnt happen.

RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:45 pm

spin_doctor wrote:
The Terminator wrote:
spin_doctor wrote:

I don't know mich about groundwork but Having fun with the community, and flat out lieing on broadcast radio are entirely seperate things. Especially if the lie is better than the reality, imagine if he said there was 25 inversions if there was actually 15. Wouldnt happen.

He's pointing out that there is no trench on the spot where the Vertical hill will come. While you can see the start of the ground work they didn't do much because on that spot a lot of concrete wagons an such have stood there for the floor below so a trench already isn't quite handy. ;) (Also explains why we have a big path between the station footer and the two inverted drops footers. ;)) It just not handy to have all those footers in the way when you construct. :O

spin_doctor
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:49 pm

With all this concrete on show, it looks pretty dull, would it be out of the question to dump a bit of soil over it and do a bit of landscaping and turfing? Alton Towers is famous for its ground hugging rides, it would be a shame to have one resembling a car park coaster.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:52 pm

MI7 wrote:
Nothing major happening today. No track moving or erecting, just a little tinkering with a few men in a cherry picker today..

Anything worthy of a few pics ;) supports or anything?

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 pm

I took 2 or 3 pics bit like MI7 said nothing really happening.

Last edited by Roodlesnouter on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Th13TEENGUY
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Looks awsome  :D
LCFC til i die

lucy2244
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:30 pm

roodlesnouter wrote:
I took 2 or 3 pics bit like MI7 said nothing really happening.

I love the 2nd photo! it really puts things into perspective as to how big the smiler actually is and what a big feat it is to construct. How's oblivions paint job looking?

oliviamae
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:41 pm

lucy2244 wrote:
I love the 2nd photo! it really puts things into perspective as to how big the smiler actually is and what a big feat it is to construct. How's oblivions paint job looking?

It really is huge, I was quite taken aback by how massive it is

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 pm

John Wardley said in that interview that it was twice as big as Nemesis, I think that was an understatement.

tharrison4815
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:06 pm

I don't really know much about rollercoasters and I was hoping that someone could explain this to me. I saw these pieces of track on site today and some appear to have a male break system and some are female:

Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:07 pm

tharrison4815 wrote:
I don't really know much about rollercoasters and I was hoping that someone could explain this to me. I saw these pieces of track on site today and some appear to have a male break system and some are female:

what the hell is a male break system?

Nathan Clulow97
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 pm

If you look closely at them pictures there are now 7inversions built (bottom of page127)

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Instant Mix wrote:
tharrison4815 wrote:

what the hell is a male break system?

ahahahah I think he means some are magnetic and some are friction.

MI7
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:18 pm

oliviamae wrote:
lucy2244 wrote:

It really is huge, I was quite taken aback by how massive it is

Thats what she said..
Mission Intelligence SW7 -  TowersTimes Commercial Airline Pilot