UK theme parks from another point of view!

Richardio123
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - Construction Discussion

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 am

Just hope we don't get to wet.. The construction photos look amazing thank you as per roodles!
so excited.. feels like christmas !  :P :oops: :joy:
Signature Pending.. ;D

LaurenceColes
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:30 am

Can I just say... roodlesnouter your photos are amazing you alway know exactly what to look at at the right time! Thank you sir! Looking forward to your next upload!  :D

I know this wasn't a construction related post and yes I did click the thanks button on photo posts, but I think roodlesnouter deserves a massive thank you for his awesome construction photos! Also not forgetting everyone else who has provided some awesome and much needed photos from different angles and interesting finds!

As I can't get to Alton until the summer to see for myself, every upload gets me as excited as my labrador when you shout the word "dinner"! So I'd just like to say THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! Your efforts are much appreciated!  :D

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:35 am

roodlesnouter wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
Baffles wrote:
It's a pump room for the various effects, and should apparently be covered.

So we're definitely seeing at least mist OR/AND water sprays from the inoculater then    :D

Silos were dug into the ground months ago, you can see them in the early aerials, Im sure these will hold the water for the inoculator and Gigglers effects.

I brought this up ages ago before they went on, however some people on here which know a bit more about construction suggested they were ground water silos for run off water due to the colour of them and the piping

obliviben
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:45 am

Who would of ever thought that Oblivion would be in a better state than a coaster that is yet to open... The track is filthy, scratched and rusty in places  :( but on a more positive note it looks amazing and I cannot wait to ride it  :D

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:49 am

obliviben wrote:
Who would of ever thought that Oblivion would be in a better state than a coaster that is yet to open... The track is filthy, scratched and rusty in places  :( but on a more positive note it looks amazing and I cannot wait to ride it  :D

This has been mentioned a few times. The track will be jetwashed etc before opening, please remember they have come from lying in the car park to being transported into a construction site; things aren't going to still be shiney :P

JonoD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 am

Another thing to add is that we're not used to seeing coaster construction 'warts and all', given that all construction has usually completed by the time the park begins the season.

I expect that all coasters will have some grime and dirt over them when being built, but we would rarely see that, given the park and general construction site would be off limits until opening day. They will give the track and general site a good clean over before opening day.

GigaSurimi
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 am

Yeah would be good if we could all stop complaining about the track being dirty - this has been raised too many times in this discussion already. What do you expect from a construction site, how do you expect to carry these huge and heavy pieces of track without splashing some dirt on them?? The track was laying in the car park, weather conditions haven't been the most beautiful (rain, snow, etc). It will obviously be jet washed once everything is finished (and if not it will quickly go under the rain).

On another note, the vertical lift hill looks absolutely immense. I think this is even accentuated due to the huge supports (the side/diagonal ones). Wow. What a beast this coaster is already! :O

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:07 am

Is anyone on park today?

JayJay90
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 am

SwEDEN wrote:
Is anyone on park today?

The Alton Towers Guide is on site today.
Last edited by JayJay90 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Evostance wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
Baffles wrote:

So we're definitely seeing at least mist OR/AND water sprays from the inoculater then    :D

Silos were dug into the ground months ago, you can see them in the early aerials, Im sure these will hold the water for the inoculator and Gigglers effects.

I brought this up ages ago before they went on, however some people on here which know a bit more about construction suggested they were ground water silos for run off water due to the colour of them and the piping

That is still probably the case. If its right that the marmaliser will spray water etc. (which i have strongly bleieved since seeing the insides of the needles on the inoculator) they will need drainage to collect the water that falls. Otherwise it will just pool up underneath where it is sprayed. The water that is sprayed will not be from a stored unit. It will be from the mains supply. You can't spray stale water that sits in a little silo. They get all sorts of bacteria in them etc.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

owenjohn
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 pm

MatthewR1990 wrote:
Evostance wrote:
roodlesnouter wrote:
Phild94 wrote:
Baffles wrote:

That is still probably the case. If its right that the marmaliser will spray water etc. (which i have strongly bleieved since seeing the insides of the needles on the inoculator) they will need drainage to collect the water that falls. Otherwise it will just pool up underneath where it is sprayed. The water that is sprayed will not be from a stored unit. It will be from the mains supply. You can't spray stale water that sits in a little silo. They get all sorts of bacteria in them etc.

They can pump it through a filter unit and a UV to kill off any bacteria present in it the water can then be re used!

Danny

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Credit to TPW, the vertical lift is now complete:

Scorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 pm

That soon shot up! Looks amazing yet those fins look a tad rusty!

[email protected]$
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Danny wrote:

WOW! That went up fast! And what are them browny metals plates I can see?
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE

JoeGibbon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Those fins are confusing me... That looks like an LIM lift hill, but we already have a chain motor  :shock: Could it be a new type of anti-rollback system, or maybe it's part of a secret element

[email protected]$
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 pm

JoeGibbon wrote:
Could it be a new type of anti-rollback system, or maybe it's part of a secret element

That's what I was thinking, but then remember JW said that you have to ride the ride to find out what the secret element is. Alton Towers are doing good in keeping us in wonder!
#GETCORRECTED
BETTER NOT GO ALONE

temleh
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:19 pm

I did NOT expect it to be that big!

As for the fins, no way are they anti rollback - otherwise they would be on the crest of the lift as well. I think we are looking at Lims here which would explain the substation! Perhaps the train begins the climb normally via the chain, then falls backwards before being launched back up it!

EDIT: you can see the workings underneath the fins to deploy and retract them. I think we have our worlds first here people! ;)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay

JoeGibbon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:23 pm

temleh wrote:

As for the fins, no way are they anti rollback - otherwise they would be on the crest of the lift as well.

Good point, I didn't think of that. Must be something more interesting then xD

GigaSurimi
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:27 pm

JoeGibbon wrote:
temleh wrote:

As for the fins, no way are they anti rollback - otherwise they would be on the crest of the lift as well.

Good point, I didn't think of that. Must be something more interesting then xD

They remind me of the fins on LSM launch track. But I guess they can't be for launch since there is already a chain on this lift. Maybe they are magnetic stuff to control the speed or the balance of the cars when being lifted up?

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Danny wrote:

Well.... That escalated quickly......

But on a more serious note I'm liking the sound of first backward free-fall coaster.......... unless there is any other which works in quite the same way as this.....

Chain lift carries you to the top ... reach the top... hear grinding and other mechanical noise.. a snap.... drop backwards to the bottom/middle of the lift hill and then be LIM'ed to the top again :D XD

Oh but I can only wish ... just realised if this were to happen there would have to be a way for a train to remove itself from the chain lift... and this would be just plain dangerous if it happened accidentally..... (unless all the trains are blocked right and as far away from eachother as possible).... well i'm sure we'll find out soon :D

EDIT:

Last edited by Phild94 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D