UK theme parks from another point of view!

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:49 am

ben.fellows.5 wrote:
Hi, I have been keeping track of the construction since day 1, and I have noticed something about the tickler arm of the Marmaliser. I take it the brushes will brush you when you past, however they would have to restrict people being able to hold their arms up, because if they did, their arm would smash against the metal part in the middle, holding it together. The tickler is very low down, so i presume it must brush the riders face, upper body. Any ideas how they would stop this? Just seems a bit dangerous to me!

Thanks.

I think it's going to be one of those headchopper illusion things; when an object appears lower than it actually is. They'll have taken into account how high someone's arms could go and will have made sure that the brushes are at a safe distance away :D

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 am

ben.fellows.5 wrote:
Hi, I have been keeping track of the construction since day 1, and I have noticed something about the tickler arm of the Marmaliser. I take it the brushes will brush you when you past, however they would have to restrict people being able to hold their arms up, because if they did, their arm would smash against the metal part in the middle, holding it together. The tickler is very low down, so i presume it must brush the riders face, upper body. Any ideas how they would stop this? Just seems a bit dangerous to me!

Thanks.

I don't think there's any intention of The Tickler's brushes, actually brushing the riders, otherwise riders will not come off smiling. It will look like their face has been whipped multiple times, and I can't help but feel that that wouldn't go down well.

EDIT: Too slow again, just because I tried to make my post humorous -.-
DOUBLE EDIT: I had to click post 3 times before it would actually post it!!!

jordanc14
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 am

If I get chance, will tweet some updates of the smiler today @jordanc14 . The marmaliser and the whole ride is massive!!!

TheSmiler1998
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 am

Alton aren't exactly prepared for millions of law suits because several limbs have been removed from their original housing body
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

Codmaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:53 am

On another note, we have gale force winds here in wrexham, which will move up to 'towers end possibly by lunchtime, so I really can't see a great deal of lifting being done after 12pm.

Edit: Alton Towers Weather Forecast

West Midlands
Forecast Summary
Today
Remaining windy. A band of rain, heavy at times in the west, will move eastwards through the region, becoming lighter as it does. Drier and brighter conditions following behind.

Tonight
A few scattered showers are possible, but most places remaining dry with clear spells. Remaining windy across all parts, but remaining mild.

Environmental Summary
UV: 1
UK Range: 1-7
Pollen: Low
UK Range: Low to Very High

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/st10
Last edited by Codmaster on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
A university lecturer once told me: "you'll know that you're a physicist when you approximate a horse for a sphere to make the math easier, you'll know you're an engineer when you tell physicist that he's wrong."

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:54 am

ben.fellows.5 wrote:

Thanks.

It does look very close, but regulations say that there cannot be anything at all that can breach the 'safety envelope', or basically, the maximum possible space that riders could extend their arms outside the car. It's close enough to make you think you're about to hit it, but it will never be close enough for you to actually touch.

There's a similar concept on the Runaway Mine Train after the first turn out of the station. You go over the structure with lots of low beams that when approaching are in-line with your field of vision (making you think you're going to hit it), but by the time you actually reach it you're well underneath it. The Marmaliser elements work in a similar way. They're low enough to make you think you're about to hit it, but in reality you're well out of the way  :)

N3m3s1s
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 am

Do we think that the vertical lift will be completed today?
Last edited by N3m3s1s on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

emdotdee
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:01 am

The tickler will be interesting when it rains. Getting whipped by the water as you shoot under it.

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 am

N3m3s1s wrote:

No I don't, as someone said before, there are gale force winds on the way to AT. I would expect them to maybe get some track down going up the lift, however they won't do much due to the wind, as it is unsafe to.
Last edited by SmileyMan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Codmaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 am

N3m3s1s wrote:

I really hope so, but I do fear that the horrendous weather might prevent lifting.
Last edited by Codmaster on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A university lecturer once told me: "you'll know that you're a physicist when you approximate a horse for a sphere to make the math easier, you'll know you're an engineer when you tell physicist that he's wrong."

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 am

Due to the nature of these cranes (non fixed, portable single boom cranes) the tolerances for wind are very small. Any mention of the words "Gale Force" and these things switch off and stay off for sometime. In fact I believe they can't be reused until passed as safe by the site foreman and H&S leader. So vertical construction will be minimum to non existent. Ground works and station works will be fine as long as you are on fixed flooring out of natures view. So no scaffolding use today either. If it really is gale force winds today we won't see much at all. but construction would still continue on the ground and inside station building.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:14 am

Also won't they need to complete the first inverted drop, before completing the vertical lift as it goes under the top of the lift, and I would imagine maneuvering track under the lift hill would be a bit too precarious if not impossible.

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:17 am

^ I don't think it does, does it?

MrMrMr
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:18 am

From ATG Facebook, looks like they're still using the cranes. :)

Codmaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:20 am

Just a note:

Wind speed @ alton towers = 23mph
Gale force anything over 30mph

Current wind speed at my house = 36mph

So as of yet, they can still work on the cranes, unless the wind tolerance is under 23mph!?

Interesting point, the Beaufort scale indicates that 23mph is a moderate breeze. Nothing too bad to work in!
Last edited by Codmaster on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

youarecorrectsir
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:20 am

emdotdee wrote:
The tickler will be interesting when it rains. Getting whipped by the water as you shoot under it.

Although it doesn't look as though anything has been put in place, I would love to see them purposefully include water into the tickler so that you get sprayed EVERY time! That would be quite a fun little addition and just that extra dimension!
"Everybody dies, but not everybody lives"

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:26 am

Due to it being a Sunday, & weather dependant, I can't see to much being completed track wise, however, i'm sure allot will be done behind the scene which most people don't appreciate the scale of electronic work alone needing done etc
Last edited by clayj on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Altitude
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 am

I get more excited with every picture! This coaster will be great.

Danny

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:11 pm

More pieces of the vertical lift are going up [in the air] Credit to Roodlesnouter for the image:

truckaddict
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Any sign of track going up today?

Bi and proud