UK theme parks from another point of view!

mayer79
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:13 pm

And wots that?
Dont look down↓

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:14 pm

mayer79 wrote:
And wots that?

More lift hill.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:15 pm

mayer79 wrote:
And wots that?

Could be track, or vertical lift hill support structure.

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:03 pm

is there any way to buy merchandise from the smiler online? thanks
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Hmv
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 pm

That walkway has been there all weekend, last night there was also some more walkway on a trailer ready to be taken to site  :)

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:27 pm

The opening date news for The Smiler has been taken off the homepage!
Do you think this means that it won't open on May15th, or do you think Alton asked them to take it off the website?

Liam B
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 pm

it is indeed now not confirmed. the posted of facebook that it is exceptionally unlikely that it will be open by then.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Not being open "by then" gives us a 16 day window for its opening. As long as they can stick to their May release date. On the scale of it. Can they really be judging the opening within 16 days? with the construction spanning many months having a 16 day window to have it open by is a bit tight surely?
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Benjsh

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Not being open "by then" gives us a 16 day window for its opening. As long as they can stick to their May release date. On the scale of it. Can they really be judging the opening within 16 days? with the construction spanning many months having a 16 day window to have it open by is a bit tight surely?

I have just posted about this in the Speculation topic. I'm predicting it will be open in time for June half term which starts on sat 25th May. Hope so anyway.

I just didn't understand the 15th. It's a wednesday isn't it? They will get some Celeb to open it on a saturday I'd imagine.

AndreJD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 pm

From a construction perspective, I'd think the track would pretty much all be up by the end of the month. Perhaps things like the lift hills might drag into April, but they are making good progress now and the weather should (theoretically) be getting better. There's a lot more to do, including building the station and maintenance shed, the marmaliser and things, but 6 weeks should be enough time. A week or two for testing, ironing out kinks brings you towards the end of May, which I think is reasonable. If they got it finished for mid May I wouldn't have been gobsmacked but it's probably unreasonable given the delays we've had since we first got the date pushed back.

mitchellcollier
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Was talking to my granddad the other day and he was the first to tell me about the delayed opening till but he also think that it may not be ready till the very end of May. We discussed all the elements that are going to take time to be working and he said the amount of work going into the electrics is crazy ! He did also mention he think it will be open for late May but not all the features to be up.

Just like to mention like last time he is not part of the construction team but he does visit the site often and see's progress daily and also talks to the people on site about construction. Also don't bother asking me about any of the SE because he said some of the builders have no idea either.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:20 pm

Booked the 30th and 31st may to be safe but starting to doubt wether it will be finished now. The track is going up quick now but it's all the electrics and techy stuff

ethanthecoasterfreak
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Let's just be positive!

serious sam!
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 pm

ethanthecoasterfreak wrote:
Let's just be positive!

Agreed, Im sure it will be open by the end of may!

*slight sigh*

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Ok, Just to show people some form of time scale that i've been looking at.......

Feb 21st..... 3 weeks 4 days ago this is what the construction site looked like

And now look....

And this photo is several days old now seeing as they have started construction of the sea serpent roll and the break run into the 2nd lift hill AND the maintenance shed is taking better shape, i'm not a construction expert i know, however i reckon that within the next 4 weeks we will see a completed rollercoaster (including station), landscaping will probably take ~2weeks and testing another 2 again.

However testing and landscaping can be done at the same time, i would be highly surprised if many of the electronic components weren't already wired up to some form of central hub, and lets face it if we had seen this much construction by 18th Jan we would probably be sat here now still looking forward to a March 16th opening without too much concern.

For any construction of this magnitude they were bound to have some kind of problem, but having 2/3 maybe even 4 of these is a highly unlikely event, it can only get better from here onwards, if it came down to it they could have 30+ men on site to finish off any of the small details and landscaping, and hopefully we will see at least some massive smiler logos plastered over that pit to give it at least some personality.

If i were to make a guess as to an opening date I would have to say May 22nd to allow ride ops a few days before it gets truly manic and also gives them 3/4 days before a busy weekend allowing any last minute tweaks to be worked out, i would expect a preview weekend on the 16th (possibly minus a little bit of theming) with some form of special guest.

I cannot wait for this to open and want it to be open tomorrow ... however i reckon due to health and safety laws it may not be possible ;) XD ah well... bring on May I can't wait to #getcorrected

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 am

The smiler have 15 inversions !! See now the wikipedia
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:47 am

getothing wrote:

Wiki can be changed by anyone at any time... would like to see if it's still up there by this time tomorrow night.... see if someone from TT admin changes it back to minimum 8......

I will hold judgement until it appears as "official" news

EDIT: It appears as if it has been stating this since the 16th :/..... i do wonder whether anyone else had noticed
Last edited by Phild94 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

undeadarmy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 am

getothing wrote:

Never trust Wikipedia.

jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 am

Not sure if this has been posted, but I found this on Facebook, apparently from Merlin Entertainments Germany.

ollboll9
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:19 am

jordanc14 wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted, but I found this on Facebook, apparently from Merlin Entertainments Germany.

Look underneath it says EDT Energy London Eye when its EDF so that could easily be a misspell they are a german company and English my guess isn't there first language but perhaps i'm wrong?
Poop. Always