UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Evostance
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 528
Joined: January 2005

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.

It work for me still


You're looking at it on a screen..
 
User avatar
MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 185
Joined: May 2012
Location: West Bromwich

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Evostance wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.

It work for me still


You're looking at it on a screen..


HAHAHA. I will say That I've seen similar illusions printed out and they still work.
Image
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
 
User avatar
Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2827
Joined: March 2012
Location: South East

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Evostance wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.

It work for me still


You're looking at it on a screen..


HAHAHA. I will say That I've seen similar illusions printed out and they still work.

That's what I mean I have a poster

I'm not that stupid
Image
 
Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester, UK
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 pm

I have a feeling the "front row" isn't constant on this type of train, it looks like four rows of 4 seats, loosely combined to make a 4x4 train. I have a feeling they may split and form new trains during the ride, maybe on the vertical lift
 
Coasterfan312
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 36
Joined: January 2013
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, UK

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 pm

andzdrew wrote:
I have a feeling the "front row" isn't constant on this type of train, it looks like four rows of 4 seats, loosely combined to make a 4x4 train. I have a feeling they may split and form new trains during the ride, maybe on the vertical lift


No. Just no. Cars can't just split and form a new train, especially on a single track. Weight and velocity issues would make that extremely unreliable. Can't believe I even had to explain that...
Smiling since 1997.
Theme Parks Visited: 19
Rollercoasters Ridden: 75
Image
 
User avatar
Kenzie2012
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 634
Joined: February 2012
Location: Leeds

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 pm

andzdrew wrote:
I have a feeling the "front row" isn't constant on this type of train, it looks like four rows of 4 seats, loosely combined to make a 4x4 train. I have a feeling they may split and form new trains during the ride, maybe on the vertical lift



Wow..... Just wow!!

That has got to be the most imaginative I have seen on the forum!
"Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”
 
User avatar
wolfy
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 17
Joined: February 2013
Location: Manchester, Bolton

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Image
i think they're going to rotate backwards for a section tof track
Image
 
Andzdrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 9
Joined: December 2012
Location: Leicester, UK
Contact:

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 pm

At least it would be a world's first going on that reaction lol
 
User avatar
BHXDMT
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 18
Joined: December 2012
Location: Staffordshire

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Was on park briefly today to try out The Sanctuary, not a lot of track left in the car parks now. Great to see this in person, it really is huge! Loving the trains too.
 
D-Man
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 405
Joined: May 2007
Location: Grangemouth, Scotland

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.


Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?
Image
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!
 
M3tabolic
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 7
Joined: November 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 pm

D-Man wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.


Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?


This whole discussion has nothing to do with construction.

The illusion does work when printed... it doesn't have to be on a screen. There is a high res version in the trains thread. Print it yourself and try it!


Back on construction - Have there been any lift-hill developments on site yet?

How long do people think the 'pull through' will take for this coaster?

Also does anyone know if there are any photos of other coasters in the testing phase with this wooden collision board thing bolted on? I've never seen this before and I'm intrigued.
Last edited by M3tabolic on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Evostance
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 528
Joined: January 2005

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm

M3tabolic wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.


Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?


This whole discussion has nothing to do with construction.

The illusion does work when printed... it doesn't have to be on a screen. There is a high res version in the trains thread. Print it yourself and try it!


Back on construction - Have there been any lift-hill developments on site yet?

How long do people think the 'pull through' will take for this coaster?

Also does anyone know if there are any photos of other coasters in the testing phase with this wooden collision board thing bolted on? I've never seen this before and I'm intrigued.



Not a great photo but you get the idea:

Image
 
User avatar
Creative05
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 4
Joined: December 2012
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 pm

M3tabolic wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.


Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?


This whole discussion has nothing to do with construction.

The illusion does work when printed... it doesn't have to be on a screen. There is a high res version in the trains thread. Print it yourself and try it!


Back on construction - Have there been any lift-hill developments on site yet?

How long do people think the 'pull through' will take for this coaster?

Also does anyone know if there are any photos of other coasters in the testing phase with this wooden collision board thing bolted on? I've never seen this before and I'm intrigued.



https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_5kB75IBD8

Great documentary which I'm sure everyone has seen.  Skip to 27 mins and watch from there....
 
dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 375
Joined: October 2012
Location: Here

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:52 am

Creative05 wrote:
M3tabolic wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Instant Mix wrote:
D-Man wrote:
Got to say the hypnosis illusion on the back of those trains is going to make so many people dizzy and sick, not something I want to experience while on this ride! I've never been sick after a ride and I don't think I ever will be but those that do are going to be even worse off on this ride, and I hate people being sick!  :(

Although I do like the look of the trains, wished they didn't have a flat front though. Really wanted Lapbars but maybe they thought with the amount of inversions that people would feel scared to ride it?


Whoever put that illusion on didn't do their research though - that form of illusion only works on computer screens. Because of the way the red , green and blue pixels are spaced apart, it gives an illusion of movement. It won't have the same effect in reality.


Yeah, maybe that was intentional then so that people think it will actually work but it's just for show?


This whole discussion has nothing to do with construction.

The illusion does work when printed... it doesn't have to be on a screen. There is a high res version in the trains thread. Print it yourself and try it!


Back on construction - Have there been any lift-hill developments on site yet?

How long do people think the 'pull through' will take for this coaster?

Also does anyone know if there are any photos of other coasters in the testing phase with this wooden collision board thing bolted on? I've never seen this before and I'm intrigued.



https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S_5kB75IBD8

Great documentary which I'm sure everyone has seen.  Skip to 27 mins and watch from there....


I wonder if they will do 2 pull throughs at the same time so they can check the clearances at the points where the trains will duel.
Image
 
chrisa74
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 0
Joined: March 2013
Location: midlands

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:04 am

I think looking at those trains that a launch is not going to happen unless anyone can show me a ride that launches trains that wide.
 
Sam198
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 708
Joined: October 2012

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 am

chrisa74 wrote:
I think looking at those trains that a launch is not going to happen unless anyone can show me a ride that launches trains that wide.


This.

Image

Not that I'm saying this thing will have a launch or anything - in fact I'm certain it won't. But as you asked... ;)
 
chrisa74
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 0
Joined: March 2013
Location: midlands

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 am

Sam198 wrote:
chrisa74 wrote:
I think looking at those trains that a launch is not going to happen unless anyone can show me a ride that launches trains that wide.


This.

Image

Not that I'm saying this thing will have a launch or anything - in fact I'm certain it won't. But as you asked... ;)


thanks im glad im wrong still doubt it will but at least theres a small chance
 
User avatar
dylan.tempelaars
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 23
Joined: February 2013
Location: you shall never know!

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:23 am

is theyre any construction updates today?
some people call me insane, you are right!
 
Danny

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 am

dazza4783 wrote:
I wonder if they will do 2 pull throughs at the same time so they can check the clearances at the points where the trains will duel.


Probably not. This is going to be one of the most complicated pull throughs of any ride ever done by the looks of it, due to the amount of tightly packed track. They're going to need at least three cranes to get one train around. I'm assuming they'll use the same equipment used on The Swarm. It was the same width as the wing rider train to ensure it could make it through the near miss elements. If they use two of them but shaped to suit the basic feel of a Smiler train, they can probably check the clearance points themselves without having to send the train around.

dylan.tempelaars wrote:
is theyre any construction updates today?


Roodlesnouter is currently on park, so we'll see what he can do for us :)
 
User avatar
dylan.tempelaars
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 23
Joined: February 2013
Location: you shall never know!

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:27 am

whooohoo roodlesnouter! :moj
some people call me insane, you are right!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests