UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Looks like someone's made a boo boo with the measurements.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:07 pm

It seems like it, as I doubt they intended to have to shave off part of the roof...

P.S. Like the effort to change the subject ;)

Darth_Daver
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:14 pm

I think that toilet block looks a bit ridiculous now which is a shame.  I would've liked them to knock down the toilet block and rebuild a new one that fits the theme and was built into the structure, thus eliminating that measuring error. 

Saying that, I suppose they are delayed enough with construction already...

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Rob-TT wrote:
Looks like someone's made a boo boo with the measurements.

Lets hope thats the only "boo boo" they make.

Osaka12
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Darth_Daver wrote:
I think that toilet block looks a bit ridiculous now which is a shame.  I would've liked them to knock down the toilet block and rebuild a new one that fits the theme and was built into the structure, thus eliminating that measuring error. 

I have to disagree here, It looks epic. Every consruction photo you have seen of the Smiler so far really does absolutely no justice to how IMMENSE this thing looks! You really won't care about any of the niggling details once you get up close to this thing. It's INSANE! and HUGE!

The support beds around the toilet block and the block itself are clean and finished with planting, paint, fencing and paving. Looks fine.

aldredd
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Darth_Daver wrote:

If there's nothing wrong with the toilet block, why waste time, money & resources knocking them down? Just wasteful & unnecessary. Of course, it's plausible the coaster will out live the toilet block (when was it built?), then of course the support layout will look odd, but hey, gives people something to discuss in 20 years time when they're debating why there is an unusual layout!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:51 pm

I know this is abit off topic but do you think when thorpe gets there 2015 coaster they will try and beat the smiler?

Credit to NemesisRider

CJH
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:58 pm

In a word no!

Thorpe had Colossus in 2001! Merlin wouldn't have allowed any of their other parks as they wouldn't want to overshadow one park!
It takes a few years to make the money spent back.
So 12 years down the line Alton is claiming the record but Merlin gets it back too, they already have the record why take it from themselves?
Chris 21 Manchester

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:05 pm

CJH wrote:
In a word no!

Thorpe had Colossus in 2001!

*2002, but yes your point is valid. There's no point in aiming to beat older rides all the time.

Future technology and ideas will dictate the 2015 coaster.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

Hmv
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:41 pm

They will wait till a coaster is made with a larger inversion record just like they have with the smiler beating colossus, but remember biggest isn't always best. A number of things are coming together to make the smiler look like a #1 ride not just the inversion count, so this could well mean Thorpe might make a better ride without all the inversions.

Deejay
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm really hoping that Merlin invest in a large scale RMC hybrid woodie for either Alton or Thorpe. Alton might be prepared to give these guys a go as they are making waves in America atm with Outlaw Run open and Iron Rattler (looks immense) just about finished. They could easily make a cross valley coaster and the GP + us enthusiasts <3 these Rocky Mountain coasters.

Back to the subject of toilets.....

It is funny that they have had to shave a little bit off the top of the bogs :) but I'm concerned that it may have happened elsewhere on the ride.

I believe it would have cost a lot more money to relocate the toilets than to build the complex support network surrounding it. It will be cool taking a pee and you hear the roar of the trains whizzing above your head!

I just hope they remove or cover the skylights in there or the people on the ride can have a right perve!!

P.S Its rumoured that TP are getting a Floorless B&M for their next coaster but really......no one knows yet other than the designers!

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Hmv wrote:
They will wait till a coaster is made with a larger inversion record just like they have with the smiler beating colossus, but remember biggest isn't always best. A number of things are coming together to make the smiler look like a #1 ride not just the inversion count, so this could well mean Thorpe might make a better ride without all the inversions.

This seems the most likely prospect however I do think that this ride could be a very intresting one especially as it is labeled as a new generation I ma slightly worried that their cutting roofs off not the best option but wouldnt it be funny if the secret element was the first roller coaster to observe nude peeps hahahhhahahah

Deejay
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Hmv wrote:

Thorpe improved their lineup with Swarm and more B&M's will help them in the long run. But I doub't anything that Alton do will be beaten by Thorpe. Alton has a better invert, launched Inamin and now a better Eurofighter! If AT do a wingrider im certain it too would be better!

Anyway why are we all talking about TP?????????

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Is it not slightly worrying that they have had to shave the roof of, what happens if the track doesn't align properly, even more delays  :?

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Today have a aerial update?
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 pm

James97 wrote:
Is it not slightly worrying that they have had to shave the roof of, what happens if the track doesn't align properly, even more delays  :?

They have to have extensive testing but it does seem strange, not encouraging for me to ride it. Also probally massively unlikely but it could be a publicity stunt to make people curious just ignore that rubbish idea :D

Roodlesnouter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 pm

getothing wrote:
Today have a aerial update?

No aerial update today. Plenty of ground level pics to enjoy from yesterday though  :D

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:20 pm

altontowersbarlow wrote:
...wouldnt it be funny if the secret element was the first roller coaster to observe nude peeps hahahhhahahah

You get naked to go too the toilet ?

James97 wrote:

I think its more a case of the toilets being off in the surveyors report then the smiler bring off. I'd love to know what tolerances they work with ?

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm

No I was just finding a less rude way to say it good joke though  :lol: :D

ReZourceman
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 pm

15th May would kind of be a disaster for me.

I arranged a trip between 5 different people, all in full time work (before the delays announced) for May. It is a huge huge huge pain to arrange everyone getting time off at the same time (from all over the country too) and we are headed to Alton on May 10th.

:/