UK theme parks from another point of view!

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:19 pm

NINJAwarrior360 wrote:
James97 wrote:
Im Sorry? They Put a piece of track the WRONG way around? How does one do this?

Wow, assuming it was the final bunny hill?

Heres the photo from facebook From Trumans Fones There is also another showing it getting turned around.

RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:33 pm

James97 wrote:
NINJAwarrior360 wrote:
James97 wrote:

Heres the photo from facebook From Trumans Fones There is also another showing it getting turned around.

Can you upload that one too?
I assume the second airtime hill is completed now, right?

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:33 pm

How did they manage that? Come on I thought these people were meant to be smart!
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Do we have an estimation yet of when the V lift will be complete?

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:53 pm

James97 wrote:
NINJAwarrior360 wrote:
James97 wrote:

I think this just goes to show my earlier point for which I was slated for. The construction work on The Smiler has been sub-standard and delayed. Not a good show by the contractors.

At least the ride is looking good though...

Danscott22
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Does anyone know if the footers for the vertical lift hill have been poured with concrete yet? The lifts must be up for the end of the Easter holidays, along with the rest of the circuit, or I'd say it won't open till 25th-31st May, if they are done by then, I'm gonna say somewhere between the 15th-20th. :) Thanks

RobJackson85
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:27 pm

James97 wrote:

I may be being daft here, but have I missed out a couple of pages of construction?

Last I saw the tickler brushes where being installed, a photo of the vertical lift trench was shown, and then all of a sudden there's talk of the second air time hill being installed the wrong way round.

Can any one direct me to the missed posts please!?
http://www.torn.com/1562191 - Torn City, free online txt based RPG. Sign up through this link, get to level 10 and earn 5 million in-game $'s

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Danscott22 wrote:
Does anyone know if the footers for the vertical lift hill have been poured with concrete yet? The lifts must be up for the end of the Easter holidays, along with the rest of the circuit, or I'd say it won't open till 25th-31st May, if they are done by then, I'm gonna say somewhere between the 15th-20th. :) Thanks

It's gonna open on the 31st anyways. Look on the smiler website for the 5/31/13 graphic that becomes smile. I've explained this once before somewhere if you want both sides of the argument. It's either a few pages back (page 1 to 5 possibly) or on the speculation page not sure
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:49 pm

I would bet my house on it. I know it's blindingly obvious but since when have alton towers been subtle cough thirteen secret element cough

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:59 pm

TheSmiler1998 wrote:
Danscott22 wrote:

It's gonna open on the 31st anyways. Look on the smiler website for the 5/31/13 graphic that becomes smile. I've explained this once before somewhere if you want both sides of the argument. It's either a few pages back (page 1 to 5 possibly) or on the speculation page not sure

I think the numbers are merely there to turn to make the smile, as they were there even before the delay was announced. Theyre numbers. Also, 31st is the last possible date it could be open so if they were pushed for time then yes, theyd have to open may 31st if they didnt want to delay, they can open it anytime earlier than that once its been tested and passed, which im sure will be before

Construction wise, all seems to be going on today! which is good to see, great photos too! Ok, they got it the wrong way around but at least this was picked up and corrected swiftly lol :) looking forward to the update later. It  will be good to compare the older images to the new ones...and i cant wait to see the smiler in the shining sun :D

Hitch
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Here's the other images of the track being swapped around, it is a little worrying but im not sure if they actually bolted it down before they realised they had made a mistake.
Credit to Trumans Fones
"The workers got it wrong !! So had to undo it all and turn the track around !!!"

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 pm

I just think that it's a massive coincidence if it doesn't open on the 31st of may. Anyways they want to make the date memorable, some random in may wont be.

Mi7's pictures will look amazing and will show some perspective, also will show that the marmaliser isn't a kids toywhichi heard so many times! It will show it tone big and amazing

Danscott22
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:30 pm

It will be open before 31st May, like everyone else says, theyre the easiest numbers that make the word smile, i think we could be looking mid May actually.

Codmaster

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:48 pm

TheSmiler1998 wrote:
Danscott22 wrote:

You have no idea how much I want this ride to open well before the 31st.

Your hypothesis would mean that he ride would open in 60 years! If your not sure, check: 53173 or 31st of May 2073, or 31/05/73, or, in backwards American style, 05/31/73

Yes, as per your preveous argument, in context you 'could' assume that the 7 is a 1, but this image was most likely made out of the context of the opening date.

Rather, the marketing team sat together and thought, "d'yknow what would look cool? If some numbers turned into the word smile!", and they simply picked the most convenient numbers, that is it, nothing more.

Read into it if you want, but the image had absolutely nothing to do with the opening date, I personally guarentee it. Instead I base my veiw on what I can see with my own eyes, and from the pictures, as many, many other people have said, it will open towards the back end of may, simple.

dylan.tempelaars
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:03 pm

is there still a update tonight because banners etc. havent been put up on here nor has it been mentioned on here lately :/
some people call me insane, you are right!

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Lets agree to disagree  :D
I just think that it's too much of a coincidence
Doesn't really matter that much though really as most people have suggested between the 20th and 31st of may meaning that there's only really 11 days in it
We will soon tell depending on when the marmaliser is finished as when that is done the track will have already been completed and the testing will commence
My guess is that it will happen early may/late April
Then there's the 200 hours of testing
Which realistically will take at least 20 days being 10 hours a day
If they test for a shorter period of time each day then this will meant it will take longer which points towards the 31st in my honest opinion (about7 hours would mean opening for the 31st- I know I did the maths

bryanycroft
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm going on june 7th to be safe although I think it will open a few weeks before then. Also I've been surprised at how quick construction has gone lately:)

Domino
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Lets agree to disagree 
I just think that it's too much of a coincidence
Doesn't really matter that much though really as most people have suggested between the 20th and 31st of may meaning that there's only really 11 days in it
We will soon tell depending on when the marmaliser is finished as when that is done the track will have already been completed and the testing will commence
My guess is that it will happen early may/late April
Then there's the 200 hours of testing
Which realistically will take at least 20 days being 10 hours a day
If they test for a shorter period of time each day then this will meant it will take longer which points towards the 31st in my honest opinion (about7 hours would mean opening for the 31st- I know I did the maths

You're reading into this way too much.

They've nearly finished the track and marmiliser, testing will most likely happen next week (pull-through). While testing is happening, it gives them time to work on the station and theming. And to add onto the point of 31st opening, why would Alton Towers give return tickets for May (which stresses riding The Smiler, if its only opening on the final day of the month? That means people visiting for the first 30 days of the month will be just as disappointed as they were before. Realistically, I bet they'll open it between 10th and 20th May.

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Anyways it's a forum and we are all intitled to an opinion and let's leave it at that
I'm going in June to be safe although it will definitely open in may just dunno what day

Can't wait for MI7's pictures they should be great

jb19852
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:30 pm

ok the tickler looks awful so far. I quite like the flasher but this just looks, er, cheap