UK theme parks from another point of view!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 pm

That was at Gerst's factory, it would have been dismantled after painting, and then delivered for re-assembly.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Okay thanks  :D

Forza_Dan24
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Does anyone know typically at what point during construction are the trains installed on the track? I would assume they are the last thing to go on but I'm curious whether they hide them away in the maintenance shed or something (obviously when that has been completed) so they can be worked on prior to testing, if this is necessary at all. :)
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Pretty much the last thing after track is constructed but are stored in maintenance until the pull through around the track is complete

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Haven't seen any sign of an on ride photo camera, any ideas where this could go?

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:09 pm

I would assume IF they have a secret element then it would go there otherwise I would love it to take the photo when your upside-down

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Just thought I would post this to show how Gerstlauer vertical lifts work.

Watch from the first second and look to the chain at the back and you will see a chain dog that comes round then the chain slows down, engages on the train then the lift speeds up.

:D

SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:31 pm

danny.g97 wrote:
Haven't seen any sign of an on ride photo camera, any ideas where this could go?

The iPhone game shows flashing lights as part of the marmalising process, I imagine they'll incorporate it here?
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure

Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:32 pm

So I was right it was the trains oh yes first guess and right

rhino18
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:22 pm

^No need to brag. ;)

ramplad
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm

sorry to sound like a complete mong lol, but can someone explain what a pull through is on the testing phase, does this mean they pull the trains around the track to test clearance etc, i'm confused  :oops: 

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:12 pm

ramplad wrote:
sorry to sound like a complete mong lol, but can someone explain what a pull through is on the testing phase, does this mean they pull the trains around the track to test clearance etc, i'm confused  :oops:

Yup, it can be part of the train too where they just push it through to test clearance and allignments and such

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Full photo of trains are up on fb.  Not seeing anything world first like..

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:33 pm

ramplad wrote:

I believe a pull through is when they use a big piece of wood that is the dimensions of the train and passengers as if there arms were out stretched as far as physically possible. And they pull it through the course too make sure there will be no collisions with obstacles and/or other track. Once safe they can run the real train on the track with dummy's.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

jackcullen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
ramplad wrote:

I believe a pull through is when they use a big piece of wood that is the dimensions of the train and passengers as if there arms were out stretched as far as physically possible. And they pull it through the course too make sure there will be no collisions with obstacles and/or other track. Once safe they can run the real train on the track with dummy's.

Or the car may be sent round with it bolted on the front sometimes, if any of it's damaged you got a problem lol. Doing it that way saves a lot of time and a ride of that speed probably won't get a pull through. Tbh I've never actually seen any coaster have a pull through besides largers Intamins and it'll be incredibly difficult and time consuming on this since you'd have to use a block and tackle to shift the train and you'd struggle to cover more then 100ft of track a day!
Last edited by jackcullen on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tryst
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Intanim did a pull through on Formula Rossa. It took a few days, IIRC. The problem with skipping a manual pull through is that if a collision does occur, there's no way of knowing where along the track that happened. On the pull through there's the opportunity to directly witness any problems.

D-Man
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!

Ar128
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:39 pm

D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Go on the front row then! hehe  :lol:
Smile!!

Instant Mix
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm

D-Man wrote:

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?

Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:

Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.

It work for me still