UK theme parks from another point of view!

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:01 am

george2v wrote:
Let's take a closer look at the artwork released by the Daily Mail. Sorry about it being slightly blurry, I was just trying to zoom in! We can see from this picture that there's clearly only one 'pipe' going into the first needle, which then leads to a box. However, I can't see where exactly the pipe is going into any of the needles - though judging by the second one I would hazard a guess that it 'injects' air/water/custard/any more of the obscure ideas everybody's contemplating through the side of the needle, and then goes downwards and releases itself through the needle part but part of it then goes upwards, due to pressure, into the next needle and so on.
So to me, it does look like it's definitely going to be sending something from one needle to another, through a kind of 'daisy chain', if you like.
However, every single psychological element on this ride, all 5, seem to have pipes and wires going into them so this could simply be all part of the themeing ... or even an electricity supply to do, as has also been contemplated, small movements in order to create near misses?
I wasn't sure how to insert the image onto the forum but if you want to take a look, I've put it on photobucket here http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o77 ... f56fed.jpg

The big pipes at the top are theming only, the actually spray system is all inside and runs through the back of the needle directly into the framework of the leg so it's invisible. it then runs along the leg and down to the ground either by way of the centre piece or down the leg to the footer... So to clarify, they are hiding the real pipes so you only see the fake ones. The main reason for this is obviously pure aesthetics. Plus the pipeing needed for the air/water pipes are actually really thin. So having them visible would actually look pretty silly with how small they are. So they use those big fake ones instead.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

Rollercoasters4Life
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:02 am

Ripsaw Raver wrote:
picture i took today of the Inoculator
http://flic.kr/p/e9QXWW

All images from forum member Ripsaw Raver - Some great pictures of his I felt needed posting fully - All images taken 8th April 2013

What you see when coming from the Towers side:

The Inoculator leg - Now with Syringes added:

Another angle of the Inoculator leg:

The Tickler leg - with the brushes added now and what looks to be a motor on the right to allow it to spin. Also a nice look at the Airtime hill after the dive loops:

The vertical lift hill trench now with completed footers and the footers to the left for the first inverted drop:

Station walls now complete on all sides - Theming pipes starting to be added to the station building:

Marmaliser & Track overview:

Overview of the Marmaliser & its legs:

Once again, the thanks go to Ripsaw Raver for the images. Its looking better day by day!
Last edited by Rollercoasters4Life on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DannyNewbro
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:43 am

Baffles wrote:
The house in horseshoe wood is owned by Alton Towers and is currently housing the construction team.

It houses most people on the park...

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 am

I haven't posted in a while but been following the construction every now and then the coaster itself looks great but I feel them concete fence panels everywhere really let's the area of X sector down. I just hope that around the area it has high fences like around Oblivion to make it look like it fits the area better and feels it's a well guarded ride.
I think also Soft openings will be pushed back to May now as we already nearly half way into April and it's track still
Isn't finished yet.

RCT3Bross
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 am

Good to see them so far that they can make the first drop and vertical lift.
My guess is that they first do the first drop, followed by the vertical lift, followed by the final turn, followed by the other drop (into the sea serpent), followed by the first lift hill.
It just sounds to me as the most logical way to build from the back to the front. (from construction entrance/exit.)

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:34 am

Rumour has it alton have called a press evening for the smiler on may 17th and the opening of the ride the next day. Apparently selected media representatives have already been invited.

This is my source:
http://riderater.co.uk/2013/alton-tower ... #more-2952

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

danny.g97 wrote:
Rumour has it alton have called a press evening for the smiler on may 17th and the opening of the ride the next day. Apparently selected media representatives have already been invited.

This is my source:

If it is I will scream I TOLD YOU SO! As I said it would open on the 18th as the sun had little stars in the news paper free ticket thing when the ride would not be open and they stop on the 18th

bealyboy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

Thrillmad wrote:
danny.g97 wrote:

This is my source:

If it is I will scream I TOLD YOU SO! As I said it would open on the 18th as the sun had little stars in the news paper free ticket thing when the ride would not be open and they stop on the 18th

Makes so much sense
It's it the middle of the two bank holidays as towers aimed and its a Saturday so at weekends they can get more staff and More people are off work to visit.
SMILE.ALWAYS

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am

Anyone else think, what apears to be the supports for the final turn around, looks to be quite high ?

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Boz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:11 am

I think that tall one, is for the 2nd inverted drop ;)

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:13 am

^^^I agree
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 am

Boz wrote:
I think that tall one, is for the 2nd inverted drop ;)

I thought that, but it looks to be the wrong angle for the track that we can see in the picture so i thought the 2nd inverted drop would sit on the footer too the right ???

Pure speculation, if the taller support was for the final turnaround, wouldnt it be great if it was an extremely banked final turn, technically a cutback lol
Last edited by clayj on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

dustymacdexter
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 am

going to alton towers on thursday hopefully i will get some good construction pictures  ;)

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am

So has the vertical lift trench been finished? It still looks like there is walls to be put in on the right hand side? And will they work on the lift hill today if its pouring with rain?

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 am

danny.g97 wrote:
So has the vertical lift trench been finished? It still looks like there is walls to be put in on the right hand side? And will they work on the lift hill today if its pouring with rain?

If work was due to start on the vertical lift today, I'd imagine they'd press on with it regardless of some rain. Not forgetting that the would have been doing this during the winter months if snow and other complications hadn't halted the progress so much.  :P

I think we'll see the vertical lift first, followed by the final turn, followed by second drop, followed by first lift hill (in that area at least. Don't know about the first drop).

With a construction project like this, I think it's all about 'layering'. By that, I mean that the lowest structure goes in first, followed by whatever is immediately above it and so on. So in the case, the entrance to the vertical lift will go in first as it doesn't go over any other pieces of track. The next segment immediately above it is the final turn, then the second drop ends up going over the top of that.

The first lift hill will need to go up after all those, as by that point they would have constructed everything that needs the extra access the first lift would otherwise be blocking.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am

New picture from TowersStreet on Facebook.
Thank you to whoever made that show up.
Last edited by Capt.Barnacles on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 am

danny.g97 wrote:

This is my source:

It was posted on twitter by Towers Talk, I will admit that my gut instinct of the 31st was wrong but my timing plan for a mid may opening looks like it will be correct!
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 am

Buschgardensfan wrote:
New picture from TowersStreet on Facebook.
Thank you to whoever made that show up.

The poisonous gas logo on those canisters is fantastic using the logo instead if the skull :D not sure if that was in the game or not but either way it's great

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

fishdalf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am

Thrillmad wrote:
danny.g97 wrote:

This is my source:

And I've got mine for the 23rd sitting right here.  :D
Get Corrected

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 am

I'm still down for 15 inversions with the final inversion being some sort of inversion filling the final turn. Makes sense to build it last to keep the count unknown until the very last segment is installed. The high support in the arc for the final turn is filling me with suspicion!